THE FORUM

28-Apr-24, 01:36:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Florida Eagle cam, Romeo and Juliet have their 1st egg  (Read 51715 times)
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 21-Dec-16, 06:59:09 AM »

Video of NE17 hatching by AEF

http://youtu.be/9RgLNi0tJWU

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 09-Feb-17, 09:33:52 PM »

NE Florida Eaglet Rescue Memo
Early Friday -February 10, 2017 - The American Eagle Foundation (AEF) plans to retrieve the eaglet "Peace" from its wild nest in Northeast Florida.
On February 6, 2017, AEF NEFL Remote Camera Operators alerted AEF officials Al Cecere and Gretchen Butler about the balance problems the 7 week old eaglet was exhibiting. After closely monitoring the eaglet via live streaming nest cams for hours, we noticed black monofilament (commonly used for fishing) wrapped around the left foot, including the hallux. Shortly after the discovery of the fishing line, the female parent "Juliet" appeared to be pulling and tugging on a clump of moss while going after a piece of food, and it is believed that the parent had removed the line from the eaglet's foot.
Once the fishing line was identified, AEF immediately began talking to USFWS and making plans to rescue Peace. We were beyond excited that this problem seemed to have been resolved without the need for human intervention, which is rather rare when fishing line enters a nest. So, thereafter, our plans were to continue to monitor the eaglet, but then a storm rolled through the area knocking power out for almost 24 hours. The electricity was restored on February 8, at which time it was immediately noticed that Peace was still having significant balance problems.
A decision was made on the evening of February 8 to continue plans for the rescue, which will hopefully take place early in the morning on February 10, 2017 - at which time our cams will be taken offline.
Peace will be taken to the Audubon Raptor Center for a complete medical checkup and assessment.
More updates to follow. PLEASE do not call Audubon requesting information or updates, those will be delivered by AEF.

Sad  Here's praying Peace will be OK!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 10-Feb-17, 02:10:54 AM »

pray

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 10-Feb-17, 10:13:04 AM »

eagle Hope the little one is OK. Thanks for posting Donna.

Peregrines know no borders.....
patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 10-Feb-17, 10:20:38 AM »

heart

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 10-Feb-17, 03:15:21 PM »

From the site:

NE Florida Eaglet Rescue Memo

Update: 12:30 PM EST February 10, 2017

Rescue of eaglet “Peace” this morning was successful, and both “Peace” and “Hope” were unharmed. “Peace” was taken to vet clinic for radiograph and blood tests. Nothing serious was detected upon examination on-site by Al Cecere and Audubon vet technician, Sam. No fishing line was found in the nest. Updates will be posted as they become available.

This report is encouraging so far. Hoping everything goes well for both eaglets.
AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 10-Feb-17, 03:35:05 PM »

Peace is being checked over at the Audubon Center for Birds of Prey.

The eaglet has landed. Bald Eaglet No. 051 -2017 arrived from the AEF eagle cam nest and is under evaluation. No fractures were discovered.

Photo: Audubon Center for Birds of Prey.

« Last Edit: 10-Feb-17, 03:44:33 PM by AlisonL » Logged
AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 10-Feb-17, 03:47:19 PM »

The cams are back up. Hope is relaxing in the nest.

Photos: American Eagle Foundation.
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 10-Feb-17, 05:11:49 PM »

clap

-John Burroughs
AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 10-Feb-17, 06:20:20 PM »

An update on Peace from Gretchen of AEF:

"Update: Following a visit to the vet for radiographs and blood work this afternoon, it was determined by the vet and Audubon Supervisor, Diana Flint, that Peace should spend some time at Audubon Center for Birds of Prey for further testing and observation. We love our Peace!"
AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 10-Feb-17, 07:15:40 PM »

Hope in the late day sun:

And then the daylight was gone:

Photos: American Eagle Foundation.

A little earlier, I saw Hope find and eat some leftovers.
AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 11-Feb-17, 04:17:13 PM »

This afternoon's update on Peace, from the Audubon Center for Birds of Prey:

AEF-NEFL Here is our "Star", Peace, on the scale this morning at Audubon weighing in at 5.74 pounds. We believe Peace to be a small male with good weight for a 7 wk eaglet. Blood work has been done and sent, and the gender will be confirmed in approximately one week. We do already have some results and blood test proved no lead. Peace's ears indicated no blood present and checked out fine. The radiographs were perfect, and muscles were felt and appeared good. Peace could move both feet in a normal fashion as well as open talons. At this point there appears to be a possible injury to the right leg, and we are waiting on additional results from blood work conducted. Otherwise there appears to be no other problems. Audubon is working closely with AEF and quickly providing updates we will share as available.

Photo: Audubon Center for birds of prey.

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 11-Feb-17, 07:57:24 PM »

Sounds promising.  thanks2

Peregrines know no borders.....
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 11-Feb-17, 11:52:12 PM »

Looks like Peace will get back with his sibling Hope soon!  thumbsup

-John Burroughs
AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 13-Feb-17, 06:48:26 PM »

A fairly general update today from the Audubon Center for Birds of Prey:

Why is Peace at Audubon?

Many people have asked why Peace the eaglet from the American Foundation nest cam was removed from the nest. It was noticed that Peace had been struggling with balance issues and was having difficulty standing and moving around in the nest. Because this nest has a nest cam his/her progress has been closely monitored by American Eagle Foundation and the local Audubon eagle watchers. The decision to remove this eaglet from the nest was decided upon by Federal agencies (USFWS) after the bird's condition was reported to them. This was not an easy decision and was discussed heavily by all parties involved. Audubon Center for Birds of Prey was asked to assist with the eaglet's removal from the nest, medical treatment and care. Peace is now recovering at the Center receiving pain medication and any needed therapy to help her regain her balance. We do not at this time know when she/he will be reunited with its family.

The Center aids in the recovery and rehabilitation of many eagles every year with 101 admitted in 2015 and 71 admitted last year. 20-30% of the eagles admitted each year are babies that need care.

What a sweet face Peace has! He does not seem unduly stressed in a strange environment.

Photo: Audubon Center for Birds of Prey.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: