THE FORUM

07-Sep-24, 10:55:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 129 130 [131] 132 133 134 135 ... 161   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canada Falcons: All but those hatched in Rochester  (Read 1078626 times)
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #1950 on: 29-Aug-15, 08:38:48 PM »

Thankfully Carly, there isn't much traffic at this location.  I've seen other Peregrines do this.  Always makes me a bit nervous.  He is a very handsome lad (or lass).   wub2

Peregrines know no borders.....
patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: 29-Aug-15, 08:55:51 PM »

This is such a feel good moment! Thank you S/39 "Big Frank" for coming to visit Rochester.

Thanks MAK for photographing little Big Frank and capturing his ID.

And thanks to Dana for being diligent in watching the Medley Center! Oh aren't we all just so happy!!!!!  yahoo
I'm a little verklempt, and I never met Frank.  Smiley

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: 29-Aug-15, 09:26:11 PM »

Thankfully Carly, there isn't much traffic at this location.  I've seen other Peregrines do this.  Always makes me a bit nervous.  He is a very handsome lad (or lass).   wub2

O'Connor does this at our site and it scares me half to death.  I've seen her chase a bird down into 4 lanes of traffic and I honestly just close my eyes when she does it because I"m terrified I'll watch her get killed but she always seems to know when to pull up.  I've had people come and get me upstairs because 'a falcon' just flew through traffic and landed on the sidewalk and they think 'she's injured' and by the time I get out there, she's back up on top of the building. 

Glad you got to see Frank(ie) and hopefully he/she stays safe.
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: 30-Aug-15, 12:26:30 PM »

WanderingFalcon (Carol P.): I noticed that yesterday. Asked about it. Carly said he got a USFW silver band with white tape. Where did it go? Mystery

I wonder if it fell off?  I know it does happen, not often but it's the only explanation I can think of.  Well other than someone took it off say for example he did a stint in rehab somewhere and they removed the band for some reason like it was too tight or something.
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: 30-Aug-15, 01:59:44 PM »

WanderingFalcon (Carol P.): I noticed that yesterday. Asked about it. Carly said he got a USFW silver band with white tape. Where did it go? Mystery

I wonder if it fell off?  I know it does happen, not often but it's the only explanation I can think of.  Well other than someone took it off say for example he did a stint in rehab somewhere and they removed the band for some reason like it was too tight or something.

Good thing it wasn't the ID band that fell off!  yes

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: 30-Aug-15, 02:46:00 PM »

Good thing it wasn't the ID band that fell off!  yes

True, we'd never know then!
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: 30-Aug-15, 06:41:22 PM »

WanderingFalcon (Carol P.): MC. Adult and juvie here!

The plot thickens!!!
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: 30-Aug-15, 07:22:58 PM »

MAK, is there anywhere around there for a falcon to potentially nest do you think?  I'm looking at google maps and it looks pretty residential around there.

Edit to add:  Just saw the map and markers posted on Rfalcon FB and I see a building near there marked where Mariah was at a place called St Ann's - that building in the background looks high enough potentially.
« Last Edit: 30-Aug-15, 07:28:44 PM by carly » Logged
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: 30-Aug-15, 07:54:40 PM »

MAK, is there anywhere around there for a falcon to potentially nest do you think?  I'm looking at google maps and it looks pretty residential around there.

Edit to add:  Just saw the map and markers posted on Rfalcon FB and I see a building near there marked where Mariah was at a place called St Ann's - that building in the background looks high enough potentially.

Yes Carly, there's St. Ann's and Rochester General Hospital across the street from St. Ann's. There are also 2 high rise apartment buildings further up toward Seneca Towers but they would definitely be too close to Billie and Seth. I have been told by two different people that a falcon has been seen at the hospital.  foxbinocs
« Last Edit: 30-Aug-15, 08:49:43 PM by MAK » Logged

-John Burroughs
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: 30-Aug-15, 08:04:35 PM »

I wonder if Frankie is nesting and that juvie is hers?  Then she'd have a mate too.  Or could just be 2 migrators hanging out...trying not to get too excited but boy wouldn't that be something!  The area might remind BF of home given the towers and then being surrounded by residential homes.  Hospital or St. Ann's then...you may need to buy an extra pair of sneakers now  Wink
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: 30-Aug-15, 08:24:13 PM »

I wonder if Frankie is nesting and that juvie is hers?  Then she'd have a mate too.  Or could just be 2 migrators hanging out...trying not to get too excited but boy wouldn't that be something!  The area might remind BF of home given the towers and then being surrounded by residential homes.  Hospital or St. Ann's then...you may need to buy an extra pair of sneakers now  Wink

So many questions to be answered-all in good time my dear! lol Wink

-John Burroughs
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: 30-Aug-15, 08:28:00 PM »

I know..lol...I'm sorry.  I"m just wondering though if you guys will have time to unravel it.  Remember DC migrated when he was 2 years old and so did Skye last year at 2.  If it runs in the family then BF may migrate as well and then I"ll have to wait until next spring to know..lol Grin
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: 30-Aug-15, 08:35:19 PM »

I know..lol...I'm sorry.  I"m just wondering though if you guys will have time to unravel it.  Remember DC migrated when he was 2 years old and so did Skye last year at 2.  If it runs in the family then BF may migrate as well and then I"ll have to wait until next spring to know..lol Grin

Don't forget the downtown and ST juvies are out there somewhere too. Could be one of them hanging out with Big Frank. It's a PEFA explosion here in Rochester!!!

falcon falcon2 pfalcon

-John Burroughs
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: 30-Aug-15, 08:37:43 PM »

Don't forget the downtown and ST juvies are out there somewhere too. Could be one of them hanging out with Big Frank. It's a PEFA explosion here in Rochester!!!

falcon falcon2 pfalcon

Very true, maybe BF is screening potential mates for the future..  laugh
schlaf374
Juvie

Like Count: 58

View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: 30-Aug-15, 08:47:20 PM »

This is just conjecture on my part. We know that Seth was hatched at an undisclosed nest site northeast of Rochester. Could Big Frank be a new mate at that site?
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 129 130 [131] 132 133 134 135 ... 161   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: