THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 02:51:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cam 1 looking at the Erie Canal lock? since 6:16 *RESOLVED*  (Read 5829 times)
ezsha
Tiercel

Like Count: 25

View Profile
« on: 11-Apr-10, 06:22:40 PM »

« Last Edit: 12-Apr-10, 02:49:19 PM by Shaky » Logged
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 11-Apr-10, 06:33:02 PM »

Hey everyone.  I know this is a learning process for all of us, including me!  Wink  Try to remember that everything posted on Rfalconcam Now is posted as a Tweet to the Watchers.  This section should ONLY be used for posting Falcon sightings.  Include the time and and what falcon is on camera (if you can ID it).  During the Fledge Watch the Watchers will appreciate knowing what falcon in in the nestbox.  Thanks!

Peregrines know no borders.....
ezsha
Tiercel

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11-Apr-10, 06:49:48 PM »

Hey everyone.  I know this is a learning process for all of us, including me!  Wink  Try to remember that everything posted on Rfalconcam Now is posted as a Tweet to the Watchers.  This section should ONLY be used for posting Falcon sightings.  Include the time and and what falcon is on camera (if you can ID it).  During the Fledge Watch the Watchers will appreciate knowing what falcon in in the nestbox.  Thanks!

Sorry about that - I thought I was on another tab for Cam issues.... If a moderator could move this topic, I'd appreciate it!

My apologies!
ezsha Embarrassed
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 11-Apr-10, 09:00:08 PM »

Thanks for catching the change. It's back to normal now.
valhalla
« Reply #4 on: 12-Apr-10, 05:32:58 AM »

The Erie Canal is in Rochester???  That's Lake Ontario - is this an offshoot (of course, Greenwood Lake at the turn of the 20th Century was part of the Morris Canal - never connected).
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12-Apr-10, 09:06:17 AM »

Ghostly good ole partners and good ole pals still trudge up and down the canal as the sun goes down............. Shocked

Peregrines know no borders.....
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12-Apr-10, 09:23:46 AM »

I posted this last week...

I was puzzling over the article, not knowing much Rochester history.  So I did some digging and I found this old map of Rochester on an Erie Canal history site.  Looking at the path of the canal right through the middle of downtown it now makes sense-Broad St. was constructed over the Erie Canal-the canal even crossed the Genesee right where the Broad St. bridge is currently.  I added the pink arrows along the path of the canal-the far left one is where I believe the demolition is starting.

The red star is where the Times Square building is now-corner of Exchange & Broad.  One other interesting note-a lot of the streets have new names...the lower end of State St. was Carrol St. at the time.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
valhalla
« Reply #7 on: 12-Apr-10, 10:19:49 AM »

This make perfect sense!  Ei, you'll see this on the other side of the River at Catskill and NJ has pieces of Morris and Deleware Canals all over the place and many are also paved over.
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12-Apr-10, 10:53:04 AM »

This make perfect sense!  Ei, you'll see this on the other side of the River at Catskill and NJ has pieces of Morris and Deleware Canals all over the place and many are also paved over.

The canal in my neck of the woods is the D&H...Delaware & Hudson...from Port Jervis to Kingston...then the boats would head up to the Erie Canal

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Lord G
Juvie

Like Count: 48

Peregrine Paparazzo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 12-Apr-10, 01:26:19 PM »

I posted this last week...

I was puzzling over the article, not knowing much Rochester history.  So I did some digging and I found this old map of Rochester on an Erie Canal history site.  Looking at the path of the canal right through the middle of downtown it now makes sense-Broad St. was constructed over the Erie Canal-the canal even crossed the Genesee right where the Broad St. bridge is currently.  I added the pink arrows along the path of the canal-the far left one is where I believe the demolition is starting.

The red star is where the Times Square building is now-corner of Exchange & Broad.  One other interesting note-a lot of the streets have new names...the lower end of State St. was Carrol St. at the time.

In fact, the aqueduct that carried the Erie Canal was filled in to create Broad Street (IIRC).

"Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise"
ezsha
Tiercel

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12-Apr-10, 02:35:49 PM »

The Erie Canal is in Rochester???  That's Lake Ontario - is this an offshoot (of course, Greenwood Lake at the turn of the 20th Century was part of the Morris Canal - never connected).

The Erie Canal used to go right through... the image that started this thread is one of the old locks, I believe...here's a map of the original system, which Rochester also has remnants of...

Here's a map of the current canal system...

For those visitors from around the country and the world, here's a bit about where the Erie Canal
passed over the Genesee River, via aqueduct... as previously stated, Broad Street was added on top...

The Erie Canal now passes through the south part of the city, near the University of Rochester.

Hope this helps...
ezsha
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: