THE FORUM

29-Mar-24, 05:54:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 ... 84   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cadence, 91/BA  (Read 441536 times)
Bonnie
Tiercel

Like Count: 45

View Profile WWW
« Reply #855 on: 02-Jul-17, 09:17:21 PM »

Kathy Clark has been keeping track of toxins in NJ birds. Here is her peregrine falcon 2016 report.

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEVidvmVlZ5Z8A8fg3nIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTByMG04Z2o2BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkAw--/RV=2/RE=1499073007/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2fwww.state.nj.us%2fdep%2ffgw%2fensp%2fpdf%2fpefa16_report.pdf/RK=1/RS=JbzBz1LzVp6EDEG_.DUhlMRR79Y-

“No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wingsâ€
William Blake
Bonnie
Tiercel

Like Count: 45

View Profile WWW
« Reply #856 on: 02-Jul-17, 09:21:39 PM »

Both Elizabeth NJ and Jersey City are close to the Morris Canal and Bayonne. 55 Water St is close too. If the birds choose the area we do have a way to monitor the quality of the environment. Many humans live there and i think there is a high incidence of cancer.   Fingers crossed we can improve our lives. 

“No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wingsâ€
William Blake
Dot_Forrester
Tiercel

Like Count: 50

View Profile
« Reply #857 on: 02-Jul-17, 09:24:43 PM »

Bonnie, I would dearly love to read this report but it will not load in for me. I'll try again in the morning, but perhaps there is a link to the same report that isn't so long???

Dot in PA

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #858 on: 02-Jul-17, 09:27:41 PM »

Thanks Bonnie! Lots of information in this link.  wave

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #859 on: 02-Jul-17, 09:47:38 PM »

Bonnie, I would dearly love to read this report but it will not load in for me. I'll try again in the morning, but perhaps there is a link to the same report that isn't so long???

Dot in PA

Kathy Clark has been keeping track of toxins in NJ birds. Here is her peregrine falcon 2016 report.

It downloaded as a pdf file on my computer rather than opening as a web page.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Dot_Forrester
Tiercel

Like Count: 50

View Profile
« Reply #860 on: 03-Jul-17, 07:52:23 AM »

Thanks for the tip! It worked beautifully.

Dot in PA

Dot in PA

It downloaded as a pdf file on my computer rather than opening as a web page.
ginkgi
Pipping

Like Count: 5

View Profile
« Reply #861 on: 03-Jul-17, 07:53:37 AM »

This wonderful group is full of very caring bird (and animal) lovers!

Here is an excerpt from a National Wildlife Federation article:

Ironically, deadly but short-lived poisons such as carbofuran have come into use largely to replace less acutely toxic but lingering pesticides such as DDT. The devastating effect those earlier pesticides had on birds--especially predatory species such as the bald eagle--inspired Rachel Carson's 1962 manifesto Silent Spring, which in turn helped spur creation of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in 1970 and passage of the Endangered Species Act three years later.

Yet today, three decades after the act was passed, pesticides remain a threat to the recovery of the nation's endangered plants and animals. The crueler irony, perhaps, is that EPA, the agency charged with assessing pesticide hazards, has no estimate of how many of more than 700 pesticides it has registered pose a hazard to more than 1,260 species listed as threatened or endangered. By its own admission, the agency has not even tackled a backlog of pesticides that initial studies red-flagged as potentially harmful; these chemicals remain in use pending further evaluation. The number of pesticide victims is equally unknown. "We don't come close to having a handle on all the mortality," says Stroud. "While a dead eagle dropping in a barnyard is hard to miss, most pesticide victims simply disappear."

I'm also familiar with the struggle to keep NYC's red tail hawks away from poisoned rats, etc.

The Environmental Protection Agency is the government contact, should anyone want to write to them....a tough assignment during the lovely summer idyll....
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #862 on: 03-Jul-17, 08:46:18 AM »

Such a shame when there are so many organic, non-harmful pesticides out there and no one want to use them. I use everything I can find or make to keep out creepy crawlers or critters! Mostly oils, peppermint, Lemongrass, Eucalyptus and such! They work and they don't.....it depends!! I'm sure there is something better they can use for pesticides!! Lead bullets really burn my britches!! Oh don't get me going on that subject!

Thanks for the article!

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #863 on: 03-Jul-17, 09:27:55 PM »

So sad that this happened.  Sad

Peregrines know no borders.....
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #864 on: 03-Jul-17, 10:08:35 PM »

In doing some research since i read this, NJ has a problem with lead and not just in the water.  This is an excerpt from a 2016 article:

The communities with the high lead levels include Irvington, East Orange, Trenton, Newark, Paterson, Plainfield, Jersey City, Elizabeth, Atlantic City, New Brunswick and Passaic, along with Salem and Cumberland counties.

"You can breathe it in from dust and you can swallow it," Pivnick said.

New Jersey Department of Health statistics from 2014, the last year for which data is available, show that those 11 cities and two counties had a higher percentage of children with elevated lead levels than Flint did in 2015, as shown by Michigan state statistics.

Long story short - if the lead is in her food source, her chances of having offspring that live very long will be diminished and her own health may be compromised.   I did notice when her second baby was ill that she was also gagging along with him several times while I was watching. even though she's an adult, that doesn't mean it can't hurt her. It can damage her reproductive system and could eventually destroy her liver leading to her death over time.
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #865 on: 03-Jul-17, 11:03:45 PM »

In doing some research since i read this, NJ has a problem with lead and not just in the water.  This is an excerpt from a 2016 article:

The communities with the high lead levels include Irvington, East Orange, Trenton, Newark, Paterson, Plainfield, Jersey City, Elizabeth, Atlantic City, New Brunswick and Passaic, along with Salem and Cumberland counties.

"You can breathe it in from dust and you can swallow it," Pivnick said.
K
New Jersey Department of Health statistics from 2014, the last year for which data is available, show that those 11 cities and two counties had a higher percentage of children with elevated lead levels than Flint did in 2015, as shown by Michigan state statistics.

Long story short - if the lead is in her food source, her chances of having offspring that live very long will be diminished and her own health may be compromised.   I did notice when her second baby was ill that she was also gagging along with him several times while I was watching. even though she's an adult, that doesn't mean it can't hurt her. It can damage her reproductive system and could eventually destroy her liver leading to her death over time.

I'm just so sad Cadence ended up in this area.. that her health, her mate's and the health of any future babies might be in jeopardy. With the EPA being gutted and all the environmental/wildlife protections, that were in place, being erased, you wonder where the Peregrine/Raptor population will be in years to come. Sad!

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #866 on: 04-Jul-17, 03:44:48 PM »

This situation is so sickening to me. We work so hard to protect our little ones. To give them the best beginning we can possibly give them. They wander, find a mate, have young, then this. So much is out of our control. It makes me so sad and so frustrated that we are powerless to help. Move on Cadence. Please.  Sad

Peregrines know no borders.....
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #867 on: 12-Aug-17, 06:00:16 PM »

Just caught Cadence and dad in the nest box.  Her position was weird I actually refreshed 3 times as I thought the cam was stuck...but she stayed in this position for several minutes while he moved around.  Then he moved out of her way and she ran out like a house on fire.  Dad still in there cleaning house.
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #868 on: 12-Aug-17, 08:15:54 PM »

Just caught Cadence and dad in the nest box.  Her position was weird I actually refreshed 3 times as I thought the cam was stuck...but she stayed in this position for several minutes while he moved around.  Then he moved out of her way and she ran out like a house on fire.  Dad still in there cleaning house.

Strange..very submissive look.  Glad you caught them, though!

patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #869 on: 12-Aug-17, 08:42:40 PM »

Very strange indeed!

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 ... 84   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: