THE FORUM

27-Apr-24, 04:09:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dead bird found in utica. (warning graphic)  (Read 4751 times)
AFAngel376
Big Clutch

Like Count: 3

View Profile
« on: 11-Aug-09, 07:09:06 PM »

hi, my boyfriend texted me today sending me pictures of a bird, very worried that it was either maya or tor up here in utica. I was positive it wasnt them by the yellowed coloring, but instead feared it was a juvinille.

Since i've been home i"ve uploaded the pictures for a better look. I'm going to attatch the pictures. From the picture, I know its not a peregrine by the facial markings, and the tail bands. But what i'm confused about... is what bird is it then?

At first i was thinking Merlin, but the beak doesnt seem right, it was the closest description i could get to the tail bands though. Maybe you guys can give me some help so i can at least identify the poor guy.
Helen in MD
Eyas

Like Count: 76

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 11-Aug-09, 08:43:45 PM »

I'm thinking either Coopers or Sharp-shinned with preference toward Coop.
Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

Like Count: 283

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11-Aug-09, 09:06:48 PM »

Boy, your bird has the coloring and look of a falcon.  Here are a couple photos of a merlin with the same tail markings.  I think your first guess might be correct.  Perhaps the beak was damaged with the impact.   Based on the weeds in concrete, the size comparison is appropriate for a merlin as well.

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11-Aug-09, 11:16:19 PM »

I just did a google image search and this little one does look like a merlin but I am not good at bird identification!  (remember the time I thought a black balloon was a falcon:)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Judi
Juvie

Like Count: 43

African Fish Eagle

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11-Aug-09, 11:19:50 PM »

I think I agree with Joyce, it's a merlin.  At first I thought it was a coop because of the tail but looking at the coloring, etc.  I'm gonna go with a merlin. 

Life's a dance, you learn as you go...sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow...
Lord G
Juvie

Like Count: 48

Peregrine Paparazzo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 13-Aug-09, 08:55:44 AM »

Boy, your bird has the coloring and look of a falcon.  Here are a couple photos of a merlin with the same tail markings.  I think your first guess might be correct.  Perhaps the beak was damaged with the impact.   Based on the weeds in concrete, the size comparison is appropriate for a merlin as well.

Yep, I was thinking Merlin as well...

"Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise"
Albion
Pipping

Like Count: 3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21-Aug-09, 08:44:26 AM »

star star :star:Tail feathers give it away with the white stripe across....MERLIN  star star star
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: