THE FORUM

16-Sep-24, 03:50:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 ... 161   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canada Falcons: All but those hatched in Rochester  (Read 1082472 times)
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #990 on: 24-Jun-12, 12:15:06 PM »

!!! A good watch at Yellow Pages!
June 22, 2012 - Scarborough - Yellow Pages

CPF Postmaster Reports:

June 22 - 2012 PM Watch repoer:

Yellow Pages - Friday June 22, 2012 early evening report:
We arrived at the Yellowpage site around 6:45pm for our first ever fledge watch on Linn and Reuben’s kids.
Upon arrival, Mark let us know that little Albus had already been rescued earlier during the day by Kathy. Panagiotis (little Paul) was on one of the mid level ledge facing west and baby Eagan was in the nest ledge.

In the next few hours, little Paul ran along back and forth full length of the ledge a few times, flapping his wings practising. Seems frustrating at some point when his brother in the nest box was getting fed a little bit of food earlier.
At around 8:30, there were some attempt by the adult to hunt but came back empty talons. The kids stayed in the same position as earlier in the evening for the night.

The weather was much cooler Friday after the downpour on Thursday and it was very comfortable and even windy/cold.

Overall the watch was an amazing experience. Mark and Tracy were very kind to allowed us to see and explain in details the release of Albus back onto the ledge.
Winnie & Alan

Posted on June 24, 2012 4:20 am
Observation for Scarborough - Yellow Pages

!!! All five in sight! A happy family for sure!
June 22, 2012 - Toronto - Don Mills

CPF Postmaster Reports:

June 22nd - 2012Hey Mark!

I have been by a few times this week, before and after work and always missed them! But went last night and saw the whole family! I first saw Kira then Mom, who Kira went after–on the building(240) and then she actually chased her!! Was lovely to see. Soon the siblings were there and hung out at 220 and Kira joined them. I got a few pics. Dad flew by late, with no food. Last I saw them, Blaze was in Mom’s favorite spot on nest building, and the girls were on the ledges at 240, along with Mom. Great to see them flying so well, tho Blaze’s landings were a little wonky! They really are beautiful.
Have a great weekend.
Cathy Karr

Posted on June 24, 2012 4:03 am
Observation for Toronto - Don Mills

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #991 on: 24-Jun-12, 08:43:17 PM »

Solar Has a Big Day
June 22, 2012 - Toronto - Canada Square Building - Yonge and Eglinton

Marion says Solar just flew/ran into the dark. Marion in full pursuit, stopped a bus in its tracks and then she carried on following this headstrong little peregrine who was now heading to the entrance to subway area. When Marion arrived about fifteen people were converging on the falcon and Marion, now totally ticked off with the peregrine and perhaps the people, yelled for no-one to touch the bird and to back away. When her authority was questioned Marion went into high gear and showed what her authority was. Pint sized little Marion was like a peregrine mom protecting her young!!!

Posted on June 23, 2012 8:57 am
Observation for Toronto - Canada Square Building - Yonge and Eglinton

spit If you've ever met her, you know just how true this is!

Oh yeah!  Marion is a force to be reckoned with! 

Peregrines know no borders.....
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #992 on: 25-Jun-12, 11:13:27 PM »

Jon Pressick writes: "This peregrine falcon landed just outside our window on the ledge of a building at Yonge and Eglinton. Its arrival certainly livened up an otherwise boring (Monday) meeting."

Who  is this?

Toronto Star

margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #993 on: 26-Jun-12, 12:31:25 AM »

Jon Pressick writes: "This peregrine falcon landed just outside our window on the ledge of a building at Yonge and Eglinton. Its arrival certainly livened up an otherwise boring (Monday) meeting."

Who  is this?

Toronto Star

Not a juvie, and not banded?  Am I seeing this correctly?
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 315

View Profile
« Reply #994 on: 26-Jun-12, 05:41:24 AM »

Who  is this?

Toronto Star

Not a juvie, and not banded?  Am I seeing this correctly?

Unbanded adult = Haven

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #995 on: 26-Jun-12, 05:59:03 PM »

!!! The young fledgling named Janet is still beein seen and still alive!
June 26, 2012 - Mississauga - Executive Centre

CPF Postmaster Reports:

June 26th - 2012

A quickly update on the status of the peregrines at the MEC nest site. The good news, is that reports are still coming in with regards to the status on Janet, the sole surviving fledgling from the MEC nest site. As reports stream in from observers in the area that are still seeing Janet - (banded Black 57 over X on one leg and a Yellow band on the other leg) hiding out on the condo / apartment balconies around Eglinton and Hurontario in Mississauga.

The resident adult female - (her mother) that was injured in a territorial battle with another adult female is still in rehabilitation and although we have not received any recent news on her status, the last we had an update is that she had finally been transferred to the Owl foundation where she can benefit from much larger flight pens so that her flight skills can be properly evaluated.

The banded - still and unidentified “rouge” adult female continues to occupy the nesting territory and nest box at the MEC nest. It appears that has finally been able to charm and attract the attention of the resident adult male as he has finally stopped stooping and attacking her in his efforts to drive her out of the territory and protect his remaining offspring.

This banded adult rouge female has also finally stopped attacking the juvenile Janet since her father has both moved her away from the nest territory and hidden her at another location, and been coaxing this rouge adult female with food back to the nest territory away from Janet. Pretty smart indeed!

It has been fascinating to see this story unfold as the resident adult male has figured out a way to protect his surviving offspring by moving her to another site away from the nest territory, and has kept the adult rouge female at bay first by constantly attacking and stooping her, then by providing her with food to distract her, while at the same time he retrieves other food cashes that he has secretly stashed and takes these food caches up to feed Janet at another location while the adult rouge female is eating at the nest site.

It has been both tragic and fascinating to see this story unfold. It has become quite obvious now as we review all of our fledge watch notes and connect the dots as they say, that this rough adult banded female has been responsible for the premature fledgling and death of the other two much younger siblings produced at this nest site - (named Jennifer & Skyreach), in addition to the injury of the resident adult female mother as they battled for the territory.

While it appears that the resident adult male has succumb to the presence and pressure of this new adult female, and has accepted the fact that he has not been able to drive her off and she is here to stay, he still continues to sneak off throughout the day to attend to his offspring Janet still being hidden out in the Eglinton & Hurontario area.

We await further news on the original territorial adult female with regards to her rehabilitation and will advice on when she can finally be released. Sadly, this story is far from being over, as we know only too well what will happen when she is finally released back to the wild - (where ever she is released from). As we have experienced on many occasions, regardless of when or where she is released, her first mission in life as a wild free bird will be to return back to “her home territory, her mate and her offspring” and will once again be in battle with the rouge female on her territory.

We will keep you adviced as to her release date as soon as the Ministry of Natural Resources has advised us of her release date.
Stay tuned…………

Posted on June 26, 2012 11:41 am
Observation for Mississauga - Executive Centre

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #996 on: 26-Jun-12, 06:02:52 PM »

!!! All fledglings still visible & even Eagan is now holding his altitude after his rescue last night from the ground!
June 26, 2012 - Scarborough - Yellow Pages

CPF Volunteer Reports:

June 26th - 2012 - 7:30am
Hi again:
I stopped in at the Yellow Pages building on my way home from work this morning at about 7:30 am. I immediately spotted one fledgling on an upper ledge on the South side of the building. I spotted the second on the ledge on southwest corner directly opposite the nest box ledge. The third however remained elusive as I circled the building
two or three times. Then the female adult Linn appeared on the peak of the building perched on the white pipes. Still looking for the third fledgling, I lost sight of the one on the south side. Argh! I walked farther away from the south side to try to get a better point of view and as if on cue, there sits one fledgling right beside mom with another about 15 feet below that on the slanted roof (looks like there is some wire netting on it so it provided a surface with traction). And wow were they screaming at mom for food.
She of course continued preening and ignored them-even though one was screaming in her ear! I quickly checked on the fledgling on the southwest ledge and he was still there! All three in sight and mom too! What a wonderful sight that was!!
Irma

Posted on June 26, 2012 2:15 pm
Observation for Scarborough - Yellow Pages

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #997 on: 26-Jun-12, 06:05:16 PM »

Don Mills - all three juveniles flying
June 26, 2012 - Toronto - Don Mills

Ann Brokelman Reports:

Today at lunch I saw all fledged Peregrine Falcon.

Amora flew into the pillar with Mira.

Mira took off and flew to the top of the building

Then Mira flew over to the 220 building. Quest flew by and Mira went after her.

Blaze was tucked into same building just resting.

My final view was all three on 220 Duncan Millls

Posted on June 26, 2012 5:51 pm

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #998 on: 26-Jun-12, 08:46:47 PM »

All 3 doing good at Harlequin also!  clap

margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #999 on: 26-Jun-12, 08:51:07 PM »

Don Mills - all three juveniles flying
June 26, 2012 - Toronto - Don Mills

Ann Brokelman Reports:

Today at lunch I saw all fledged Peregrine Falcon.

Amora flew into the pillar with Mira.

Mira took off and flew to the top of the building

Then Mira flew over to the 220 building. Quest flew by and Mira went after her.

Blaze was tucked into same building just resting.

My final view was all three on 220 Duncan Millls

Posted on June 26, 2012 5:51 pm

YAY!!! clap For Quest and Kendal and the three fledglings!      So happy to read this news from Ann! 
May they forever fly high and strong, and continue the genes  of the wonderful family tree!
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: 28-Jun-12, 11:25:03 AM »

!!! William Osler banding success! Two very healthy hatchlings!! One male and one female!

June 27, 2012 - Etobicoke - William Osler
CPF Postmaster Reports:

June 27th - 2012
A great day at the William Osler Health care centre in Etobicoke Ontario this morning as two very healthy young hatchlings were successfully weighed, sexed and banded. William Osler’s newest family members were identified as one male and one female.

We are waiting on the Hospitals name the hatchling contest to assign them their new names and will report this information as soon as we have the winners of the contest and their names.

A huge thank you to the William Osler staff who hosted the banding and to Mark Heaton and the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources for banding William Osler’s newest family members.

Again a big thank you to the Rochester gals who were able to attend and all of the CPf staff and volunteers that were on hand to assist.

Stay tuned for photos and further details of the banding……
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: 28-Jun-12, 02:55:26 PM »

crying crying crying

Another Sad Day At the Lift Bridge
June 28, 2012 - Burlington - Lift Bridge
Sue McCreadie Reports:

Just shortly after we returned from the Lift Bridge this morning, we received an e-mail from our friend Nils Foss about a downed falcon on the Toronto Bound Skyway. At just about the same time as I was reading the e-mail, Marion Nash from CPF called after having received the same report.  Bill and I headed out immediately to do a drive by.  Of course we found it in the left shoulder where there is no room to stop.  We drove the Skyway again to see if we could get a band number.  No luck.  We headed to the Lift Bridge and with the help of Clare, we were able to get in touch with the Ministry of Transportation who were kind enough to dispatch a vehicle to pick up our bird.  When we met up with them on Eastport Drive, we were so sad to see that it was little Port Hope.

We want to thank Clare from the Lift Bridge, the Ministry of Transportation and the fellows from TWD Road Maintenance who retrieved little Port Hope.

Fly free precious little one.
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: 28-Jun-12, 03:00:13 PM »

crying crying crying

Another Sad Day At the Lift Bridge
June 28, 2012 - Burlington - Lift Bridge
Sue McCreadie Reports:

Just shortly after we returned from the Lift Bridge this morning, we received an e-mail from our friend Nils Foss about a downed falcon on the Toronto Bound Skyway. At just about the same time as I was reading the e-mail, Marion Nash from CPF called after having received the same report.  Bill and I headed out immediately to do a drive by.  Of course we found it in the left shoulder where there is no room to stop.  We drove the Skyway again to see if we could get a band number.  No luck.  We headed to the Lift Bridge and with the help of Clare, we were able to get in touch with the Ministry of Transportation who were kind enough to dispatch a vehicle to pick up our bird.  When we met up with them on Eastport Drive, we were so sad to see that it was little Port Hope.

We want to thank Clare from the Lift Bridge, the Ministry of Transportation and the fellows from TWD Road Maintenance who retrieved little Port Hope.

Fly free precious little one.

crying Fly free, little Port Hope.

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: 28-Jun-12, 07:18:14 PM »

crying heart

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: 28-Jun-12, 07:51:30 PM »

I've run out of words.  crying  This is NOT a good year for fledglings!!

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 ... 161   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: