THE FORUM

20-Sep-24, 04:24:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mariah  (Read 34537 times)
Dot_Forrester
Tiercel

Like Count: 50

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 09-Apr-10, 10:00:46 PM »

There wasn't much more to report.  Dan and I were too far away.  I wasn't able to get any pictures.  Neither of us saw a split wing tip.  Female based on size.  We believe adult.

Many of the Watchers continue to check out the areas where Mariah had been seen, but nothing yet.  We'll keep watching.

Thanks, Carol.  But there was a post yesterday in the Rfalconcam Now / Mariah category that said:
"3 falcons at nestbox!  War has ensued!" That's the one I was waiting for further information on.

Dot in PA
Abacab
Big Clutch

Like Count: 2

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 11-Apr-10, 11:32:20 AM »

Todays D & C gave reference that Mariah could be deceased . (DON'T FLAME ME I AM ONLY REPORTING WHAT I READ)
Unless this is confirmed somebody should set them straight as this is how rumors are started.
Medly Center is proof "Gangs hiding under cars with uzi's robbing people"
Mariah is too important to let this happen.
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 11-Apr-10, 01:01:58 PM »

Todays D & C gave reference that Mariah could be deceased . (DON'T FLAME ME I AM ONLY REPORTING WHAT I READ)
Unless this is confirmed somebody should set them straight as this is how rumors are started.
Medly Center is proof "Gangs hiding under cars with uzi's robbing people"
Mariah is too important to let this happen.

I was p'd off when I read the last paragraph where June Summers spoke of her as if she were dead! She's our queen and deserves better!!! tickedoff

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Lord G
Juvie

Like Count: 48

Peregrine Paparazzo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: 11-Apr-10, 01:07:00 PM »

@Dot in PA: The third intruding falcon has not been seen since Thursday afternoon.  It's likely this bird was passing through and thought it might try to seize Archer and Beauty's territory, but finding it well defended, moved on.

Before everyone gets all juiced up over June Summers's  comments in the interview with the D&C (read it HERE), let's all take a deep breath.  

I wouldn't read too much into her comments.  She's just offering one possible explanation for Mariah's absence.  It would have been nice to hear others, but I don't think she was intending to offer a final verdict.  Indeed, without proof (finding her leg bands, for example), no one can say what has happened to her (which is exactly what June said to lead off her quote).

Keep in mind that the newspaper may have only used part of her statement.  Often a whole quote gets shortened by an editor because of space considerations on the page.

So let's not get too worked up over a short article in the paper.

"Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise"
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 11-Apr-10, 01:13:55 PM »

@Dot in PA: The third intruding falcon has not been seen since Thursday afternoon.  It's likely this bird was passing through and thought it might try to seize Archer and Beauty's territory, but finding it well defended, moved on.

Before everyone gets all juiced up over June Summers's  comments in the interview with the D&C (read it HERE), let's all take a deep breath.  

I wouldn't read too much into her comments.  She's just offering one possible explanation for Mariah's absence.  It would have been nice to hear others, but I don't think she was intending to offer a final verdict.  Indeed, without proof (finding her leg bands, for example), no one can say what has happened to her.

Keep in mind that the newspaper may have only used part of her statement.  Often a whole quote gets shortened by an editor because of space considerations on the page.

So let's not get too worked up over a short article in the paper.
I'm not all worked up . I just think people should be more respectful  of the facts when they speak.  For all we know Mariah could be with Kaver  somewhere.(I wish) heart
« Last Edit: 11-Apr-10, 01:20:05 PM by MAK » Logged

-John Burroughs
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 315

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 11-Apr-10, 01:20:31 PM »

I always read the news with a grain of salt...I don't know-I don't see any dirt in with the nestbox gravel as reported...and I doubt June only gave 2 short sentences about Mariah.  In any case, unless her band is reported I choose to believe she is either nesting somewhere we haven't found or she's enjoying her retirement

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 11-Apr-10, 01:33:12 PM »

I just thought it was a terrible way to end the article. Bad editing I guess.

-John Burroughs
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 315

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 11-Apr-10, 01:40:56 PM »

Should have accentuated the positive in my opinion...bad editing for sure...

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 11-Apr-10, 06:16:55 PM »

Hey Dot - I saw that post and headed downtown right after work.  When I found that everything was peaceful and quiet, I tweeted a report saying so.  I saw no evidence of a third falcon or any battle.  Thankfully.   happy

There wasn't much more to report.  Dan and I were too far away.  I wasn't able to get any pictures.  Neither of us saw a split wing tip.  Female based on size.  We believe adult.

Many of the Watchers continue to check out the areas where Mariah had been seen, but nothing yet.  We'll keep watching.

Thanks, Carol.  But there was a post yesterday in the Rfalconcam Now / Mariah category that said:
"3 falcons at nestbox!  War has ensued!" That's the one I was waiting for further information on.

Dot in PA

Peregrines know no borders.....
Lord G
Juvie

Like Count: 48

Peregrine Paparazzo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: 11-Apr-10, 06:17:16 PM »

Usually when you see an abrupt ending to a newspaper article it's been cut short by a section editor.  Journalism 101: Put the most important information at the top of the article so you don't lose too much if the editors have to cut your story short.

"Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise"
birdlover
Eyas

Like Count: 18

"Mariah Is Home" 5-29-09

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 11-Apr-10, 06:33:10 PM »

Myself and 4 others saw the battle Carole, which is why I posted in the Tweet column.  For what it's worth, there was another one on Friday afternoon over by the old factory across from Kodak Park.  I don't think it was Mariah, because this female appears to be only slightly larger than Archer when I saw them near the TSB.  I think there is a third in the area, and was still active as of Friday.

I would NEVER post in the Tweet zone unless I knew it was important.  I work right under the nest box, so I see alot, and know the difference on when to be concerned, and when not to be.

At no time did I try to imply the 3rd pefa was Mariah, nor would I.  She's just as near and dear to my heart as she is to everyone.  I think she has settled into new areas in the West Irondequoit area, and that covers great terrain all the way down to Lake Ontario.  I choose to believe she's happy, hunting, and has found a new mate or is still trying. 

If we've learned one thing about her, it's her resilience and her courage and strength, and I would rather see the glass half full, rather than empty.

Thanks for following up on that post Carole.  I know the watchers do an incredible job.  I pass many of you on my daily route.
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 11-Apr-10, 06:36:48 PM »

Myself and 4 others saw the battle Carole, which is why I posted in the Tweet column.  For what it's worth, there was another one on Friday afternoon over by the old factory across from Kodak Park.  I don't think it was Mariah, because this female appears to be only slightly larger than Archer when I saw them near the TSB.  I think there is a third in the area, and was still active as of Friday.

I would NEVER post in the Tweet zone unless I knew it was important.  I work right under the nest box, so I see alot, and know the difference on when to be concerned, and when not to be.

At no time did I try to imply the 3rd pefa was Mariah, nor would I.  She's just as near and dear to my heart as she is to everyone.  I think she has settled into new areas in the West Irondequoit area, and that covers great terrain all the way down to Lake Ontario.  I choose to believe she's happy, hunting, and has found a new mate or is still trying. 

If we've learned one thing about her, it's her resilience and her courage and strength, and I would rather see the glass half full, rather than empty.

Thanks for following up on that post Carole.  I know the watchers do an incredible job.  I pass many of you on my daily route.

I think Mariah is a smart gal and she wouldn't get into another battle downtown.  My guess too is that she is somewhere nearby.  I hope she is doing well.  And I hope she has a mate.  I miss her

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 11-Apr-10, 06:41:13 PM »

Well, you should definitely stop and say hi next time.  wave Please continue to post what you see.  It's really important to have Watchers that are close to the Times Square bldg reporting on the forum.

Peregrines know no borders.....
birdlover
Eyas

Like Count: 18

"Mariah Is Home" 5-29-09

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 11-Apr-10, 06:48:21 PM »

I will continue Carole.  That event occurred shortly after the 1st egg was laid, and Beauty was in the fray as well.

You've got lots of converts on the ground.  Every time someone asks me if I'm looking at the clouds, I tell them to look up, or check out Mercury's foot, and I get a new fan each and every time.  I now keep my field glasses in my desk, so they can take turns viewing, as well as have them check out the latest "live" pics on my iphone of the nest box.

Ain't technology grand?  If more people took the time to learn, they would be amazed as well!  Thanks Carole.
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 11-Apr-10, 07:17:40 PM »

I am stunned continually at the number of people who are aware of falcons.  It is so cool!  Thank you birdlover for keeping an eye out!!

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: