THE FORUM

20-Sep-24, 09:28:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sibling Rivalry?  (Read 3171 times)
DoggyMom
Fluffball

Like Count: 5

View Profile
« on: 13-Jun-10, 01:12:31 PM »

Watching the Ustream live video it seems at times that Callidora is attacking Jemison. Is this what is happening? If so, could Callidora do any serious harm to Jemison?
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 315

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 13-Jun-10, 01:45:44 PM »

It's funny-I was thinking exactly the opposite-how there hasn't been much fighting at all.  Even the meals seem relatively civilized compared to other nests I've watched.  But they are built to take some abuse from siblings, so I wouldn't worry.  At this stage you will see them preening each other,  picking bits of leftovers off each other, and whacking each other with their wings.  Usually no harm in any of it.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
DoggyMom
Fluffball

Like Count: 5

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13-Jun-10, 05:01:47 PM »

It looked to me like she was pecking at her sister. I never thought it could be preening but that certainly seems likely. Thanks for explaining that.
huddiecat
Juvie

Like Count: 44

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16-Jun-10, 05:08:56 PM »

It could be allopreening or it could just be Callidora letting Jemison know who is first in line...the old pecking order theory.  It is found in many avian species.  It didn't look too aggressive though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: