THE FORUM

01-May-24, 09:25:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Polly 1993± - 2010  (Read 6640 times)
Tokira
Juvie

Like Count: 142

Kaetzchen Gabriella of Tokira

View Profile
« on: 13-Sep-10, 08:59:07 PM »

Polly 1993?-2010
Background:
In April 1996, a house in Northern Virginia was entered by the Sheriff's Department, Animal Care and Control, and a local Vet. Six cats were euthanized on the spot, and 102 emaciated and shell-shocked cats were taken to the county Shelter. Most were later euthanized, unfortunately.
In December 1996, after a house fire in which our two cats were asphyxiated, while picking up their ashes at the Vet's, I was introduced to #5 and #6, a bonded pair, who had been named Bart and Polly, both congenitally deaf, who had been living at the clinic. It was thought that they were probably two to three years old at that time. Shortly after their seizure/liberation, their three kittens were born. Polly became extremely ill and was unable to care for the kittens, but Bart took over their care. Polly was so ill that permission was given to euthanize her, but after a miraculous recovery with the help of a strange little old herb lady, at the eleventh hour, she survived to care for the two remaining kittens, who stayed on with the Vet.
I was fortunate to adopt Bart and Polly in April 1997.
We lost Bart in October 2008, and Polly did better than I expected she would without her other half.
However, over the past year, she had become quite “elderly”. Hard to evaluate, as she’d always been VERY quirky. Deliberately naughty, openly contemptuous of other cats, very outgoing and affectionate with all people, rude and snappish with the other cats, persistent about scratching the furniture, even the leather that “cats don’t scratch”. Probably a Tourette’s Syndrome sufferer, definitely pestered by Greeblingz. She’s had her ups and downs, sometimes not wanting to eat for a few days, other times “normal” (for her of course). About a week ago, she just didn’t want to eat anything, was sleeping more than usual, and losing weight. Bearing in mind that this was a cat who considered any type of examination or treatment to be flat out attempted murder, and dealt with accordingly, we’d made the decision to let her be comfortable and safe, at 16 plus, but no assaults unless intervention became necessary. I believe she had a small stroke last week, as she was developing ataxia. Saturday morning, she slept in the sunny spot under the window that overlooks Bart’s final resting place, and never woke up. She rests now beneath a new little Japanese Maple, next to her beloved Bart. She was preceded in death by her daughter Pipper, son Brogan, and Bart.
She was the last known survivor of that horrible situation in 1996.
Life will not be the same without my naughty little P.
 crying
Carol
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 13-Sep-10, 09:07:31 PM »

I'm very sorry for your loss Carol. She is a beautiful cat! Sad

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13-Sep-10, 09:17:56 PM »

So sorry for your loss Carol.   Sad

Peregrines know no borders.....
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13-Sep-10, 09:22:08 PM »

Sad Wow, what a wonderful (crazy) life Polly had. Carol, your so lucky to have her and she you. Bless her and you for being so caring. She's a very pretty girl.   

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13-Sep-10, 09:43:44 PM »

Carol, I have tears in my eyes as I read this precious story about Polly.I am so sorry for your loss. How lucky you were-- both of you- to have each other.  What a beauty she was.  May she and Bart be together again.  heart

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13-Sep-10, 10:24:50 PM »

She was beautiful, Carol.  I'm so sorry for your loss. Sad

Nic1Pic
Juvie

Like Count: 43

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13-Sep-10, 10:40:55 PM »

Very sorry for you. She had a good life because of you. Nicole
NoraH
Juvie

Like Count: 26

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13-Sep-10, 11:48:40 PM »

I'm so sorry Carol, she's gorgeous.  You gave them both a great life after what they went through.  Nora in IA

rssport
Fledgling

Like Count: 20

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14-Sep-10, 12:55:06 AM »

So sorry for your loss, Carol
Rita
valhalla
« Reply #9 on: 14-Sep-10, 05:25:28 AM »

Carol, you know that we feel your loss and words aren't going to cut it, but that is all we have.  I'm so sorry that Polly is no longer with you, but I rejoyce in her being reunited with her beloved Bart.   angel  Heaven is full of angels, and some of them are angels like your Bart and Polly.   angel 

God Bless,
Janet & Rich
anneintoronto
« Reply #10 on: 16-Sep-10, 09:47:02 PM »

Carol -- I'm so sorry that your Polly has died.  What an amazing life she had, thanks, in good part, to you (and of course, that strange little old herb lady!  She sounds like a story in herself!)!  To help one little, somewhat broken life become whole is a real compliment to your caring.  She sounds like she was a real character -- can't help but love the quirky nature of a cat like that!!  Thank you for making this world a more loving place, one cat at a time!  I hope you find joy in your memories!

*hugs*
Anne in Toronto
Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19-Sep-10, 11:23:29 AM »

Carol I am so sorry for your loss. Polly was gorgeous. She is once again with Bart and they will both wait for you. Take comfort in the fact you gave her a good life after her horrible start, and let her pass with dignity.
Tokira
Juvie

Like Count: 142

Kaetzchen Gabriella of Tokira

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19-Sep-10, 08:39:30 PM »

I hope you all have some idea how much your kind words have helped line the hole in my heart that Miss Polly left.
They were a single entity, Bart&Polly, and my mission when I took them on was to see that they would never again have to face an empty bowl, or the lack of a clean bed and LOVE.  They gave back so much more...
Gratefully,
Carol
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: