THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 08:25:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alkyonis (2004) - Search for Falcon ID at Kodak Leads To Good News  (Read 22944 times)
Yarak
Forum Bot
Bot
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 95

Keeping falcon fans connected

View Profile
« on: 02-Sep-10, 08:00:24 PM »

Truth, the saying goes, is often stranger than fiction.  Followers of the Rochester Falconcam's various forums and our Falcon Watch blog will know that there have been occasional reports of a falcon at Kodak's facility to the north of Kodak Office.  We've had some thought that this mystery falcon may have been Mariah,...

Link:
http://rfalconcam.com/imprinting/?p=1327

This is an automated post.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 02-Sep-10, 08:29:38 PM »

Truth, the saying goes, is often stranger than fiction.  Followers of the Rochester Falconcam's various forums and our Falcon Watch blog will know that there have been occasional reports of a falcon at Kodak's facility to the north of Kodak Office.  We've had some thought that this mystery falcon may have been Mariah,...

Link:
http://rfalconcam.com/imprinting/?p=1327

OK, now this is exciting! She's a beauty. Thanks for this news.

Dot_Forrester
Tiercel

Like Count: 50

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02-Sep-10, 09:41:24 PM »

newyearbd I do so love it when one of the former Rochester fledglings turns up safe and sound.  What terrific news to hear that Alkyonis is still going strong! bunny Thank goodness for falcon bands.

Dot in PA
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02-Sep-10, 10:22:46 PM »

I am speechless but not tearless at this news.  She is BEAUTIFUL and alive!!!!!!!!

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1003

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02-Sep-10, 10:28:55 PM »

Alkyonis was not the best flyer.  She went down twice and was rescued twice.  We worried about her.  But she proved us wrong.  I am so happy that Alkyonis proved us wrong.   clap

Peregrines know no borders.....
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02-Sep-10, 10:29:35 PM »

WOW!  Just...wow!  That was my first year watching...I'm speechless...wow!   Happy crying again...I can live with that!

Another juvie pic of Alkyonis (via Jim P.)

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Lord G
Juvie

Like Count: 48

Peregrine Paparazzo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 02-Sep-10, 10:35:04 PM »

The Imprints post has been updated with a couple more pictures.  Alkyonis looks amazing!  Just like her mother, I think.

Great news to know that our rescues and her rehab at Wild Wings paid off.

"Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise"
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02-Sep-10, 10:40:21 PM »

WOW!  Just...wow!  That was my first year watching...I'm speechless...wow!   Happy crying again...I can live with that!

Another juvie pic of Alkyonis (via Jim P.)

Mine too Ei, so that year was exciting for me...Been hooked ever since. I'm with Jim, Hafoc was my favorite from that year. I  heart him too. Actually, I was smitten with all but he was just so adorable.  Sad
I'm so happy Alkyonis was found and doing well. Banding does pay off.
« Last Edit: 02-Sep-10, 11:04:14 PM by Donna » Logged

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02-Sep-10, 10:43:03 PM »

Alkyonis looks amazing!  Just like her mother, I think.

Yes, but definitely Kaver around the eyes...and this picture

Reminded me of Ihteram's picture...

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1003

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02-Sep-10, 10:51:21 PM »

Alkyonis had a very rocky start on life.  She wasn't the best of fliers.  We worried about her.  Her first trouble was when she went down one of the smoke stacks at the BeeBee Station.  She was being looked over by her two brothers Hafoc and Grissom when she was rescued.  There didn't appear to be anything wrong with her, so she was released quickly.

Soon after, she was found down on Main St. and picked up by animal control.  Lisa McK and I immediately went over to check to see which of our falcons went down.  It was Alkyonis.  She looked so sad in the animal carrier they had placed her in.  I know there's a picture out there somewhere that I took.

She was rehabbed for a few weeks at Wild Wings.  The prognosis was a strained wing.  I remember Dre and Matt telling me that they would throw food over the fence to her so she wouldn't connect humans with food.

The DEC decided to release her at the Kodak Office Tower where her parents, Mariah and Kaver and her siblings, Hafoc, Grissom, Pride and Gahastey waited for her.  There were many Watchers gathered below in the visitors parking lot and surrounding the tower with radios to witness her release.  We all held our breath as Alkyonis took flight from one of the lower buildings.

Mariah flew to her and chased her.  To us it didn't look like Mariah recognized her, she was very agitated.  Alkyonis, tired, landed on one of the ledges of the Kodak Tower on the north side.  She was immediately joined first by Hafoc, and then the rest of the 2004 Fab Five, as they were called by their many fans.  They surrounded her and accepted her and Mariah settled down and finally accepted her wayward daughter.  I remained below the rest of the day keeping an eye on her.  Thankfully all worked out for the best.

The five young fledglings left the Rochester area by the end of August and we wished them well.  It was another successful Fledge Watch season.

From 2004, we know that we lost Hafoc and Gahastey and had never heard anything about Pride, Grissom or Alkyonis, until now.

I am so happy that she proved us wrong and has grown into a beautiful adult.  I actually have tears in my eyes.  I always do when we find one of our young ones doing well.

Peregrines know no borders.....
Lord G
Juvie

Like Count: 48

Peregrine Paparazzo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 02-Sep-10, 11:00:19 PM »

Another shot of Alkyonis from when we released her on June 30, 2004:

"Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise"
Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02-Sep-10, 11:13:09 PM »

That is just awesome news.  wub2
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02-Sep-10, 11:23:35 PM »

Carol, is this the pic you were talking about? Alkyonis rescue. Look at her face.  Sad

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02-Sep-10, 11:27:42 PM »

Sweet baby!  Had she hurt her talon?

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02-Sep-10, 11:29:05 PM »

Sweet baby!  Had she hurt her talon?

I noticed that too jeanne, unless she is just holding it up. ???

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: