THE FORUM

20-Sep-24, 02:32:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Peregrine Falcons Inspire New Thermal Soaring Strategy for UAVs  (Read 1738 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« on: 06-Dec-10, 09:03:26 PM »

http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/arxiv/26103/

Unmanned Aerial vehicles could fly for longer using less power if they copied the counter-intuitive flying patterns of peregrine falcons, say researchers

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 315

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 06-Dec-10, 09:25:42 PM »

Unmanned Aerial vehicles could fly for longer using less power if they copied the counter-intuitive flying patterns of peregrine falcons, say researchers

This is fascinating research. Honest-I'm serious.  But there is a part of me that wants to ask-And why are you surprised that birds have this figured out?  silly

Ei

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
anneintoronto
« Reply #2 on: 06-Dec-10, 11:18:44 PM »

This is fascinating research. Honest-I'm serious.  But there is a part of me that wants to ask-And why are you surprised that birds have this figured out?  silly

Ei

I question whether they are surprised, so much as dumbfounded at what the peregrine can do with thermals -- as well as plenty of other birds -- things that come naturally, instinctively to the birds, but that man has been so long in recognizing, in fact, not only not seeing, but fighting or at best, using to half measure!  Let's face it, Nature takes advantage of all natural occurrences, because that's what it is -- pure, instinctual, straightforward Nature, where humans, constantly fighting that we are also just a part of Nature, always seem to miss the obvious and spend valuable time trying to always overcome situations, just because they are there...  And the scientists must also be frustrated, as the 3D imagery of the thermals is offering more clues, ones that they hadn't seen before...and yet make absolute sense...  Kind of a "rap yourself in the side of the head" time...  What I don't get is why humans always seem to approach things negatively -- something to beat, something to control, something to kill off, something to harness...  What's with this destructive under current that flows through every we do?  Perhaps, if we just sat down and thought, instead of constantly devising, we might get there faster...or realize that some things man was never meant to do...  Or, consider what that effect will have on the rest of Nature, when we do win...but so often the earth loses, because we are constantly trying to change what is, into what we, the all important human race, want it to be...

Does that make sense...?  Perhaps not, but what does our race do to create change that makes any sense...
On that pessimistic note, as one of the human race, I will now don warm clothes, to attempt to change one street corner into perhaps a little happier place, instead of remaining constantly, day in and day out, exactly the same...  But...what will this change do... Oh, never mind!  shiver

Anne in Toronto
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: