THE FORUM

26-Apr-24, 08:33:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If 4th Egg Hatches, Can It Survive?  (Read 4774 times)
DoggyMom
Fluffball

Like Count: 5

View Profile
« on: 11-May-15, 03:45:20 PM »

I can't help wondering if the 4th egg hatches, can the eyas survive? It would be so much smaller and weaker than its siblings that I would think it could not compete for food and would not thrive. Does anyone know anything about this kind of situation?
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 11-May-15, 04:40:55 PM »

It might be a bit challenging but it would have a good chance of surviving.

Peregrine eyases aren't known to be as competitive over food as, say, bald eagles are. Bald eagle eyases are known to peck at their siblings to get to be first & most fed.

Peregrines eyases just open their mouths and get fed. Once stuffed they fall over and the others step up. Once everyone is in a food coma the parent chirps until everyone is awake again for a few more bites.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11-May-15, 06:54:44 PM »

It might be a bit challenging but it would have a good chance of surviving.

Peregrine eyases aren't known to be as competitive over food as, say, bald eagles are. Bald eagle eyases are known to peck at their siblings to get to be first & most fed.

Peregrines eyases just open their mouths and get fed. Once stuffed they fall over and the others step up. Once everyone is in a food coma the parent chirps until everyone is awake again for a few more bites.

Storks too, if there are more than 2, they will peck and peck until the others weaken then mom throws them over the nest. NL has 5 eggs and all 5 have hatched. They say on the site not all will make it!

Caitie
Fledgling

Like Count: 19

Iamnotaddicted

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11-May-15, 10:10:26 PM »

And thats why Ive never been able to watch a stork webcam  Shocked  I only remember one eyas dying and it was heartbreaking. It was so weak but not for lack of Mariah and Kaver trying to feed it. Peregrines are awesome parents.
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12-May-15, 06:56:36 AM »

I've seen many instances of a late hatch, and the eyas usually thrives and does very well.  One of Rhea Mae and Tiago's was very tiny when they brought it down for banding.  I believe that Buffalo had one that was so little at banding, they couldn't band it.

Peregrines know no borders.....
DoggyMom
Fluffball

Like Count: 5

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12-May-15, 11:43:08 AM »

It looks as if Beauty isn't sitting on the egg any more. Does that mean it's probably not going to hatch or just that it's warm enough she doesn't have to sit on it?
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12-May-15, 11:56:31 AM »

It looks as if Beauty isn't sitting on the egg any more. Does that mean it's probably not going to hatch or just that it's warm enough she doesn't have to sit on it?

My thoughts are that it's not going to hatch, she's starting to push it away and eventually it'll be disposed of..either by B & DC or DEC at banding.  This is just my opinion but only Beauty knows for sure.

PatriciaRose
Juvie

Like Count: 23

Nor'Easter

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12-May-15, 06:31:42 PM »

I'm hoping for a miracle & for us to get put in the pefa record book! mbanana but either way, it's all good angel

“There is a destiny That makes us brothers: None goes his way alone: All that we send into the lives of others Comes back into our own.â€
~~Edwin Markham
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: