THE FORUM

19-Apr-24, 11:54:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: third egg viability?  (Read 9703 times)
brobeta
Pipping

Like Count: 7

Backyard bird watching at its best!

View Profile
« on: 20-May-10, 09:24:19 AM »

Since many watchers have reported seeing a pip in the egg yesterday (it shows clearly in a shot of the second hatching) I am beginning to wonder if this egg is viable.  Shouldn't it have hatched by now? I am probably not alone in this concern.

I did a little research this morning and the following image is enlarged from the main camera and taken this morning.  Look at the very bottom of the egg just above the edge of the nest box.  See the indentation - it appears as if a pebble is sticking into the margin of the egg.  At what point do we concede failure on this egg and if it hatches too much later, what are the eyas chances competing with the others who will have a substantial head start?
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 20-May-10, 09:33:18 AM »

I have seen eggs hatch several days after the others and I have seen pip to hatch of 36+ hours.  Not often, but it does happen.  Beauty will be the best judge...she will stop incubating it and push it to the side.  A very late hatch generally does just fine...it takes a while, but eventually catches up.  In their 5-egg years M&K would often have one last hatch long after the first and the last always did fine.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
KapiVT
Eyas

Like Count: 9

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20-May-10, 09:42:38 AM »

I think that the odd thing this year was having two eggs hatch on the same day.  I don't remember that happening before, though it may have.  What I can remember are lots of (what seemed like) endless waits between hatches in the past.  The biggest problem with late hatches seemed to be assigning a sex at the time of banding as that is done on size.  In times of stress, the smaller/younger chick might be sacrificed (Remember the year that Mariah was injured and Kaver had responsibility for everyone?) but that would not seem to be a threat at this point.
Kapi in VT
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20-May-10, 09:49:07 AM »

Kapi's right...2 hatching the same day is more uncommon than several days between. 

I just went over all the pics of the exposed egg from today and I don't personally see a pip yet...only time will tell.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Lucy
Big Clutch

Like Count: 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20-May-10, 10:42:17 AM »

I'm wondering whether all Beauty's pebble pecking might be attempts to deepen the scrape so that it is easier to brood both eyases and the remaining egg?  It looks to me as though she moves pebbles toward where the rim of the scrape would be.
Lucy
Big Clutch

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20-May-10, 11:14:37 AM »

We got a good view of the third egg with a big pip and what looked like a beak poking out at 10:59 AM today; check the archive for Camera 2 at that time.  Certainly Beauty is acting as though she thinks that egg is viable!  She was struggling mightily to keep the egg and both wiggly eyases covered.
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20-May-10, 11:45:36 AM »

I'm wondering whether all Beauty's pebble pecking might be attempts to deepen the scrape so that it is easier to brood both eyases and the remaining egg?  It looks to me as though she moves pebbles toward where the rim of the scrape would be.

yes I agree. I thought she was building up the scrape to keep them in better.     Wink

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Lucy
Big Clutch

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20-May-10, 11:55:58 AM »

Just now, a really good look at the egg;  the pip certinly seems larger! 
Colleen T
Fledgling

Like Count: 12

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20-May-10, 12:06:23 PM »

Unfortunately, I think that's just a feather.

margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20-May-10, 12:55:05 PM »

Unfortunately, I think that's just a feather.

I think it's just a feather too.  Maybe there is a pip underneath the feather.
Judi
Juvie

Like Count: 43

African Fish Eagle

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20-May-10, 10:22:20 PM »

One thing one must remember is that this is Archer and Beauty's first year with eggs.  In 2002, when it was Kaver's first year with Mariah, 4 eggs were laid and only 2 hatched (one of them was Freedom, Archer's dad!).  Non-viable eggs during the first nesting (or even the 5th year) of a pair is not an uncommon occurrance.

wave

Life's a dance, you learn as you go...sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow...
~Sage~
Juvie

Like Count: 38

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 20-May-10, 11:36:00 PM »

Re: multi-hatches - Buffalo's UB nest hatched all three eggs on 5/4 this year, 40 days after incubation began. 

valhalla
« Reply #12 on: 21-May-10, 05:36:22 AM »

Just watched breakfast (there is a foot left over), 2 babies now under beauty, but I can't find/see the egg.  Did I miss something overnight  ??? 
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21-May-10, 06:57:43 AM »

I don't see it either.  I guess it wasn't good after all.  That's OK...2 babies for this new couple is enough!

valhalla
« Reply #14 on: 21-May-10, 07:08:25 AM »

Agreed, Ei!  I think Archer would have a cow if a third fluffball showed up.  Give these 2 time to learn the parenting thing. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: