THE FORUM

29-Mar-24, 01:06:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pittsburgh Gulf Tower Cam-Louie and Dori 2018  (Read 15201 times)
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« on: 28-Apr-18, 04:41:14 PM »

Louie (Beauty's brother) and Dori decided to nest on a downtown building again this year and not on Gulf Tower. They have 4 two week old eyases.  I read this today on FB tickedoff
NEWS ALERT:
It's come to our attention that the nesting season for the Downtown Peregrine pair may be over sooner than we all think!
A development project of BET Investments next to the building where the 3rd Avenue nest is located has decided to obtain a United States Fish and Wildlife Service permit to remove the 4 chicks, who are only 2 weeks old. The permit is within the parameters of the newly relaxed Federal rules related to migratory birds.
The chicks are to be taken from their parents and raised at a rehabilitation facility somewhere.
Louie, Dori, and the chicks just need about another month for them to fledge and leave the nest forever.
We urge you to contact BET investments to express your displeasure and to urge them to delay the removal of our peregrines.
BET Investments
200 Dryden Road, Suite 2000
Dresher, PA 19025
Phone:215-938-7300
Fax:215-938-8651
email: info@betinvestments.com
Another way you can express your opinion is by picketing the construction site across the street from 319 3rd avenue. Do not block the street or sidewalks.

carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 28-Apr-18, 04:50:35 PM »

Email sent.  Dori is O'Connors sister, I have followed her and Louie for a long time.  They deserve better.
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28-Apr-18, 05:58:49 PM »

Email sent.  Dori is O'Connors sister, I have followed her and Louie for a long time.  They deserve better.

Thanks for the info..I guess I didn’t realize that Dori & O’Connor were sisters.  I’m emailing too as they deserve the chance to raise & fledge their young.  Sad

carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28-Apr-18, 06:12:17 PM »

Thanks for the info..I guess I didn’t realize that Dori & O’Connor were sisters.  I’m emailing too as they deserve the chance to raise & fledge their young.  Sad

Yes they are.  She was originally named 'Mary Cleo' when she was banded but they renamed her when she arrived in Pittsburgh.
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28-Apr-18, 06:15:59 PM »

Yes they are.  She was originally named 'Mary Cleo' when she was banded but they renamed her when she arrived in Pittsburgh.

Where were they hatched from?

carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28-Apr-18, 06:21:33 PM »

Akron, Ohio.  Parents were Bandit and Chesapeake.  Chesapeake (died in 2014 at age 16) was one of the longest lived falcons in Ohio - she and Bandit (he died in 2012) and then Mckinley produced a total of 53 offspring.
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28-Apr-18, 06:35:15 PM »

Akron, Ohio.  Parents were Bandit and Chesapeake.  Chesapeake (died in 2014 at age 16) was one of the longest lived falcons in Ohio - she and Bandit (he died in 2012) and then Mckinley produced a total of 53 offspring.

Ok, I think I remember that now.  I wonder why they changed her name?

carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28-Apr-18, 08:09:41 PM »

Ok, I think I remember that now.  I wonder why they changed her name?

I will quote Kate's blog as she explained it at the time.

Since Monday the fervent peregrine watchers at Make-A-Wish, whose offices are near the nest, suspected Tasha was gone forever.  They’ve been Tasha’s fans for many years and were sad about this turn of events, so they wanted to honor the new female with a happy, hopeful name.  Even before they knew her identity they called her Dori, which means “wish” in Romanian.

And here is post from back then :  https://www.birdsoutsidemywindow.org/2010/03/25/new-female-peregrine-at-gulf-tower/
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29-Apr-18, 07:40:51 AM »

Email sent, I hope they get bombarded and feel the guilt/shame! I can't see how anyone could not LOVE the falcons nesting on their buildings! Then again, some are just about the $$$$$!!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30-Apr-18, 06:30:24 AM »

They are getting lots of press involved, here's just one!

Developer seeks to relocate young falcons from downtown nest

Officials say a developer is seeking permission from the federal government to remove four young peregrine falcons from their nest on a downtown Pittsburgh building.

Kate St. John, who monitors the nesting of peregrines in the area, says on her "Outside My Window" blog that the two-week-old birds are nesting near another building being redeveloped for student apartments.

St. John says there have been reports of the parent birds buzzing the workers.

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports that the Pennsylvania Game Commission says in a letter sent Friday to local peregrine monitors that such nests are protected, but exemption requests can be granted.
The letter says the removal request is "within the parameters" of existing laws and regulations, but adds that "the chicks' health and well-being is our primary interest."

Information from: Tribune-Review, http://triblive.com

I hope this stalls them until they fledge! Of course the parents are going to buzz anyone going near!  stupid

This didn't work for MK and their nest but maybe we can help save these 4 babies!

Here's some way to help voice your anger:
BET Investments
200 Dryden Road, Suite 2000
Dresher, PA 19025

Phone: 215-938-7300
Fax: 215-938-8651
Email: info@betinvestments.com

Facebook: www.facebook.com/betinvestments/
Twitter: twitter.com/betinvestments1

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30-Apr-18, 07:35:25 AM »

Thanks for the info. This is so stupid. They just need to wait!  thumbsdown

Peregrines know no borders.....
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30-Apr-18, 06:11:19 PM »

Guess the public outcry didn’t work.  Sad

http://triblive.com/local/allegheny/13597987-74/peregrine-falcons-to-be-removed-from-downtown-pittsburgh-building

Dot_Forrester
Tiercel

Like Count: 50

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30-Apr-18, 06:28:44 PM »

Cry awful news! I can't understand why the developers were given permission to take the young peregrines. The alleged "conservation" agencies in charge of such matters are completely useless. I hope the babies will  be released successfully, but I feel really bad for the parents. Sinful!!!!!

Dot in PA

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30-Apr-18, 06:29:19 PM »

Whatever!!   Sad crying

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30-Apr-18, 06:56:17 PM »

Cry awful news! I can't understand why the developers were given permission to take the young peregrines. The alleged "conservation" agencies in charge of such matters are completely useless. I hope the babies will  be released successfully, but I feel really bad for the parents. Sinful!!!!!

Dot in PA

My opinion...Money talks.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: