THE FORUM

24-Apr-24, 08:56:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 149 150 [151] 152 153 154 155 ... 161   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canada Falcons: All but those hatched in Rochester  (Read 1017500 times)
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #2250 on: 05-Jan-18, 11:26:30 AM »

Fly free, Erin.  sorrow

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #2251 on: 05-Jan-18, 12:10:05 PM »

Elegant
Regal
Intense
Nurturing

Just a few of the words that describes you.  I was blessed to visit with you while you were earthbound.  Now your spirit flies with those that left us before you. Fly free beautiful Erin. I will miss you.

I am so sorry for her loss.

heart Sad

Peregrines know no borders.....
Lynne in New Hampshire
Tiercel

Like Count: 35

View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: 05-Jan-18, 12:48:20 PM »

Sad sorrow  So sad.  But she had a long life and left the world all her offspring to carry on!

Lynne in New Hampshire
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: 05-Jan-18, 12:59:52 PM »

Fly free, little one. You gave us so much and showed the majesty of a peregrine crying

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: 05-Jan-18, 05:26:03 PM »

She no longer feels cold or pain. The Grand Dame Erin is gone, but what a legacy she leaves.   crying

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #2255 on: 27-Jan-18, 12:39:47 PM »

This one is for you Alison as I read your history on her parents over on another forum so I think you will appreciate the heads up on this one.  

Long story short, a story about an almost 18 year old peregrine being found and injured came up on my feed this morning.  She is 'Buffy - daughter of Calypso and George (grand daughter of the legendary Zenith and Buckeye).  She has been up until now the resident female at St. Mary's Cement in Bowmanville.  Pete Read - who was involved with the London, Ontario nest site where she was born had a great story to tell of the nest that year and the sad losses - it's in the comments and I've posted the link here for you to have a look as there are photos of her there as well. Here is the original post that alerted me to Buffy:

Shades of Hope Wildlife Refuge Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/Shades-of-Hope-Wildlife-Refuge-477706698958714/?hc_ref=ARRa-zfxLcO6rJggsAjLt4xXbkR7454YYFP3XLu8k1ZeJzrW2XoaeRlofNbK-S0_r7I

A TALE OF SURVIVAL

Peregrine Falcons are fierce raptors found on all continents in the world ... except Antarctica! But, in the 1950's and 60's the species was on the verge of extinction in North America as DDT poisoned the food chain. Worldwide concern led to recovery efforts that resulted in a return of healthy populations. Still on the list of Species at Risk, these magnificent birds are monitored throughout America.

Found in a parking lot in Clarington, caring rescuers phoned for help! This bird was rushed to SOH where she is currently in care. With a band on her leg, her history was revealed. Born in London, Ontario she is 17+ years old. Her wing has been pinned, but prognosis is guarded.
« Last Edit: 27-Jan-18, 01:06:36 PM by carly » Logged
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: 27-Jan-18, 06:20:39 PM »

This one is for you Alison as I read your history on her parents over on another forum so I think you will appreciate the heads up on this one.  

Long story short, a story about an almost 18 year old peregrine being found and injured came up on my feed this morning.  She is 'Buffy - daughter of Calypso and George (grand daughter of the legendary Zenith and Buckeye).  She has been up until now the resident female at St. Mary's Cement in Bowmanville.  Pete Read - who was involved with the London, Ontario nest site where she was born had a great story to tell of the nest that year and the sad losses - it's in the comments and I've posted the link here for you to have a look as there are photos of her there as well. Here is the original post that alerted me to Buffy:

Shades of Hope Wildlife Refuge Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/Shades-of-Hope-Wildlife-Refuge-477706698958714/?hc_ref=ARRa-zfxLcO6rJggsAjLt4xXbkR7454YYFP3XLu8k1ZeJzrW2XoaeRlofNbK-S0_r7I

A TALE OF SURVIVAL

Peregrine Falcons are fierce raptors found on all continents in the world ... except Antarctica! But, in the 1950's and 60's the species was on the verge of extinction in North America as DDT poisoned the food chain. Worldwide concern led to recovery efforts that resulted in a return of healthy populations. Still on the list of Species at Risk, these magnificent birds are monitored throughout America.

Found in a parking lot in Clarington, caring rescuers phoned for help! This bird was rushed to SOH where she is currently in care. With a band on her leg, her history was revealed. Born in London, Ontario she is 17+ years old. Her wing has been pinned, but prognosis is guarded.

Thanks for posting, Carly..great story!  I hope she survives this ordeal!

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: 27-Jan-18, 06:49:49 PM »

Sending healing thoughts and prayers to Buffy. I hope she's going to be ok.  pray

Peregrines know no borders.....
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #2258 on: 24-Feb-18, 08:10:29 AM »

Went up to Yonge and Eglington for an appointment yesterday - doubt we'll see any hatchlings here this year with Haven and Malik.  Construction right behind the nest ledge....literally right behind as you can see in this stock photo I found online this morning.  It's the new LRT (light rapid transit) station.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: 24-Feb-18, 11:36:53 AM »

Does it ever stop....all this construction? I think it's busy enough!

AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #2260 on: 09-Mar-18, 01:02:36 PM »

Hamilton, Ontario

The new camera has now been installed, and Ossie has visited the nest. Pic from the site: did not see anyone at the nest yesterday, and the whole site was down early this morning.

http://falcons.hamiltonnature.org/
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: 09-Mar-18, 04:35:05 PM »

thumbsup

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: 09-Mar-18, 05:08:27 PM »

The new cam is amazing, it's like you're right there next to them.
patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: 12-Mar-18, 11:15:16 AM »

thumbsup

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: 13-Mar-18, 07:52:23 AM »

Beautiful cam pic!

Pages: 1 ... 147 148 149 150 [151] 152 153 154 155 ... 161   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: