THE FORUM

29-Mar-24, 10:32:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 ... 161   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canada Falcons: All but those hatched in Rochester  (Read 1009663 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: 26-Dec-10, 09:50:32 PM »

Downtown/Midtown Toronto Summary
December 25, 2010 - Toronto - Sheraton Centre
Harry Crawford Reports:

I developed a short summary of my involvement with the Downtown and Midtown Toronto peregrines from a volunteer’s perspective. Brief information on some of the other sites is included. The purpose for doing this was to accompany Christmas cards. Since it covers several sites, I have placed it here in the Sheraton site postings as this is where my year began.

Harry and the Peregrines – 2010 Summary

The phenomenal success of last year has repeated itself again this year. Of the available nine chicks, eight survived to the end of the watches. We also had an additional site to monitor. I worked the two downtown sites as well as Yonge and Eglinton. Because of the G20 Summit, we were issued photo id cards in case the watches overlapped the G20. Fortunately this was not the case.

The first watch was at the Sheraton Centre. Rhea Mae and Tiago had three chicks – two males, Star and Lorenzo and a female, Legacy. Star apparently likes opera. He flew into the underground parking garage, perched on a pipe and eventually flew out again. A rescue was not needed. He has a daughter this year. I attended the banding at this site. Our MPP, Glen Murray, also attended and made a nice speech. It was good to get his support. Next year, the watch here is going to be more difficult now that Jan has retired and moved to France. It was great to have her high up in her perch in First Canadian Place and in almost constant radio contact. Hurricane, born here in 2004, is the resident male at the William Osler Health Centre in Etobicoke.

The next watch was at 18 King East. Erin and her mate had two chicks – Malik a male and Zera a female. We still have not identified the adult male. Zera was trapped on a glass balcony and had to be rescued. Both chicks did well and kept their height. We have word about previous chicks. Jasmine from 2001 was severely injured and had to be put down. Ely from 2008 is raising a family in central New York State. Majesty from 2002 [one of the Toronto Five] is raising another family in Flint Michigan. She is also the last survivor from this hatch. Her parents were Ponce-Kingsley and Victoria.

Just when we thought the watches were over, Mark got a call from Toronto Animal Services that a baby peregrine had to be rescued from a glass balcony near Yonge and Eglinton. Ranger and Hunter used to be the resident falcons in this area. Clearly these were different adults. The nest is located at 2200 Yonge. An emergency watch had to be set up quickly. Frank, from the Etobicoke site, took charge. Most of the downtown team participated along with Bruce and Lyn, who lives in a nearby condo. All four chicks had to be rescued with one not making it. The survivors are two females – Cyclone and Tara, and a male – Typhoon. We took the opportunity to have the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources folks band the birds when we had them in hand. Also, Lyn kept them in her condo when necessary.

At Mt. Sinai, Wind and her partner had two clutches of four eggs. Nothing hatched. There is some suspicion that the male may Hunter from Yonge and Eglinton which was another failed nest for several years. Up there, they were on the Canadian Tire building.

In Etobicoke at the Sun Life complex, Angel and Jack had three male chicks – Blackberry, Dot-com and Mercedes. Three rescues were necessary, including Blackberry from a balcony. OMNR folks later let us know that a male peregrine chick was found dead in Guelph. It was Blackberry. Mackenzie from 2009 has a mate in Burlington.

In Ottawa, Diana and Conner laid two clutches. Unfortunately nothing hatched. Nihei from 2009 was injured and died in Quebec. Zanar from 2004 has a successful nest on the Ogdensburg bridge with four chicks.

At Yonge and Bloor, the pair from last year remain. They did disappeard for a couple of months during the summer but that was probably due to the number of building cranes in the area. No nesting attempts were observed. They tend to hang out at the CIBC building at Yonge and Bloor, the apartment tower in the Manulife Centre and the TD Waterhouse building at 77 Bloor West. There was no evidence that they were around the Four Seasons Hotel this year.

In Rochester, they have a new pair of adults – Archer and Beauty. From what I gather, they successfully raised three chicks this year. The nest box was moved to the top of the Times Square building downtown. The Kodak cameras were moved there as well. (2 chics)

The red-tailed hawks at Queen’s Park are still around and have raised a family again this year. They can now be found on the tallest of three pine trees just east of the east flag pole on the south side of the Legislature.

The turkey vultures in the Bloor and Sherborne area are still around. They are often seen in the Yonge and Bloor area being chased by peregrines. Large flocks of these birds often pass overhead. Welcome to once a week garbage pickup.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: 26-Dec-10, 09:53:19 PM »

!!! A white Red-tail from Iowa USA
December 18, 2010 - International, National and Local News
CPF Postmaster Reports:

With a big thank you to Jack Textor from Iowa, for sending us some of his shots of a white Red-tail hawk that he photographed earlier in December on one of his outings. Spotted and photographed in Des Moines, Iowa on December 18, 2010. Initially believed to be a Gyrfalcon, a closer inspection of the photos told a much different story. While not a true albino, (as his the eyes are not pink), this adult male Red-tail is never-the-less mostly all white in colour with the exceptions of a few black and brown feathers that are only visible when the bird is in flight.

What makes this bird more rarer than not, is the fact that he has survived to adulthood and so far continues to prosper. As you might imagine, being all white, living and hunting in the usual Red-tail habitats, being all white is not to your benefit, as both concealment from other larger avian and mammalian predators, and stealthy hunting would not be an easy task.

To survive to adulthood (and on wards), is quite an accomplishment. We will be interested if Jack will continue to follow this guy and send us future updates on his progress over the next months.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: 26-Dec-10, 09:55:05 PM »

Boxing Day 2010 at the Lift Bridge
December 26, 2010 - Burlington - Lift Bridge
Sue McCreadie Reports:

Bill and I stopped by the Lift Bridge to see what we could see.  When driving in the driveway we immediately saw an Adult Peregrine chasing a flock of the local pigeons.  It was quite a display, but unfortunately not a successful hunt.  She returned to the cable arm on the Bay side of  the Burlington Tower for a rest.  A short time later she took off out over the Skyway, but was unsuccessful once again.  While watching, we noticed the adult male tucked into the corner of the buffer housing.  I guess he was looking for shelter from the cold wind.  The white capped waves were rolling onto the shore from the lake and it was -6 degrees on the car thermometer.  We didn’t hang around too long, but were happy to see that both adults appear to be hanging onto the territory.  We of course were not able to identify either bird so we are assuming at this point that it is Cirrus and Sir Adam Beck.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: 28-Dec-10, 10:52:09 PM »

Cheyenne Visits CPF Office
December 27, 2010 - International, National and Local News

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2010/12/sightings/3758/Check out BigFrank and 4 month old Cheyenne. What a sweetie!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: 05-Jan-11, 06:58:07 AM »

!!! Resident adults sill on territory!
January 02, 2011 - Scarborough - Yellow Pages
CPF Volunteer Reports:

While on my way home from the Scarborough Town Centre, I decided to drive past the Consilium Towers to see if there was any raptor activity.
Driving east along Progress Ave. brought me to 200 Consilium Place, the building situated on the North West corner of Consilium Place and Progress Ave. I quickly scanned the top of the building and found a lone peregrine on the 3rd tier of the southeast corner. After waiting for about 2 minutes, a second peregrine – of larger stature, my guess would be the female – came and landed on the same ledge as the other bird.
While no breeding was present, the birds were cheeyupping with each other and, given their close proximity to one another – no more than 30ft apart – I can safely say that this is a pair of birds who know each other and obviously tolerate each other very well.
My guess is that the 2 birds were Rueben and Lawrie, and that they will be using this location as their nesting site for 2011. I’ll swing by a couple more times this week to see if any more activity is happening.
Attila Papp

!!! At least one adult still very active on territory!
December 29, 2010 - Toronto - Sheraton Centre
CPF Postmaster Reports:

A lovely peregrine falcon just finished his/her dinner on the fence between the Alliance Francaise and The National Ballet of Canada at Spadina and Lakeshore before taking off south between the buildings. Very cool. I had no idea they wintered here. Thought it might be of interest.
Joanna

!!! Etobicoke Pefa`s on territory doing some bird control!
December 23, 2010 - Etobicoke - Sun Life Centre
CPF Postmaster Reports:

Hi CPF
Etobicoke Sun Life Centre Update:

From the North side of the 3300 Bloor Street West we are currently watching one of the Falcons wreak havoc ( from the blue circle) on the local pigeon population.
Usually on Wednesday’s or Thursday we get to watch “Him” shred his kill on the corner of the building across from us (the red circle). We might get luck today a see an actually strike.
Merry Christmas!
Randy

!!! Niagara falls Pefa`s still very much in view!
December 11, 2010 - Niagara Falls
CPF Postmaster Reports:

Sorry for this is a late report. On December 11, 2010, while having breakfast at the Grand Buffet a peregrine flew past the window from the river between the Fallsview and the Skylon Tower. Not 30 seconds later another flew by on the same flight path. I believe they were two different birds due to the direction of flight that there would not have been sufficient time it to be the same bird to come back around.
Barb Wright

!!! Peregrines and Red Tails Active
January 04, 2011 - Toronto - Four Seasons
Linda Woods Reports:

Over the past few days, lots of activity seen from the local Red tailed Hawks and the peregrines. As Harry has reported the peregrines frequent the condo buildings and office towers in the area of Bay/Bloor Sts. Today a single peregrine came from  the north side of Bloor and Avenue Road and headed South towards Charles Street.  The peregrines seen to be defending this area, as the other day a single peregrine was pushing the local Red Tailed Hawk away from the Manulife Building.

Both Adults in View
January 04, 2011 - Toronto - King Street
Linda Woods Reports:

Both King Street Adults remain in the area. Today, one was sitting on the spire of St. James Cathedral. Later in the afternoon both adults were on the ledges of Dundee Place.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: 06-Jan-11, 07:07:53 PM »

!!! Some tragic news about Hal.
January 04, 2011 - Hamilton - Sheraton Hotel
CPF Postmaster Reports:

The 2010 season was a huge success with respect to very little mortality having been recorded of the young fledglings that were produced at our southern Ontario urban nest sites, we are all holding our breath at this time of year, as this is the time when we get many reports of downed and injured raptors. While most of the reports and occurrences are not peregrine related, we usually experience and get half a dozen reports of first year juvenile peregrines running into trouble in other parts of the land while on their migration.

Sadly, the most recent report (and the first that we have had for the new 2011 year), came yesterday, Jan 4th from OMNR, looking for confirmation and identity of an adult banded peregrine having been severely injured with broken wing that was picked up in the Bowenville area on Saturday January 1st - (new years day).

After checking the band numbers and the birds history, the bird was easily identified as a bird named “Hal”. Hal was produced in 2001 at the Hamilton Sheraton Hotel nest site and has been active as a territorial adult in several area’s here in southern Ontario over the years including short territorial activity at the Burlington Lift Bridge nest site and at the St. Lawrence Cement - (now called Holcim) nest site in Mississauga Ontario.

While tragic as it is to see, at ten years old, Hal has in fact lived a long life for a peregrine in the wild, and was closing on his natural life expectancy given his age. The typical average live span of a peregrine in the wild is 9 to 12 years of age, with some living to 15 years of age.

First reports of Hal’s condition although limited and preliminary, does not sound very promising at all. We hope to get further information on Hal’s situation as it becomes available.

Hal was banded at approx. 25 days old on May 28th 2001 at he Hamilton Sheraton Hotel, weighing in at 654 grams. His parents were Madam X and Percy.

UPDATE!!

!!! Hal had to be put down!
January 05, 2011 - Hamilton - Sheraton Hotel
CPF Postmaster Reports:

We have received an update this afternoon on Hal’s situation and saddened to report that his injuries and overall condition were too severe, and he was euthanized late yesterday.

So sorry, poor Hal! RIP!

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: 06-Jan-11, 11:05:48 PM »

Fly Free Hal.   Sad

Peregrines know no borders.....
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: 06-Jan-11, 11:30:56 PM »

Soar with the angels, little one Sad

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Annette
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: 07-Jan-11, 01:50:53 AM »

Poor Hal  Cry

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: 08-Jan-11, 07:51:21 PM »

Figured I'd stick this in here:

It’s not everyday students get to see an endangered species up close and personal and on Friday students at Widdifield Secondary School were fortunate enough to see a peregrine falcon firsthand.

Kyle Holloway, with the Canadian Peregrine Foundation and Oscar the peregrine falcon and Alexandra a great horned owl, were at the school to deliver an informative, interactive, and fun workshop on the endangered fowl.

The main focus of the presentation dealt with pesticides including DDT, and how the chemicals affect the population of these birds.

“The best way to make changes is to get to kids. Youth are who is going to make the change,” says Holloway.

He says that since it is harder to change the mind of adults, the foundation focused on kids in grades four to twelve.

Seeing the creatures up-close allowed the students to explore what their role is in helping to keep the bird’s habitat clean and safe and free of pesticides.

Baytoday.Ca

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: 19-Jan-11, 07:03:48 AM »

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2011/01/sightings/cirrus-snacking-at-the-liftbridge/ Some great pics of Cirrus from Burlington Lift Bridge

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2011/01/sightings/more-of-cirrus/ more here. (Ew)

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: 19-Jan-11, 11:44:49 AM »

clap Wonderful pics!  thanks2

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

Like Count: 283

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: 20-Jan-11, 06:50:28 PM »

Having been there a few times, I would have loved to see the uncropped version to know where Cirrus sat.  They are excellent photos!  Does anyone know what equipment they use? 
BIGFRANK
« Reply #343 on: 20-Jan-11, 07:07:24 PM »

Hi there. Cirrus was sitting on one of the hydro towers to the west of the bridge. If they arent on the bridge structure anywhere then the hydro towers are the place to look. They have a great view from up there.
Sue uses a Nikon D90 Sigma lens 150-500
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: 24-Jan-11, 08:03:04 AM »

!!! KINGSTON:Peregrine With Potentially Dangerous Gear
January 23, 2011 -
Frank Butson Reports:

Recently on a birding trip to Amherst Island near Kingston,Ontario, Canada Ann Brokelman a CPF volunteer,photographed a Peregrine Falcon flying past her very quickly. She got a few quick shots of the juvenile plummaged Peregrine as it flew by,which shows some kind of entanglement. The location was west of the ferry docks on Amherst Island.

People in the area should be on the watch for this bird.

Mark Nash CPF Co-VP and C0-founder writes:This is something that the bird has got caught up in, as this is not any telemetry or any typical falconry equipment.  While it could be a leash of sorts, it is NOT in any proper position that would benefit the bird at all. This is kind of tragic, if this stays on this bird, as there is a terrible,potential risk to the bird’s well being with such an attachment.  Fingers crossed that what ever it is, comes off!!

An email will be sent to the Kingston Field Naturalists and other avid birders in the Kingston area.  CPF volunteer Frank Butson will be in the field at Amherst Island next week and will keep eyes open for this bird.

not good

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 ... 161   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: