THE FORUM

29-Mar-24, 02:33:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sea Turtle Nest in Florida Keys  (Read 30558 times)
Caitie
Fledgling

Like Count: 19

Iamnotaddicted

View Profile
« on: 21-Aug-09, 03:31:08 PM »

http://www.fla-keys.com/turtlecam/

View a Live Turtle Webcam in the Lower Florida Keys  mbanana Let the fun begin !!

Environmental enthusiasts should be able to observe infant loggerhead sea turtles hatching and emerging from their nest, via this live streaming “turtle webcam” installed on a private beach on Big Pine Key in the Lower Florida Keys. The camera, funded by the Florida Keys Tourist Development Council, currently is focused on a nest with eggs projected to hatch sometime between Aug. 27 and Sept.3.  Afterwards, plans call for relocating the webcam to other nearby nests.

Approximate dates loggerhead turtles are
expected to hatch::
Nest 1   Failed to hatch by  Aug. 25 (Cam moved to Nest #2)
Nest 2   Nighttime hours of Aug. 27  (Hatched)
Nest 3   Nighttime hours Sept. 1 THEY HATCHED AND I SAW IT 8:52P WOW WOW! It was truly amazing but so fast! From the first little guy all of a sudden they all are out and running. I captured it all on a quicktime movie but I don't know how to post it  no  but heres a few of my capture pictures. And their was a hammie who was the last, did a backflip, and struggled but made it. sooo cute!   clap

dogwag
« Last Edit: 01-Sep-09, 10:10:19 PM by Caitie » Logged
valhalla
« Reply #1 on: 21-Aug-09, 04:29:03 PM »

Rich loves turtles, so maybe we'll get lucky and catch one of the nests hatching! 
Caitie
Fledgling

Like Count: 19

Iamnotaddicted

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21-Aug-09, 08:32:38 PM »

Rich loves turtles, so maybe we'll get lucky and catch one of the nests hatching! 
Its pretty addictive. I saw a deer go by before the sun set. I just hope I can tell between a large crab and a sea turtle in size. Im guessing the turtle will be bigger.Good luck ! I hope one of us sees something 2thumbsup
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21-Aug-09, 08:34:46 PM »

Its pretty addictive. I saw a deer go by before the sun set. I just hope I can tell between a large crab and a sea turtle in size. Im guessing the turtle will be bigger.Good luck ! I hope one of us sees something 2thumbsup

I saw the deer also and the crab that I thought was a turtle....lol

valhalla
« Reply #4 on: 22-Aug-09, 06:59:41 AM »

Donna - the last thing you need is another addictive website  laugh  I can see it now, movies of the crabs  spider  Love it! heart
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22-Aug-09, 07:18:12 AM »

Donna - the last thing you need is another addictive website  laugh  I can see it now, movies of the crabs  spider  Love it! heart

Yes, I have it open..watched tv it all last night and NOW. It's not everyday you see a baby sea turtle and I'll probably miss this one.  silly

Donna
« Last Edit: 22-Aug-09, 08:43:07 AM by Shaky » Logged

valhalla
« Reply #6 on: 22-Aug-09, 11:48:46 AM »

Bet you find the only Hermit Crab in the area changing it's home!   harhar  In fact, I can't wait to see what you see  happy  clap
Judi
Juvie

Like Count: 43

African Fish Eagle

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23-Aug-09, 12:34:35 AM »

Just remember that the crab walks sideways and has many legs (think big  spider with a shell) and the turtle skooches and only has 4 legs...(just trying to be helpful here!)   Cheesy

Life's a dance, you learn as you go...sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow...
valhalla
« Reply #8 on: 23-Aug-09, 06:06:11 AM »

Just remember that the crab walks sideways and has many legs (think big  spider with a shell)

laugh  Sounds like me on a damp day!   clap eyecat (love the EyeCat)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23-Aug-09, 08:09:47 AM »

Just remember that the crab walks sideways and has many legs (think big  spider with a shell) and the turtle skooches and only has 4 legs...(just trying to be helpful here!)   Cheesy

Judi, when I saw the crab spider (with shell) that I thought was a turtle, it was a very blurry shot. All I saw was movement. After a few seconds, I realized, it was NOT a turtle. Actually, it moved to fast and it was only 1. Thanks

Donna

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23-Aug-09, 10:11:36 AM »

This guy was raking the seaweed into a pile. Wouldn't that make it harder for the hatchlings to reach the water?  ???

Donna

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23-Aug-09, 10:48:30 AM »

Now they are flattening the seaweed. Guess it's better than picking it up!

valhalla
« Reply #12 on: 23-Aug-09, 11:50:59 AM »

I thought people, animals, and things were supposed to stay away from the nests.   ???
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23-Aug-09, 12:12:31 PM »

I thought people, animals, and things were supposed to stay away from the nests.   ???

Yeah well... Sad stupid I saw a pretty big lizard go by yesterday and I thought he was going to dig up the eggs. Shocked scared blue Guess they can't keep everything away frog

Donna

valhalla
« Reply #14 on: 23-Aug-09, 12:56:41 PM »

I meant animals like dogs.   happy
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: