THE FORUM

29-Mar-24, 06:53:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 ... 84   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cadence, 91/BA  (Read 441546 times)
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #840 on: 28-Jun-17, 07:53:10 AM »

Cadence in her igloo this morning.  I swear she gets more beautiful every time I see her wub2
« Last Edit: 28-Jun-17, 08:02:01 AM by carly » Logged
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #841 on: 01-Jul-17, 06:27:38 PM »

Toxicology report has been posted...

Betty Ann Kelly Stockton University
Here is the toxicology report information for the eyas. Please note that most tox guidelines for what is toxic vs. not are devised for adult birds, not small chicks. The report done by the vet states that the lead level was high, and the exposure to DDE and PCBs was significant for a small chick. Lead is known for neurological effects, which is what Wildlife Biologist, Kathy Clark noted and surmised might be happening when our chick could not hold it's head up.

carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #842 on: 01-Jul-17, 07:58:26 PM »

DDE is a lesser form of DDT and is found in pesticides - it was going to be banned but the current President struck down the ban so now all the animals will die. It can also cause brain damage in humans and a host of other illnesses.  This government also struck down the ban on lead bullets that was going to come into affect. These actions are going to put peregrines and other species back on the endangered list.

« Last Edit: 01-Jul-17, 08:20:32 PM by carly » Logged
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #843 on: 01-Jul-17, 10:36:52 PM »

This is just so sad and heart breaking. This should not even be an issue anymore. Come on, we need to fight to stop this *CRAP, yes, I said it!   crying

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #844 on: 02-Jul-17, 09:54:25 AM »

What sad news...poor baby...  crying

Knowing the area where the nest is, as unconscionable as the rule reversals are, it may not be at the root of this particular case. Elizabeth NJ is known for it's oil refineries, oil storage, port facilities, and it borders on Newark Airport. No telling what pollutants are there and have been for as long as anyone remembers.

I remember driving through there as a child. You had to close the windows in the car because of the stink. I don't go by there very often now and I think it's a bit better than my childhood memories, but it's still there.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Dot_Forrester
Tiercel

Like Count: 50

View Profile
« Reply #845 on: 02-Jul-17, 10:13:45 AM »

Shocked Our current administration seems to be intent on rolling back recent environmental advances including banning of pesticides and lead, which can only help destroy all the wildlife already in trouble that has to live in that environment. In all fairness, though, the Elizabeth / Newark area and all those nearby wetlands from there up to NYC have been super toxic for untold years. I'm amazed any creatures at all can survive in or near that mess. Poor Cadence and future offspring.

Dot in PA (a former NJ resident who lived and taught in the Newark area for many years)

This is just so sad and heart breaking. This should not even be an issue anymore. Come on, we need to fight to stop this *CRAP, yes, I said it!   crying
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #846 on: 02-Jul-17, 10:27:08 AM »

Repeal and replace!

I wish we could move them!!  Sad

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #847 on: 02-Jul-17, 10:44:16 AM »

Really!? Does politics have to show up on this forum too!  UGH!!!  Roll Eyes

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #848 on: 02-Jul-17, 11:04:47 AM »

It would be great it someone were to pursue this case further, tracking the success or failure of past nesting at that site, past infant and adult deaths, and by studying the prey as well. I'm getting visions of the canary in the coal mine, and I wish Cadence would move to another site. 

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #849 on: 02-Jul-17, 11:17:50 AM »

Really!? Does politics have to show up on this forum too!  UGH!!!  Roll Eyes

What do you mean??

Dot_Forrester
Tiercel

View Profile
« Reply #850 on: 02-Jul-17, 11:24:22 AM »

I sincerely apologize for my political remarks concerning environmental issues. They didn't belong on this forum. I guess I got carried away when the chick's toxicology report was posted.

Dot in PA
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #851 on: 02-Jul-17, 11:24:41 AM »

Really!? Does politics have to show up on this forum too!  UGH!!!  Roll Eyes

What do you mean??

I mean I'd like to go to just one website without seeing politics brought into the mix. Sheesh-so sick of it!  tease

-John Burroughs
ginkgi
Pipping

Like Count: 5

View Profile
« Reply #852 on: 02-Jul-17, 11:42:57 AM »

Unfortunately, 'politics' must indeed play a role here, if we are to protest against the lifting of the ban on DDE's and PCB's. I rarely rise to the occasion of contacting my congressmen and exploring the particular government agency responsible for reinstating the ban, but Cadence and the New Jersey peregrines are worth my attempts. I realize that the oil refineries also play a huge role but we can't 'move that mountain'!
Thank you for being proactive in this situation....our growing children are also affected!
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #853 on: 02-Jul-17, 11:48:01 AM »

I sincerely apologize for my political remarks concerning environmental issues. They didn't belong on this forum. I guess I got carried away when the chick's toxicology report was posted.

Dot in PA

Dot, I just have had enough of seeing politics brought up everywhere I look. I have no problem discussing the environment and its effects on wildlife on this forum, just not politics. That's all I'm saying-sorry if I upset you.  wave

-John Burroughs
Dot_Forrester
Tiercel

View Profile
« Reply #854 on: 02-Jul-17, 12:16:20 PM »

MAK, I understand completely. I'm still sorry for my post.

Dot in PA

Dot, I just have had enough of seeing politics brought up everywhere I look. I have no problem discussing the environment and its effects on wildlife on this forum, just not politics. That's all I'm saying-sorry if I upset you.  wave
[/quote]

Dot in PA

Dot, I just have had enough of seeing politics brought up everywhere I look. I have no problem discussing the environment and its effects on wildlife on this forum, just not politics. That's all I'm saying-sorry if I upset you.  wave
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 ... 84   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: