THE FORUM

21-Sep-24, 12:44:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kakking  (Read 7072 times)
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« on: 05-Aug-10, 04:18:52 PM »

Yesterday CarolP said she never heard a juvie kak before when commenting about my morning report. Can someone explain to me what juvie talk is called if not kakking? ???

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 05-Aug-10, 04:23:19 PM »

Whining and crying?

As opposed to when we said Beauty was a screamer:)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 315

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05-Aug-10, 06:33:35 PM »

It's funny how we can read things differently-I took her comment to mean the at people part, not the kakking part. 

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05-Aug-10, 10:00:10 PM »

We talked about this tonite.  I consider kakking, an alarm call by the adults.  KAK!KAK!KAK!KAK! Very loud.  Ee-chupping, more a conversational vocalization.  We decided (Jeanne, Brian, MAK and I) that a longer drawn out, whiny, higher pitched, aaaacccckkkk, aaaacccckkkk, aaaacccckkkk is the juvie cry.   Cheesy

Peregrines know no borders.....
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05-Aug-10, 10:03:10 PM »

Ack ack I'm still a juvie!    harhar

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05-Aug-10, 10:05:36 PM »

Ack ack I'm still a juvie!    harhar

It's a MAK ACK ATTACK!   hysterical

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05-Aug-10, 10:09:28 PM »

and speaking of which-- we heard that ack ack tonight!!!!  Music to our ears!   heart heart heart

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05-Aug-10, 10:10:40 PM »

You guys are CR "ACK"  N me up!  2funny OK so a Juvie alarm is Ack and an adult is Kak! Very interesting.

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05-Aug-10, 10:10:53 PM »

and speaking of which-- we heard that ack ack tonight!!!!  Music to our ears!   heart heart heart

Sorry I missed it!

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05-Aug-10, 10:15:43 PM »

You guys are CR "ACK"  N me up!  2funny OK so a Juvie alarm is Ack and an adult is Kak! Very interesting.

B"ack" to the "ack"tion.  I think it's a multi-used verbalization.  Fright or maybe surprise (by the man on the tower). Hungry (as in feed me now mom and dad!).  Attention (here I am!).  I'm not sure a juvie has more than one sound.  I'll have to pay more attention.  

I do know that not all juvies sound the same.  A few years ago, one of M&K's young had a very, very whinny/tinny sound to their cry.  You always knew when this little one was coming.

Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07-Aug-10, 07:55:05 AM »

I do know that not all juvies sound the same.  A few years ago, one of M&K's young had a very, very whinny/tinny sound to their cry.  You always knew when this little one was coming.
which one was it?
Lord G
Juvie

Like Count: 48

Peregrine Paparazzo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 09-Aug-10, 12:05:33 AM »

The available literature on the subject (at least that which is easily accessible via a web search) indicates that both the adult and juvenile vocalization is referred to as a "kak".  I don't think there's any problem with referring to the alarm call of either a juvenile or an adult by the same term, though there are certainly differences in timbre, depth and volume.  See the "Voice" section on this page from the Canadian Peregrine Foundation for an example.

The Communication and Perception section of the Peregrine page on the University of Michigan's Museum of Zoology site also has some useful information that points toward both perceptions of a "kak" and an "ack" being basically the same vocalization since there is a great deal of individuality in these calls.  It makes for interesting reading.
« Last Edit: 09-Aug-10, 12:10:57 AM by Lord G » Logged

"Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise"
Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

Like Count: 283

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09-Aug-10, 03:01:05 AM »

The available literature on the subject (at least that which is easily accessible via a web search) indicates that both the adult and juvenile vocalization is referred to as a "kak".  I don't think there's any problem with referring to the alarm call of either a juvenile or an adult by the same term, though there are certainly differences in timbre, depth and volume.  See the "Voice" section on this page from the Canadian Peregrine Foundation for an example.

The Communication and Perception section of the Peregrine page on the University of Michigan's Museum of Zoology site also has some useful information that points toward both perceptions of a "kak" and an "ack" being basically the same vocalization since there is a great deal of individuality in these calls.  It makes for interesting reading.

Thanks Jim for posting these links.  I've never seen the one from MI.  Good resource! 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: