THE FORUM

25-Apr-24, 08:27:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jemison Found on Ground at Crown Plaza (7/2/10)  (Read 12468 times)
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« on: 02-Jul-10, 12:02:41 PM »

The Watchers have just reported that Jemison was found on the lawn in front of the Crown Plaza on State St., not far from the Time Square Bldg.  It is unknown if he was injured or not, but he is on his way to the vet for a check-up.

Hopefully all will be ok and we'll hear good news soon.
« Last Edit: 02-Jul-10, 12:14:24 PM by Carol P. » Logged

Peregrines know no borders.....
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 02-Jul-10, 12:07:30 PM »

From Jim P. who is at the Vets with Jemison.  "J looks fine so far.  Updates as I get more information."

dale
Falcon

Like Count: 276

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 02-Jul-10, 12:10:40 PM »

Oh, gosh...just as I was thinking that it seems as if they had both gotten their wings going without mishap!  I sure hope he's fine...glad he was found so promptly!!!
« Last Edit: 02-Jul-10, 12:14:47 PM by Carol P. » Logged
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02-Jul-10, 12:15:20 PM »

Oh our sweet boy!  And we weren't worried about him.

Thankful to the watchers!!!  And that jemison seems ok.

Do we know what happened?

Jeanne

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02-Jul-10, 12:29:08 PM »

No one has any idea what happened.  The way I understand it is that the police let MAK know that they had a Falcon down on the grass in front of the Crown Plaza.  By the time she drove over there, Animal Control was there and had already placed him in a carrier.  They told her they would be taking him to the Vet.

Kathy O and Diane were watching from the top of the South Ave. garage and they didn't see anything either.

Dana and Jim P are there.  Hopefully we'll hear something soon.

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02-Jul-10, 12:31:02 PM »

So glad Dana and Jim are there with him.  Wonderful response from everyone.  They must have gotten him really quickly cause he had been seen around 11:30. 

Sweet boy, life out of the nest is tough!

Anatole France
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02-Jul-10, 12:41:25 PM »

Update from Jim P: Jemison looks good per the Vet.  Dana has seen him too.

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02-Jul-10, 01:09:47 PM »

Kathy O reports that Callidora is on top of the Time Square Bldg, base of SE wing.

Bonnie
Tiercel

Like Count: 45

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 02-Jul-10, 01:27:40 PM »

This is worse than being the parent of a very active child.  Tell Jemi all his mommies and daddies and aunties and uncles and grammies and grandpies hope he is just fine and we want him back in the sky ASAP!

Tell him we won't be at the Crowne Plaza until July 15.

Grammie Bonnie

“No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wingsâ€
William Blake
DebInTexas
Juvie

Like Count: 13

George and Gracie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02-Jul-10, 01:28:37 PM »

Yeah, what Bonnie said!
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02-Jul-10, 01:31:17 PM »

Update from Jim P: Jemison looks good per the Vet.  Dana has seen him too.

Glad the police thought to tell the watchers!  Hopefully he'll remember that the ground is not a nice place for a falcon to be!

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02-Jul-10, 01:33:01 PM »

The police have been interested in the falcons and have seen the watchers, so that is very good!  So glad, if Jemison had to be grounded, that it was grass and not the street!  So glad someone reported it! 

Anatole France
Pattie AKA PAW50
Big Clutch

Like Count: 3

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02-Jul-10, 01:48:54 PM »

Any word yet from the vet...I am so thankful to everyone
theboot8mom
Big Clutch

Like Count: 4

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02-Jul-10, 01:49:37 PM »

I agree with Bonnie, they definitely feel like extended family Smiley
Lord G
Juvie

Like Count: 48

Peregrine Paparazzo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 02-Jul-10, 01:56:26 PM »

I arrived at the Vet's office at the same time as the Rochester Animal Control officer & identified myself.  He took Jemison out of his van in a pet carrier.  Jemison looked to be in good shape.  He was quiet, but nothing was out of place, no obvious broken bones or injuries.  His eyes were open and he was alert to his surroundings.

The Vet took him back into the aviary and performed a quick physical exam, during which Jemison was quite noisy.  Jemison moved his legs, feet and wings normally.  The doctor didn't find any injury to Jemison's wings, sternum, head or legs/feet, and pronounced that he appeared to be in good condition.  Dana was also there (Grannywood on the forum-- she works at the Vet's office) so we have one of our own directly involved with Jemison's care.  He's in great hands.

At the request of the Vet, I've sent an email off to Mike Allen at the DEC to see how they would like us to proceed.  I then went downtown to update the watchers and get more information.

From what I've been able to learn, bystanders at the Crown Plaza found Jemison on the grass, flapping but apparently not able to fly (according to their reports).  Someone called 911, and Rochester Animal Control was dispatched.  Our watcher MAK was alerted by an RPD patrolman who drove up to let her know.  By the time she got to the scene, Animal Control had already taken Jemison into custody.

Based on Jemison's condition and the description of the scene, I suspect (though I don't know for sure), that Jemison may either have just gotten tired and landed, or had a minor collision with a building or window, that caused him to be dazed.  It is quite possible that with a little more time, he would have "rescued himself" and after a bit of rest, flown off on his own.  However, the Animal Control folks certainly did the right thing gathering him up and getting him checked out.

As soon as we get more information I'll be sure to post it.  For now I'm not too worried about Jemison.  It's possible he has some occult injury, a concussion, strained muscle, or something else.  Observation and a little time should bear out the Vet's original prognosis or show us if anything is indeed wrong.  If it turns out he's fine, he'll probably just get some rest and then get released.  We'll know more after we talk to the DEC.

I took a couple of pictures of Jemison at the Vet's office.  I had to use my camera phone, so the quality's not terrific, but you can see that he's in good shape overall (and seems not too happy about his present circumstances).

I'll also post this info over at the FalconWatch blog.

"Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise"
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: