THE FORUM

16-Oct-24, 04:53:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A tribute to animal kingdom fathers for Father's Day  (Read 10296 times)
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« on: 16-Jun-10, 08:02:16 PM »

Good dads make the going easier, as we recognize Father's Day, Sunday, June 20. That's true in the animal kingdom also where some dads' flare for parenting can make the difference between life and death.

Role model: Red fox

Reason: The male of the species makes an attentive father, especially in the first month after birth. While females nurse the cubs, the fathers carry hunting duties and bring food to the den every four to six hours. But fathers do more than deliver the bacon, they plays with their pups, too. As they get older and stronger he teaches them to hunt and hide from predators. Meal service ends when the pups reach three months in age.

Some refuges where you may spot him: Seatuck Refuge, NY; Innoko Refuge AK; Missisquoi Refuge, VT; Stewart B. McKinney Refuge, CT.

Role model: Great horned owl

Reason: While his mate warms their clutch of eggs, the male owl catches small rodents to feed both him and her. Once the eggs hatch, he hunts for and feeds the whole family.

Some refuges where you can look for him: Target Rock Refuge, NY; Pea Island Refuge, NC; Bosque del Apache Refuge, NM; Wertheim Refuge, NY; Aransas Refuge, TX; Tallahatchie Refuge, MS.

Role model: Ruddy duck

Reason: Unlike many of his duck buddies who spend their time courting and playing the field, the male ruddy duck shares responsibility for his young.

Some refuges where you may spot him: Malheur Refuge, OR; San Pablo Bay Refuge, CA; Pea Island Refuge, NC; Montezuma Refuge, NY; Muleshoe Refuge, TX.

Role model: Greater flamingo

Reason: Flamingos tend to mate for life and the male helps feather his mate's nest. He then takes turns with her sitting on it. When their single egg hatches he shares childrearing duties.

Some refuges where you may spot him: Aransas Refuge, TX Archie Carr Refuge, FL; Arthur M. Loxahatchee Refuge, FL; Cedar Keys Refuge, FL; Caloosahatchee Refuge, FL.

Role model: Barking tree frog

Reason: The male makes a distinctive contribution to parenting. He sticks close by until the eggs are hatched preventing them from drying out by dousing them with urine.

Some refuges where you may spot him: Carolina Sandhills Refuge, SC; Pocosin Lakes Refuge, NC; Santee Refuge, SC.

gayle
Juvie

Like Count: 82

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 16-Jun-10, 10:05:48 PM »

I am sure there are many other examples of good dads  I have seen two in the bird world.

The thick-billed murre nests on rocky cliffs in Hudson Bay and other places. The female incubates the single egg.  The male brings food and when the chick is a few weeks old, the male, in the water below the cliff, calls to the chick and induces it to leap from the cliff.  The male attends to the chick and teaches it the ways of the murre.  The female, whose job is done, flies off in a great flock with other females!

The female jacana, found in Central America and throughout the Southern Hemisphere, is more extreme.  She lays the eggs and splits!  Dad does all the rest!

Gayle
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16-Jun-10, 10:09:22 PM »

I am sure there are many other examples of good dads  I have seen two in the bird world.

The thick-billed murre nests on rocky cliffs in Hudson Bay and other places. The female incubates the single egg.  The male brings food and when the chick is a few weeks old, the male, in the water below the cliff, calls to the chick and induces it to leap from the cliff.  The male attends to the chick and teaches it the ways of the murre.  The female, whose job is done, flies off in a great flock with other females!

The female jacana, found in Central America and throughout the Southern Hemisphere, is more extreme.  She lays the eggs and splits!  Dad does all the rest!

Gayle

Shocked  amazing!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16-Jun-10, 10:41:47 PM »

wow

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
gayle
Juvie

Like Count: 82

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16-Jun-10, 11:09:35 PM »

I do have photographs of the two species, but the forum is being obstinate tonight.  I will try again tomorrow!

Gayle
dale
Falcon

Like Count: 276

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 17-Jun-10, 01:40:49 AM »

Great horned owl - While his mate warms their clutch of eggs, the male owl catches small rodents to feed both him and her. Once the eggs hatch, he hunts for and feeds the whole family.

the screech owls we saw in Chris' box seemed to do much the same.
I wonder which of the owls do it like that.
What's particularly interesting to me is how Archer really did NOT know what the devil to do with those hatchlings...and then he sort of did.
Now, ducklings.
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17-Jun-10, 07:38:32 AM »

Role Model: Kaver, Tiercel, male Peregrine Falcon

Reason:  While female (Mariah) incubates the eggs, Kaver hunts to feed both he and Mariah.  When Mariah is not incubating, Kaver takes over.  Sometimes he doesn't want to stop.  Mariah stares at him and eventually he gets the idea...........

OK.  Who's next to continue the "Reason".   happy

Peregrines know no borders.....
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17-Jun-10, 07:40:47 AM »

Reason:  While female (Mariah) incubates the eggs, Kaver hunts to feed both he and Mariah.  When Mariah is not incubating, Kaver takes over.  Sometimes he doesn't want to stop.  Mariah stares at him and eventually he gets the idea...........

OK.  Who's next to continue the "Reason".   happy

He does a good job taking over when Mariah gets injured. clap

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17-Jun-10, 08:04:37 AM »

Reason:  While female (Mariah) incubates the eggs, Kaver hunts to feed both he and Mariah.  When Mariah is not incubating, Kaver takes over.  Sometimes he doesn't want to stop.  Mariah stares at him and eventually he gets the idea...........

OK.  Who's next to continue the "Reason".   happy

Kaver: The best Falcon dad...a great protector...always on guard..fed kids more than needed...QTP2T...prey wrangler...carried more than his weight..and I miss him so much!  heart Happy Father's Day Kaver..(where ever you are)  crying

« Last Edit: 17-Jun-10, 08:39:49 AM by Donna » Logged

Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 17-Jun-10, 08:17:46 AM »

That first pic is of Tybropa Cree.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17-Jun-10, 08:40:50 AM »

OOPSIE....Now how could I mix those 2 up?  stupid

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 315

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17-Jun-10, 08:53:07 AM »

OOPSIE....Now how could I mix those 2 up?  stupid

'Cause he looked extraordinarily like Kaver...

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 315

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17-Jun-10, 09:01:38 AM »

And, for a first time Dad, Archer has proven to be a great provider even if babysitting still makes him a little nervous!

Kaver is what every peregrine Dad should aspire to be...and Archer is well on his way !

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17-Jun-10, 09:08:10 AM »

That's why I made Kaver the Peregrine dad role model.   happy

Peregrines know no borders.....
huddiecat
Juvie

Like Count: 44

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17-Jun-10, 10:01:44 AM »

Carol, it makes me sad when I think of Kaver.  Definitely, the top Peregrine dad role model!!

Okay, I know most people don't like the American Crow, but...

Role model: a 12-14 year old American Crow known as Droop-wing Noba

Reason: Last fall when the breeding female, mom, went down and one of the "kids" was "shot in the wing and unable to fly.  The dad, aka breeding male, took care of him.  The kid could not fly, so dad stayed near him and brought food for him.  This went on for almost a month until we were able to capture him.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: