THE FORUM

01-May-24, 04:20:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A New Logo  (Read 52601 times)
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« on: 23-Nov-10, 09:08:19 AM »

After many years of faithful service, we decided it was time to retire our Kartoon Kaver in the Egg logo.

Of course, this meant we would need a new one. The problem was how would we acquire it. We thought about making it ourselves or asking for volunteers to contribute their ideas, but we soon realized that could lead to situations where feelings got hurt or worse.

Another alternative was to hire a professional designer to create a logo, but that was a bit beyond our budget.

Then one day, I was shootin' at some food-- I mean I was flying to San Juan and read an article in the in-flight magazine about the concept of crowdsourcing, which wikipedia describes as "the act of outsourcing tasks, traditionally performed by an employee or contractor, to an undefined, large group of people or community (a crowd), through an open call." I researched a few crowdsourcing websites and then made a proposal to the Rfalconcam "powers that be" to pursue this method to come up with a new logo. The proposal was accepted, and we created a logo project on crowdspring.com.

Here is a short video on how it works: http://www.youtube.com/v/X5EbsRrxrBI

For our logo project, we have entered a rough description of what we are looking for and have offered a $300 reward to the artist who designs the logo we like the best. So far we have received about 40 designs and more are coming in every day. We have offered feedback to help the artists make modifications to improve their designs, and we would like to include feedback from the Rfalconcam community.

Here are the logos we've received. The list is constantly growing so check back often.
http://www.crowdspring.com/project/2290056_rfalconcam-logo/

What does everyone think? Please note that we are under no obligation to buy one of these logos. If we don't like any of them, we can walk away and only pay the small listing fee.
« Last Edit: 23-Nov-10, 06:24:10 PM by Shaky » Logged
Lord G
Juvie

Like Count: 48

Peregrine Paparazzo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: 23-Nov-10, 09:41:53 AM »

Lots of interesting and creative designs represented.  Unfortunately none of them seem to have adhered to criteria items 1 or 3 (other than to list the name "Rochester" on a couple of them).  In particular, other than emphasizing "cam" in the name, I don't see any of the logos that say to me "that's a webcam site in Rochester, NY".

"Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise"
Tokira
Juvie

Like Count: 142

Kaetzchen Gabriella of Tokira

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23-Nov-10, 09:49:27 AM »

After many years of faithful service, we decided it was time to retire our Kartoon Kaver in the Egg logo.

<snip>
What does everyone think? Please note that we are under no obligation to buy one of these logos. If we don't like any of them, we can walk away and only pay the small listing fee.

What a grand idea  happy
I've always thought the "kute" logo seemed trivializing to the whole K-and Rfalconcam experience.  It will be very interesting to see what people come up with as a successor thumbsup
Carol
WV
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23-Nov-10, 09:51:59 AM »

OK...I'll say it...I like Kaver in the egg.  Not saying it can't be changed...or shouldn't be changed...or whatever.  Just saying I'm partial to it personally.

Interesting idea...for some reason I'm being drawn to #36 with some modification-the beak feels a bit parrot-ish...

Ei

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23-Nov-10, 10:02:45 AM »

There are many that do like the current logo, but the majority of us felt a change was needed.  Something more dynamic.    

OK...I'll say it...I like Kaver in the egg.  Not saying it can't be changed...or shouldn't be changed...or whatever.  Just saying I'm partial to it personally.

Interesting idea...for some reason I'm being drawn to #36 with some modification-the beak feels a bit parrot-ish...

Ei

Peregrines know no borders.....
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23-Nov-10, 10:11:21 AM »

Just as long as it has a home somewhere as our "Legacy" logo, I'm OK with change.   Wink

There are many that do like the current logo, but the majority of us felt a change was needed.  Something more dynamic.    

Ei
« Last Edit: 23-Nov-10, 10:36:19 AM by Carol P. » Logged

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

Like Count: 283

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23-Nov-10, 10:29:19 AM »

Lots of interesting and creative designs represented.  Unfortunately none of them seem to have adhered to criteria items 1 or 3 (other than to list the name "Rochester" on a couple of them).  In particular, other than emphasizing "cam" in the name, I don't see any of the logos that say to me "that's a webcam site in Rochester, NY".

Here is the criteria that Jim is referring to:
http://www.crowdspring.com/project/2290056_rfalconcam-logo/details/

1. World Class Live Action (Webcams)
2. Peregrine Falcon
3. Rochester, New York
4. Fast/Sleek

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23-Nov-10, 10:36:43 AM »

Of course!!!  thumbsup

Just as long as it has a home somewhere as our "Legacy" logo, I'm OK with change.   Wink

There are many that do like the current logo, but the majority of us felt a change was needed.  Something more dynamic.    

Ei

Peregrines know no borders.....
Dot_Forrester
Tiercel

Like Count: 50

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23-Nov-10, 11:03:12 AM »

This is fun!  Hope more come in. So far I like #40 (best) and #6, both in black. They're sleek and give an impression of swiftness and power. I don't quite see why it's necessary to have the new logo say "Rochester". I liked Kaver in the egg but always thought it was a little too cute, given the predatory nature of a peregrine falcon. 

Dot in P
valhalla
« Reply #9 on: 23-Nov-10, 11:20:12 AM »

ditto Nice, but not grabbing me, which is a priority for flight today  devil

The above said, keeping the website fresh is important in terms of interest and donations.  Maybe a fresh theme? 
Dot_Forrester
Tiercel

Like Count: 50

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23-Nov-10, 11:26:49 AM »

I sure hope rfalconcam members can also submit ideas for a new logo without being a member of this logo-creating site. We have many highly creative artistic people in this group (definitely not me  laugh ) who have a much better idea of the look and spirit of a peregrine falcon.

Dot in PA
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23-Nov-10, 11:58:13 AM »

I sure hope rfalconcam members can also submit ideas for a new logo without being a member of this logo-creating site. We have many highly creative artistic people in this group (definitely not me  laugh ) who have a much better idea of the look and spirit of a peregrine falcon.

Dot in PA

You know what immediately came to mind when I read this?  The Quest T-shirt pic.  I'm thinking a stylized version of it might make an outstanding logo...

Lord G
Juvie

Like Count: 48

Peregrine Paparazzo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 23-Nov-10, 12:17:08 PM »

Anyone can sign up at crowdSpring as a designer.

40/41, 38, 32, 28, 19, 17, 6 & 5 are my favorites right now.  41, 32, 28, 6 & 5 got the falcon right & they look the most dynamic, so they're in my top tier.  38 has a nice design, a bit different from the others.  28 is very dynamic and, dare I say, patriotic in its color scheme. Something about 6 really grabs me... I'm not sure the green fade scheme would work well on merchandise, but the simplicity of the design is eye-catching.

I too liked our Kaver in the egg design, and it will certainly be retired with all the respect and gratitude due to it.  It was designed for us by one of the many unsung members of the Kodak Birdcam team at Kodak.com.  I think she did a heck of a job, putting in a lot of hours and submitting several revisions on a purely volunteer basis.

"Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise"
Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23-Nov-10, 12:21:46 PM »

You know what immediately came to mind when I read this?  The Quest T-shirt pic.  I'm thinking a stylized version of it might make an outstanding logo...

I was thinking exactly the same thing!  Using a globe with a peregrine figure with the appropriate wording to meet the 4 criteria.  

I understand the need to upgrade, but how important is fast and sleek?  Sounds like what the NFL did, and some of my favorites team logos are still the established ones.  Many of the new falcon designs remind me of the Atlanta Falcons logo, because of the black and red.  Will using black and red with a sleek falcon design infringe on the Atlanta Falcons trade dress?

I like the simplicity of #36 and would ask the artist to modify to include the other ctiteria.  I also like the trailing lines to imply speed.

Joyce
Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23-Nov-10, 12:34:48 PM »

Anyone can sign up at crowdSpring as a designer.

Yes, but not everyone has the software to put ideas into motion.  Is there anything free on the internet that we can use?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: