THE FORUM

23-Apr-24, 07:27:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Broad Street overhaul to spread to Exchange  (Read 3729 times)
Lou
Juvie

Like Count: 130

View Profile WWW
« on: 04-Apr-10, 11:13:25 AM »

Article in today's D&C:

http://tinyurl.com/ygpgeeh

Lou
Dot_Forrester
Tiercel

Like Count: 50

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 04-Apr-10, 11:50:10 AM »

Is this area close to the nest boxes?  Will it affect Archer and Beauty or the watchers trying to park nearby?  My Rochester geography is very limited.  stupid

Dot in PA
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04-Apr-10, 12:06:43 PM »

Is this area close to the nest boxes?  Will it affect Archer and Beauty or the watchers trying to park nearby?  My Rochester geography is very limited.  stupid

Dot in PA

Dot-the 2nd picture in the article shows the nest box building on the far left...as to where exactly the digging is, I'm not clear-I think it's the other side of the river.  Parking for the watchers is going to be a challenge from what I gather. 

edit 12:16 Just looked at the map...I think I'm mistaken...the digging is behind the Times Square building a few blocks when looking at the nest box (east) side.
« Last Edit: 04-Apr-10, 12:16:42 PM by Dumpsterkitty » Logged

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
birdlover
Eyas

Like Count: 18

"Mariah Is Home" 5-29-09

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04-Apr-10, 02:58:37 PM »

Parking for everyone will be a challenge.  There is still the lot directly under the nest box, and a few more surrounding it, but downtown overall has a major parking problem.
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04-Apr-10, 03:06:50 PM »

I was puzzling over the article, not knowing much Rochester history.  So I did some digging and I found this old map of Rochester on an Erie Canal history site.  Looking at the path of the canal right through the middle of downtown it now makes sense-Broad St. was constructed over the Erie Canal-the canal even crossed the Genesee right where the Broad St. bridge is currently.  I added the pink arrows along the path of the canal-the far left one is where I believe the demolition is starting.

The red star is where the Times Square building is now-corner of Exchange & Broad.  One other interesting note-a lot of the streets have new names...the lower end of State St. was Carrol St. at the time.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

Like Count: 283

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05-Apr-10, 12:44:08 PM »

Did you see there was a Sulphur Bath down the street from Times Square Building?  Also noticed the Burying Ground.  Wonder if it is still there?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: