THE FORUM

01-May-24, 12:58:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jemison Released on His Own Recognizance  (Read 7736 times)
Yarak
Forum Bot
Bot
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 95

Keeping falcon fans connected

View Profile
« on: 02-Jul-10, 06:00:24 PM »

Watcher:  Jim P
Well, the afternoon was full of activity.  I spoke with the DEC to inform them of Jemison's condition.  Mike Allen gave his approval for returning Jemison to the top of the Times Square building as soon as the veterinarian certified that he was in good health.  I called the...

Link:
http://rfalconcam.com/falconwatching/?p=785

This is an automated post.
Bonnie
Tiercel

Like Count: 45

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: 02-Jul-10, 06:19:19 PM »

I'm glad to know he is back.  But the fact that he didn't go up seems to be a problem.  Fortunately, you have a great watch crew there.  I'm hoping for a good ending like we had in Jersey.

“No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wings”
William Blake
Pattie AKA PAW50
Big Clutch

Like Count: 3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02-Jul-10, 06:24:08 PM »

Thank You to both you and Carol it's in Beauty and Archer's hands now.  Thank heavens for the watchers.  Posted a link in ustream hope that's ok Thanks Again
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02-Jul-10, 07:11:22 PM »

Although Jemison may be a bit off his game right now, I'm posting the following quote from Mark Nash at the Canadian Peregrine Foundation...

"So far, there has been NO mortality and everyone seems to be doing quite well, staying aloft and away from the windows. The very good news: Is that each of the juveniles have all brushed up into the windows, and unlike many other birds, the young peregrines actually learn the dangers of the windows, and if they hit them softly and don’t injure themselves on these initial collisions, they do learn to stay away from glass.

This is an important lesson learned, as they will soon be picking up incredible speeds as they get older and more experienced, and if they have not learned the “window lesson “ early in their flight development, collisions with the windows at advanced ages usually results in serious injury or most often mortality due to the speeds that the juveniles are now traveling. We actually hope that they experience the “window lesson” early in their maiden flights, as they are slow and sloppy in their flights, and usually hit them softly at this stage."

Although we don't know exactly what happened, hopefully Jemison will have learned from the experience and be back to his normal self in no time.

I have faith he'll be fine...

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
chrissy
Pipping

Like Count: 6

Frodo checks my grammer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02-Jul-10, 08:41:24 PM »

Jim, Great work.  Sounds like he barely made it across the river!   Perhaps Beauty will rein him in a bit now.  This experience must have been an eyas opener for her.  javascript:void(0);

Did the vet rehydrate Jem? 

". . they don’t do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That’s why it’s a sin to kill a mockingbird."
      — Harper Lee
Lord G
Juvie

Like Count: 48

Peregrine Paparazzo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 02-Jul-10, 08:50:29 PM »

Don't know exactly what was done at the vet's office.

I do have an update on Jemison for everyone.  Carol P reports that Jemison tried to fly again but was unsuccessful.  He came to the ground and had to be captured.  He has been taken to the same rehabber that we used when Mariah was wounded in 2009.  A vet is on the way to take a look at Jemison (you may recall that a vet lives right next door to the rehabber's facility). 

The rehabber thinks Jemison may have a problem with his right shoulder.  This could have been caused by the collision with the building after he was released.

I'm sure Carol will have more information to share later, but she's been busy with getting Jemison to the rehabber.

"Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise"
DebbieB
Fluffball

Like Count: 3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02-Jul-10, 08:54:47 PM »

Thank goodness he was captured before he was seriously hurt.   Thanks to all the watchers for being there.
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02-Jul-10, 08:57:47 PM »

Thanks for letting us know, Jim.  I was hoping for better news, but he's safe and in very good hands.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02-Jul-10, 09:01:41 PM »

Poor Jemison...what a day for that boy! Prayers for a speedy recovery!

janethowland
Pipping

Like Count: 4

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02-Jul-10, 09:14:00 PM »

I'm going to miss seeing him sleeping outside the NB tonight. crying
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02-Jul-10, 09:18:43 PM »

I'm relieved he is in safe hands again.  He could have really hurt himself but now he will be given a chance to heal.  I'm sorry he won't be with his sister though..been a rough year for all of our falcons.
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02-Jul-10, 09:20:11 PM »

When he didn't fly after his release, it sounded like there was something wrong then. I'm so glad the watchers were there to get him again and that he's in good hands.  Hope the injury is not too serious.

Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02-Jul-10, 10:48:54 PM »

Sad poor baby
falconsforever129
Juvie

Like Count: 37

~~Believe In Miracles~~

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03-Jul-10, 12:26:58 AM »

When I heard that sweet little Jemi had an accident my heart stopped....I have been following this little family for a while now...I found the site listed on the NJ Duke Farms Eagle cam.
I am so attached to these birds. 
Rest well little one and come home soon to your sister.
My prayers go out to you and to Beauty...she must be so sad looking for her baby.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: