THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 06:08:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spider question for Mirta!  (Read 1706 times)
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« on: 01-Aug-10, 01:21:53 PM »

Mirta-

At the falcon watcher breakfast we had a spider join us.  We learned how fast a web can be made and broken.  We had a spider drop down from a tree to the food table on a web, that was broken in no time since it was obviously a busy spot.  I tried taking some pictures that didn't come out very well, but here they are.  Any commentary is appreciated!

I didn't realize how bright the sun was-had to play with the contrast a bit...

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Mirta
Fledgling

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 01-Aug-10, 04:34:21 PM »

Mirta-

At the falcon watcher breakfast we had a spider join us.  We learned how fast a web can be made and broken.  We had a spider drop down from a tree to the food table on a web, that was broken in no time since it was obviously a busy spot.  I tried taking some pictures that didn't come out very well, but here they are.  Any commentary is appreciated!

I didn't realize how bright the sun was-had to play with the contrast a bit...

Hi!
Perhaps a big bug or a bird brake the web or it was escaping from a predator.
It is difficult to ID spiders from pictures.... I can`t see some details... but I`m sure is a spider from Araneidae family. Perhaps Araneus genus... and a low chance to be Araneus diadematus, the cross spider that was introduced in NA from Europe.
How big it was?

spider  Mirta
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01-Aug-10, 04:40:16 PM »

Hi!
Perhaps a big bug or a bird brake the web or it was escaping from a predator.
It is difficult to ID spiders from pictures.... I can`t see some details... but I`m sure is a spider from Araneidae family. Perhaps Araneus genus... and a low chance to be Araneus diadematus, the cross spider that was introduced in NA from Europe.
How big it was?

spider  Mirta

I'm a miserable judge of sizes-the body was probably 1/2 inch long.  Carol took some pictures too-I don't know if hers came out any better.  But this is more than we knew at the time! Thanks!

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: