THE FORUM

18-Apr-24, 06:35:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 ... 161   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canada Falcons: All but those hatched in Rochester  (Read 1015730 times)
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: 01-Jul-10, 08:07:50 AM »

Still no ID on that new tiercel at Y&E but Frank thinks that black tape may have been put on by a rehabber not from fledge watch.  The reason being, he said the male has an old injury on his right wing and as a result it doesn't fully extend properly but he said it hasn't impaired his flying or hunting abilities.  Apparently he's quite the hunter!  So now we have Black/Green band on a Northern US tiercel that may have been in rehab and re-released.  
huddiecat
Juvie

Like Count: 44

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: 01-Jul-10, 08:47:57 AM »

Oh gosh, how curious!  If only he could talk and tell you his side of the story!  At least he is still the hunter, despite an old wing injury! 
Keep us posted happy
Suzanne
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: 01-Jul-10, 10:30:20 AM »

I've said this before but there needs to be a central database

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
huddiecat
Juvie

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: 01-Jul-10, 11:15:44 AM »

Jeanne, you are right, there needs to be a central database!!  There is that place in Maryland (I think) which tracks all the USFW avian leg bands.  At least that is what I have been told.  We have requested info on a couple of bald eagles, but still no response.  Maybe they would respond to GVAS? 

Did you realize that USFW even controls the leg bands we put on the crows and keeps the record?

Suzanne 
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: 01-Jul-10, 11:23:59 AM »

Jeanne, you are right, there needs to be a central database!!  There is that place in Maryland (I think) which tracks all the USFW avian leg bands.  At least that is what I have been told.  We have requested info on a couple of bald eagles, but still no response.  Maybe they would respond to GVAS? 

Did you realize that USFW even controls the leg bands we put on the crows and keeps the record?

Suzanne 

That's odd about Patuxent, Suzanne.  One of the photographers on the Norfolk eagle forum sent in a band he photographed-I think it was a brown pelican-heard back all about it about a month later.  Maybe try again?

I do wish we had an eastern database like the midwest one.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
huddiecat
Juvie

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: 01-Jul-10, 11:28:16 AM »

Hi Ei,
Yes, we thought it odd also, and were going to have one of the Audubon, DEC, or USFW folks we know "re-ask" for the info. 

As for the crow band info, we keep our own database with the numbers, it makes it quicker/easier to check obviously.
Suzanne
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: 01-Jul-10, 11:01:46 PM »

First Successful Catch???????
July 01, 2010 - Burlington - Lift Bridge
Sue McCreadie Reports:

This evening out of nowhere, we spotted Brant trying to land on the cable wires.  To our surprise, he was carrying a bird in his talons.  Was this the first successful catch?  I think so, because there was absolutely no sign of Mom and Dad nor the typical screaming when Mom or Dad deliver dinner.  As a matter of fact, Mom and Dad had not been seen for most of the day.  Sister Diana rushed out to meet Brant screaming but she soon realized that he was not sharing.

!!! While we have received no updates on the nesting activities of the London peregrines, there is still lots of peregrine activity!!
July 25, 2010 - London - TD Tower
CPF Postmaster Reports:

Hi…
I live on St. Bees Close in north London about a km north of University of Western Ontario.
This past Friday June 25, 2010 about 6 pm, a peregrine falcon (not sure of sex) was in the middle of the street, with a young starling in its talons and about 10 adult starlings standing and swooping down on it to try and get it to let the youngster go.
Quite a sight and very unexpected.
Jim Durham

!!! A new family!
June 30, 2010 - Etobicoke - William Osler
Mark Nash Reports:

Hi Mark & Matt
I was able to get a couple of pics through the peep hole of the chicks today. Still one egg left to hatch, fingers crossed.
Photos to follow.
Joe

!!! Well this is the year of the glass balconies!! Yet another fledgling entrapped behind a glass balcony! It’s Zera!
June 30, 2010 - Toronto - King Street
Mark Nash Reports:

Yet another call from Toronto Wildlife after they received a call from Rob, an employee with Image Design who calls from his cell phone while working at job site at George and Adalide in downtown Toronto, as he watches a young banded peregrine falcon struggle to get free from yet another glass balcony enclosure.

Identified as Zera by her 18 over X black band, she was produced at the Toronto 18 King Street nest site this year, and has hopefully learned a valuable lesson today about urban living. Uninjured and very peeved off, Zera was rescued safe and sound and will be released back to her parents and the nest site at 18 King Street nest site were she was produced.

!!! A view from the east!
June 30, 2010 - Toronto - Uptown Yonge and Eglinton
Mark Nash Reports:

Just thought I would give everyone a look of the nest building (and the actual nest ledge) from the east.
Also indicated is where little typhoon was rescued from a glass balcony - (in red).

carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: 02-Jul-10, 08:06:12 AM »

Okay...help!!  I have a bit more info on that Band ID. It's black green 8/?  Here is what Frank has posted and sent me.  Any help would be appreciated.  I searched the Midwest database but they all seem to have double digits.

Both Mark and I could clearly see the Black over Green band with a number 8 over N,M,H or the number 4. Our best possibly view was hampered by glare from the sun.
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: 02-Jul-10, 08:41:31 AM »

Okay...help!!  I have a bit more info on that Band ID. It's black green 8/?  Here is what Frank has posted and sent me.  Any help would be appreciated.  I searched the Midwest database but they all seem to have double digits.

Both Mark and I could clearly see the Black over Green band with a number 8 over N,M,H or the number 4. Our best possibly view was hampered by glare from the sun.

OK-just a quick glance at the Rochester banding tables-black/green 8*/number = male bands 2005 & 2006

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: 02-Jul-10, 08:45:59 AM »

OK-just a quick glance at the Rochester banding tables-black/green 8*/number = male bands 2005 & 2006

edit...2004 & 2005...

2004 hafoc 8*/9* (deceased) grissom 8*/5*
2005 aconcagua 8*/3* fulmine 8*/2*

so...looks like it may be NY-and, if it's a 4*, likely a male banded by Mike Allen

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: 02-Jul-10, 09:02:44 AM »

Wasn't the thinking that Acongagua is female?

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: 02-Jul-10, 09:05:21 AM »

Thanks guys!  I'll point Frank in that direction.
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: 02-Jul-10, 09:10:07 AM »

Wasn't the thinking that Acongagua is female?

I'm sure she is, Jeanne-I included it for the series-if it's *4, it's the band between Aconcagua's and Grissom's

Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #268 on: 02-Jul-10, 09:19:19 AM »

I think Mike banded the Syracuse falcons between Grissom and Acon.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: 02-Jul-10, 09:07:56 PM »

Falcon Chedoke injured in crash landing

What goes up sometimes comes down, hard.

The last of four Hamilton Peregrine Falcon chicks to leave their nest atop the downtown Sheraton hotel is in rehab today  after a crash landing.

The Hamilton Naturalists club says Chedoke crashed atop the  entrance marquee of the Stelco Tower on King Street West, not far above street level Wednesday, damaging one wing.

She was rescued late in the day by Falconwatch co-ordinator Brad Asseltine and 2009 co-ordinator Sandra Davey

The injured bird is now staying at a rehabilitation facility, awaiting x-rays, which may take a few days to obtain.

Audrey Gamble, of the Hamilton Community Peregrine Project, said an x-ray will determine if chedoke suffered a muscle injury or a broken bone.

“She may have hit the glass above the marquee and injured herself.”

Those who examined the bird after rescue say if she did break a bone in her wing it was not a catastrophic break. “We’ll know soon enough,” said Gamble.

Chedoke remained feisty throughout her ordeal on the entrance marquee, visibly annoyed at missing lunch and even putting up a fight when assistance arrived.

This is the 16th season a pair of peregrine falcons has nested on the hotel and these four chicks bring the total number of falcons hatched there to 50.

You can check out the latest pictures from the nest.

There seems to be an epidemic here....poor Canada, they had their share this year.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 ... 161   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: