THE FORUM

29-Mar-24, 10:54:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Falcon Watchers Weekend - July 17-18, 2010  (Read 47430 times)
Lisa McK
Eyas

Like Count: 61

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 14-Jul-10, 10:19:45 AM »

Kathy O. sent an email last night about a show at the Strasenburgh Planetarium this weekend titled "The Falcons of Toronto."  It will be showing at 4:00 p.m. on Saturday July 17.  Here is the describition from the Planetarium's website.

THE FALCONS OF TORONTO
Thirty years ago, peregrine falcons faced extinction in North America when DDT entered the food chain and killed their young. Now these champions of the sky have re-established themselves and some have forsaken the countryside to live in the city. These intrepid newcomers nest on cliffs of concrete and hunt in canyons of steel and glass. But while the city is a good provider, there are also hidden dangers in the urban jungle. An NHK Production

I will be attending the Saturday show, if anyone else wants to go, just let me know.
Tickets are:  $10 for adults,  $9 for senior citizens, and $8 for children.

Lisa McK.
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 14-Jul-10, 11:01:10 AM »

So Far coming to Saturday morning breakfast:
Out of Towners: (10)
Colleen T
Ei
Lynne & Bob
Kapi
Kris G & Bill
Paul, Mary & Catherine

Roch Watchers: (22)
MAK
Ginha & Dave
Larry O
Don & Suzanne
Joyce
Marcia
Jeanne
Lou & Dana
Shaky & Carrie
Kathy O
Carol P.
Brian H.
Ruth
Dan S.
Carla P.
Lynda & Tim
Lisa McK

Any others? 

Peregrines know no borders.....
Colleen T
Fledgling

Like Count: 12

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 14-Jul-10, 11:23:11 AM »

As an "out of towner", it is difficult to bring food to share, but is there something else I can contribute - plates, napkins, cups, or the like?  I always feel bad partaking, but not contributing.  What can I bring?
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 14-Jul-10, 11:58:39 AM »

As an "out of towner", it is difficult to bring food to share, but is there something else I can contribute - plates, napkins, cups, or the like?  I always feel bad partaking, but not contributing.  What can I bring?

Just bring yourself Colleen!  We'll be very happy to see you again!   wave

Braveheart2665
Juvie

Like Count: 18

Freyja Always in my Heart

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 14-Jul-10, 03:31:26 PM »

Dumpsterkitty told me about the weekend last night. I would like to attend if i can- my son will be in town this weekend also & i wanted to show him the nestbox.

Follow me at Thebraveheartfiles.blogspot.com
Bonnie
Tiercel

Like Count: 45

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: 14-Jul-10, 08:24:27 PM »

I'm coming and will arrive on Friday afternoon or so.  I'll be there for Saturday breakfast and I can bring my famous falcon toast with cream cheese this time.  Would love to put on fresh pigeon meat, but...

I could use a place to park the motorhome.  I'll be by myself this year.  Some of you get nervous when I overnight on the streets by the gorge.

I'll be leaving Sunday depending on the falcon action.  And how tired I am from the festivities.

Count me in for the Sat pm Toronto falcon video. 

“No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wingsâ€
William Blake
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 14-Jul-10, 09:36:21 PM »

Kathy O. sent an email last night about a show at the Strasenburgh Planetarium this weekend titled "The Falcons of Toronto."  It will be showing at 4:00 p.m. on Saturday July 17.  Here is the describition from the Planetarium's website.

THE FALCONS OF TORONTO
Thirty years ago, peregrine falcons faced extinction in North America when DDT entered the food chain and killed their young. Now these champions of the sky have re-established themselves and some have forsaken the countryside to live in the city. These intrepid newcomers nest on cliffs of concrete and hunt in canyons of steel and glass. But while the city is a good provider, there are also hidden dangers in the urban jungle. An NHK Production

I will be attending the Saturday show, if anyone else wants to go, just let me know.
Tickets are:  $10 for adults,  $9 for senior citizens, and $8 for children.

Lisa McK.

MAK and Sue want to go

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
KapiVT
Eyas

Like Count: 9

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 14-Jul-10, 10:09:38 PM »

I'd be interested in going too.
Kapi in VT
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 14-Jul-10, 10:12:37 PM »

Out of Towners: (12)
Colleen T
Ei
Lynne & Bob
Kapi
Kris G & Bill
Paul, Mary & Catherine
Braveheart
Bonnie

Roch Watchers: (23)
MAK
Ginha & Dave
Larry O
Don & Suzanne
Joyce
Marcia
Jeanne
Lou & Dana
Shaky & Carrie
Kathy O
Carol P.
Brian H.
Ruth
Dan S.
Carla P.
Lynda & Tim
Lisa McK
Kelly

Any others?   

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 15-Jul-10, 10:29:05 AM »

OK-ready to hit the road-see you all later!

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 15-Jul-10, 10:54:55 AM »

Out of Towners: (13)
Colleen T
Ei
Lynne & Bob
Kapi
Kris G & Bill
Paul, Mary & Catherine
Braveheart
Bonnie
Wendy

Roch Watchers: (23)
MAK
Ginha & Dave
Larry O
Don & Suzanne
Joyce
Marcia
Jeanne
Lou & Dana
Shaky & Carrie
Kathy O
Carol P.
Brian H.
Ruth
Dan S.
Carla P.
Lynda & Tim
Lisa McK
Kelly

Any others?   

Lou
Juvie

Like Count: 130

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: 15-Jul-10, 12:38:08 PM »

A few of us here have been discussing how we might better organize things for this weekend and this is what we have so far:

We'll definitely have a Saturday Morning Get -Together at Aqueduct Park at 9:00 am.  Here's a link to Eileen's map  (zoom in and find the marker with the green arrow on the west side of the river). At the park, the local Rochester Falcon Watchers will do it up Tailgater Style (ie, dish-to-pass) where we'll each bring something to share. The list below has what we have so far (see list below**). If other locals want to bring something, please post it here.  At the park, we'll have a downtown street map available with a `Falcon Trail' marked on it showing various locations where the falcons may be. We're going to be at the falcon's mercy – they could be anywhere!  If you have a walkie-talkie – bring it and set it to channel 7.1 so we can share whereabouts and events.

For those that want to experience the Dinosaur Bar-B-Q, we'll plan on doing lunch there and our thinking is that take-out is the way to go. We think that a large group and other weekend activities in Rochester will make it difficult for reservations – even at lunch.  We can bring our lunches back to Aqueduct park or if there are picnic tables at the Dinosaur, we can eat right there outside.

As far as Saturday evening activities, there are several options for folks:

*  Lisa McK is collecting names of people who want to go see the Falcons of Toronto/Dolphins (double feature) video at 4:00 p.m. at the Strasenburgh Planetarium which is only several blocks from downtown. I plan on going to that too.  Hopefully, we'll have enough locals there to transport visitors if they need rides. That group can then decide if and where they want to go and grab something to eat before returning downtown for the evening watch. Here's a link to the Strasenburgh Planetrium  sitehttp://www.rmsc.org/StrasenburghPlanetarium/Schedule/

*  Another option is that there's a Baseball Game at Frontier Field with the Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra playing music to fireworks after the game. That's an easy option because the ballpark offers some good choices for food.  The game starts at 6:05. Prices are $6.50, $9.00 or $10.50.  Here's a link to the Rochester Red Wings  Site: http://rochester.redwings.milb.com/index.jsp?sid=t534

* Another option is for people to simply hook up with a local (loco?) and create their own plans for the evening!

We’ll also meet at Aqueduct Park on Sunday morning (9:00 am) but we won’t be doing a formal food thing. There might be some stuff, but best bet would be for folks to grab something to eat beforehand.

**Who's Bringing what to the Saturday Tailgater Breakfast (so far…) LOCALS – Add to this list please! Thx
•   Suzanne - Bagels , cream cheese
•   Lynda/Tim - A cool pastry/coffee cake thing (and tattoos!)
•   Joyce - Cut-up fruit, small bowls and spoons.
•   Lou - Coffee (2 boxes of Joe from Dunkin' Donuts) w/ cups, sugar, stir sticks, etc.     
•   Jeanne - Juice, cups, something sweet and probably something else
•   Carol P. - Plates, Forks, Knives, Napkins, etc.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 15-Jul-10, 01:03:12 PM »

I will be bringing pumpkinroll.   Can't wait to meet all the out-of-towners!   MAK wave

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Lisa McK
Eyas

Like Count: 61

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 15-Jul-10, 01:46:38 PM »

I'll bring a dozen donuts

Lisa McK
Bonnie
Tiercel

Like Count: 45

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: 15-Jul-10, 02:41:06 PM »

I am bringing falcon toast with chicken pate.  I already had the chicken and ingredients and I used Julia Child's recipe for Country Pate.  No pigeon livers, sorry.

I still need a place to park.  I'll see you all there Friday afternoon.  I don't think I'll be able to miss any of you.  And you won't be able to miss me.  LOL!!

“No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wingsâ€
William Blake
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: