THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 03:35:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 159 160 [161]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canada Falcons: All but those hatched in Rochester  (Read 1009435 times)
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #2400 on: 10-Jun-19, 05:15:52 PM »

And from Beachville - Billie's sister Virginia (Gleig and Diamante) and Joseph (Hamilton - MadameX and Surge)

Beachville Nest banding day June 5th 2019
June 05, 2019 - International, National and Local News
Marion Nash Reports:
2 chicks banded successfully thanks to the great folks at Beachville Quarry and Carmeuse and CPF’s volunteer Master bander Anne Yagi.

There was 2 female chicks this year, good thing since we have had more boys than girls so far in 2019.

We were able to get a lift up to the nest thanks to the Beachville guarry’s lift operators extracted the chicks without issue band the chicks and get them back to Mom and Dad. Both chicks were a very good weight and were quite healthy. CPF Volunteer Lucie Kirchknoph assisted at the banding table for the first time and was very happy to have had the opportunity to help the birds she has been watching for so long.

here is the band information for 2019.

Female named Grace 909 grams Canadian black band Z over 42 Blue tape on the silver band
Female named Rosie 959 grams Canadian black band Z over 43 Red tape on the silver band

Hope they do well and stay aloft.
« Last Edit: 10-Jun-19, 05:22:48 PM by carly » Logged
patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: 11-Jun-19, 06:42:34 PM »

And from Beachville - Billie's sister Virginia (Gleig and Diamante) and Joseph (Hamilton - MadameX and Surge)

Beachville Nest banding day June 5th 2019
June 05, 2019 - International, National and Local News
Marion Nash Reports:
2 chicks banded successfully thanks to the great folks at Beachville Quarry and Carmeuse and CPF’s volunteer Master bander Anne Yagi.

There was 2 female chicks this year, good thing since we have had more boys than girls so far in 2019.

We were able to get a lift up to the nest thanks to the Beachville guarry’s lift operators extracted the chicks without issue band the chicks and get them back to Mom and Dad. Both chicks were a very good weight and were quite healthy. CPF Volunteer Lucie Kirchknoph assisted at the banding table for the first time and was very happy to have had the opportunity to help the birds she has been watching for so long.

here is the band information for 2019.

Female named Grace 909 grams Canadian black band Z over 42 Blue tape on the silver band
Female named Rosie 959 grams Canadian black band Z over 43 Red tape on the silver band

Hope they do well and stay aloft.

And Pigott's brother.

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: 05-Feb-20, 07:45:35 PM »

Some great news posted to CPF tonight - Ashley is the daughter of Cass whose mother Hathor was Beauty's full sister  happy

From CPF Facebook:

2013 HATCH CANADIAN PEREGRINE SIGHTED IN NEW JERSEY!! IT'S ASHLEY FROM MEC!!!! I can't believe I'm even typing that but the truth is inescapable. This was a bird that gave me the grey hairs I currently sport. Her story is a long and crazy one but here we go.

At the Mississauga Executive Centre site in 2013 Sante (the resident male) and Cass (the new resident female) had successfully hatched two young females, Ashley and Catherine, and all seemed on track for a great spring for this family. Little did we know that we were in for a wild ride. Ashley was the first to "fledge". I say that very tongue in cheek as she slipped off rather than flew and after fluttering to the ground, I rescued her for the first time. 1. Remember that number. After her release to the roof of MEC One I lost sight of her for a day and after tromping around looking for her for hours, I sat down to watch the parents. Let them tell me where she is! They did. Circling high above MEC One they reminded me that there is a pit on that roof. A 20 foot deep cooling tower pit that no bird could get out of. I headed up to check it and when I peeked over the edge two little eyes were staring back at me looking rather dejected. So I rescued her again. 2. By this time her sister had taken her first flight during which she tragically and fatally collided with another tower. Ashley was now the only young left. Her next flight took a while but when she did it wasn't too bad. Except that she was too low, ran out of steam and ended up being the centerpiece in a flowerpot full of petunias at MEC Four. So I rescued her again. 3. Back up she went to the roof of the nest building to give it another go. With no sibling to compete with and her confidence a bit underwhelming, she sat and sat and sat. Until one day she disappeared. I beat the bushes, scoured the streets and turned over every rock. Exhausted I went back up to the roof and on a whim, stopped in the mechanical area at the man door to Ash's pit. When I opened it...she was mucking about in a puddle underneath the equipment and she was quite wet. So...again. 4!!!!!!! This time I released her on the roof of MEC Three and have been releasing young ones there ever since. She just couldn't seem to get it together this one!! She had all the right stuff but her choices were ridiculous. Under the circumstances we extended the Fledge Watch long beyond the norm to ensure that Ashley was well on her way. 22 DAYS LATER WE SCALED THE WATCH BACK. 22 days, 4 rescues and one silly little bird.

On the heels of all of this, we received a phone call of a deceased peregrine found across the street at the CIBC building on July 22nd. It was Cass, the resident female. That left Sante to continue to raise Ashley on his own. Ashley is the one and only offspring that Cass is ever known to have produced.

That brings us to now. 7 years later I never expected to hear of her thriving let alone see amazing pictures of her loving life at Merrill Creek Reservoir in New Jersey. I cannot thank enough the amazing photographer Derrick Tornicelli for sharing his sighting as well as his photos with us here at CPF. I also want to thank Kathy Clark, CWB Endangered & Nongame Species Program with the New Jersey DEP Division of Fish & Wildlife for seeking out her identity and allowing us to share this most excellent news. It proves without a shadow of a doubt that what we do is worth all the sweat, all the exhaustion and all the effort that volunteers put in to watching over young peregrines in urban environments. She is alive today because we cared and put her welfare at the top of the to do list for that day. I personally would like to thank Margaret, Katherine, Shannon, Winston, Bruce and Mark as well as all the amazing people at the MEC complex and the fantastic building management, staff and security. It took a village. Look at her now!!!!!

« Last Edit: 05-Feb-20, 07:51:47 PM by carly » Logged
patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: 10-Feb-20, 11:17:04 AM »

What an amazing story! I am so happy to hear that Ashley is thriving.

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: 10-Feb-20, 01:48:24 PM »

What a fantastic story! Thanks for sharing!

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: 10-Feb-20, 06:56:13 PM »

That's wonderful news Carly!  clap

Peregrines know no borders.....
Bonnie
Tiercel

Like Count: 45

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2406 on: 05-Mar-20, 11:57:47 AM »

Those Rochester and Canadian birds are finding New Jersey!!  I have to get to Merrill Creek.  It seems to be a 'go to' spot for travelers.

“No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wingsâ€
William Blake
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: 06-May-20, 09:23:18 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 157 158 159 160 [161]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: