THE FORUM

16-Sep-24, 04:06:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 119 120 [121] 122 123 124 125 ... 161   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canada Falcons: All but those hatched in Rochester  (Read 1082745 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #1800 on: 16-Mar-15, 02:16:24 PM »

Poor Lucky doesn't seem very lucky.  He avoided tangling with Skye only to fly into the territory of Skye's dad, Jack.

Yes and Jack is 13, can he mess with a young boy??? I hope Jack is OK.

patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: 16-Mar-15, 02:35:41 PM »

Poor Lucky doesn't seem very lucky.  He avoided tangling with Skye only to fly into the territory of Skye's dad, Jack.

Yes and Jack is 13, can he mess with a young boy??? I hope Jack is OK.
Me too.   Sad

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: 16-Mar-15, 05:27:24 PM »

Lucky may have had it easier with old man Jack than Miss tough girl O'Connor. Hopefully nobody got hurt. wow

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: 17-Mar-15, 05:59:54 AM »

WELCOME, LILY! Monday, March 16, 2015 - Hamilton's latest arrival now has a name! Some serious detective work was needed to verify that a minor discrepancy in the banding database was indeed just a clerical error. Today, with the assistance of Barb Baldinger and Karen Cleveland from the Michigan Department of Natural Resources, we were able to confirm the identity of the new female Peregrine at the Sheraton Hamilton nest as "Lily", hatched in 2010, at the Grand Haven Board of Light & Power plant, in Michigan. The Michigan DNR was kind enough to forward to us some photos of Lily when she was banded by biologist Nik Kalejs (shown here). Lily was named by the students of Holmes Elementary School as part of a fund-raising effort which saw them raising $500 towards the costs of the banding programme there. They will be proud to know the falcon they named looks like she is going to make a name for herself here in Hamilton! Our best wishes are with Lily and Ossie for a successful breeding season!

carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: 19-Mar-15, 05:04:11 PM »

MEC Camera Work and Big News. The First Egg is Here.
March 19, 2015 - Mississauga - Executive Centre
Tracy Simpson Reports:

I was out at MEC today continuing to work on bringing the camera image, which is functioning perfectly, to the website. It would seem that the issue is within the building itself and I will have the help of MEC staff tomorrow to try and rectify it. During the building upgrades that have now made the MEC complex a fabulous example of sustainable workplaces, it would appear the camera and router are not connecting. Fingers crossed we get it fixed tomorrow.

The bigger and most fabulous news is that it appears as have our first egg confirmed in southern Ontario. The egg was just partially visible at the top edge of the camera image as the female has decided to lay against the north edge of the box. There may be a second egg beside it but it really is impossible to tell right now. I was able to catch the pair copulating and we are not in full time incubation yet. The male was positively identified as the unbanded male that has been there for many seasons and the females identity has yet to be confirmed. The good news is that as the female turns the eggs, given where she has laid them,  she will have to roll them towards the centre of the box giving us a full view when they hatch. Congratulations to MEC on your first egg!!
« Last Edit: 19-Mar-15, 05:26:30 PM by carly » Logged
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: 19-Mar-15, 05:24:47 PM »

And so it begins!! Thanks Carly!!!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: 19-Mar-15, 08:22:18 PM »

thumbsup

-John Burroughs
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: 21-Mar-15, 06:59:10 AM »

Mississauga MEC - Web cam came back online yesterday and we saw 2 eggs in the scrape.  This morning there are 3 eggs I got a look at!  Bands on female are Black/Red which is consistent with Midnight's colors but still need to see the letters/numbers to confirm.  Male is unbanded.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: 21-Mar-15, 07:14:44 AM »

Mississauga MEC - Web cam came back online yesterday and we saw 2 eggs in the scrape.  This morning there are 3 eggs I got a look at!  Bands on female are Black/Red which is consistent with Midnight's colors but still need to see the letters/numbers to confirm.  Male is unbanded.

Nice thanks!!  thumbsup

AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: 04-Apr-15, 09:15:29 AM »

Etobicoke

O'Connor and her new mate Lucky have their first egg this morning. Congratulations to them!

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: 04-Apr-15, 09:19:02 AM »

Etobicoke

O'Connor and her new mate Lucky have their first egg this morning. Congratulations to them!

Just saw that on CPF..congrats to them but I thought I read that Jack was still the resident there.  I wonder if Carly could give us an update if he's still at his other site.

AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: 04-Apr-15, 09:36:06 AM »

Etobicoke

Just saw that on CPF..congrats to them but I thought I read that Jack was still the resident there.  I wonder if Carly could give us an update if he's still at his other site.
I have been wondering about Jack too — whether he is okay, and if he is still at his other site. I thought Lucky had taken over here. Or did Jack take this nest back again?

From the CPF site:

First Egg for O’Connor and Lucky
April 04, 2015 - Etobicoke - Sun Life Centre

Kathy Reports:

Laid overnight under the cover of darkness!  This morning there is an egg in the nest tray!

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: 04-Apr-15, 11:40:11 AM »

Etobicoke

I have been wondering about Jack too — whether he is okay, and if he is still at his other site. I thought Lucky had taken over here. Or did Jack take this nest back again?

From the CPF site:

First Egg for O’Connor and Lucky
April 04, 2015 - Etobicoke - Sun Life Centre

Kathy Reports:

Laid overnight under the cover of darkness!  This morning there is an egg in the nest tray!

I guess, from posts on BCAW, that Lucky is with O'Connor now.  The guy who reports on the other site says that, based on behavior, he thinks Jack is still at the other site but Carly was going to do some investigating on her own.

carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: 04-Apr-15, 01:31:57 PM »

hi Alison - I am still working on determining if Jack is at his other site, I think he is however it's private property so I can't go on the property to ID him.  I've got a few people that live nearby working on it so we'll see what they come up with.   

It was strange - Jack was at our site on a Saturday - I even took a screen shot of him and then on Sunday I saw no one and first thing Monday morning I see Lucky on the ledge.  No reports of a battle at all.  But O'Connor was less than impressed with sharing Jack after last years losses and he didn't seem too keen on her either based on some behaviors he was exhibiting towards her.  The speed with which she accepted Lucky confirmed to me that my instincts on that were correct.

Perhaps at 13 he just decided - like Windwhistler once did - that it's better to retire quietly to his other site.  Though it's sad for those of us who follow Jack, for O'Connor I think it will be much better - she's a different bird since Lucky came along.
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: 04-Apr-15, 03:09:14 PM »

I do hope it's Jack at his other site so we know he's okay. Thanks Carly!!  wave

-John Burroughs
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 119 120 [121] 122 123 124 125 ... 161   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: