THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 08:54:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 21   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Atlanta Zoo Pandas  (Read 151570 times)
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 18-Oct-10, 07:57:24 PM »

Thanks for posting this, Kris.  I haven't been able to keep up like I usually do.

I check the site almost every day and have been watching closely since her insemination mid-June.  They're doing ultrasounds two times/week but so far the only "maybe" indicator is that Lun's lethargic and sleeping more than norm.  Fingers crossed that there'll be a new little one to watch this year.  It was so much fun watching Xi Lan after he was born!  panda

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20-Oct-10, 02:44:08 PM »

Giant Panda Birth Watch 2010
10-14-10

24-hour monitoring of Lun Lun begins Monday

One of Atlanta’s best-known celebrity moms may be carrying cub number three. Recent data suggest that giant panda Lun Lun has entered the secondary rise in the telltale hormonal fluctuations that indicate she is nearing the end of a pregnancy or pseudopregnancy. Based on this information, the Zoo Atlanta Animal Management and Veterinary Team plans to begin round-the-clock birth watch on Monday, October 18.

In addition to hormonal changes, Lun Lun experienced a dramatic shift in behavior – most notably extreme lethargy and reduced appetite – this week. These behavioral changes occur in pregnant and pseudopregnant giant pandas. The animal care and veterinary teams are monitoring the 13-year-old bear closely and conducting regular ultrasounds. Giant panda gestation averages 135 days, but can range from 83-197 days.

Confirming pregnancy in giant pandas is a famously inexact science, as the species experiences delayed implantation and can also exhibit pseudopregnancy, a condition closely mimicking pregnancy without the presence of a fetus. A new test for pregnancy detection in giant pandas has been developed which seems promising. While early results indicated that Lun Lun was pregnant, more recent results are less certain. Because the assay is new and has only been used on a few giant pandas, it is not considered 100 percent reliable. Therefore, Zoo Atlanta staff is preparing for a birth in the same way as in previous years. Birth watch will continue on October 18 and will continue through November 14.

The animal care team opted to employ artificial insemination (AI) on June 13, 2010, after Lun Lun and 13-year-old Yang Yang failed to mate during her brief window of fertility. The pair has two previous offspring, female Mei Lan, age 4 and a resident of Chengdu, China, and male Xi Lan, 2, a resident of Zoo Atlanta. Both Mei Lan and Xi Lan were the only giant panda cubs born in the U.S. in 2006 and 2008, and both were the products of AI.

Additional updates will be provided as details are available.

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21-Oct-10, 07:32:23 PM »

Wednesday, October 20
24-hour birth watch is in full swing. Just as in past years, we’ve provided Lun Lun with a quiet zone, and have closed down the back road behind the panda building. Now we only allow small carts to pass by, because Lun Lun doesn’t seem bothered by them. We have also adjusted the temperature in the panda building from the normal 65 degrees to 78 degrees. Just as Cate mentioned in her last update, Lun Lun is sleeping most of the day and her food intake has dropped. She is no longer eating her normal 20-30 pounds of bamboo per day, but closer to 5-10 pounds. She is also eating less of her biscuits and fruit, but in her normal panda fashion, has not given up on sugarcane (a panda favorite). Now, we just continue to watch and wait.
Kate Roca
Carnivore Keeper III

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21-Oct-10, 07:38:00 PM »

It's amazing how their big bodies change for that teeny tiny baby. Shouldn't be long now. Thanks!

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22-Oct-10, 08:09:59 PM »

Giant Panda Lun Lun Confirmed to be Pregnant!!
10-22-10

Fetus seen on ultrasound

Zoo Atlanta’s Veterinary Team has observed a viable fetus during routine ultrasound procedures on female giant panda Lun Lun. Ultrasound images obtained since Monday the 18th confirm a growing fetus with a strong heartbeat. Based on the size of the fetus, which is currently 2.24 centimeters long, the Animal Management and Veterinary Teams estimate that a birth should occur in 10 days to 2 weeks. While cautiously optimistic, experts caution that Lun Lun could still miscarry or reabsorb the fetus as her pregnancy progresses.

Round-the-clock birth watch began on Monday, October 18 and will continue through birth and the first months of the cub’s life. Giant panda gestation averages 135 days, but can range from 83 to 197 days.

A cub would be the third offspring for Lun Lun and Yang Yang, both 13. The Animal Management and Veterinary Teams opted to employ artificial insemination (AI) on June 13, 2010, after the pair failed to mate naturally. Lun Lun’s and Yang Yang’s previous offspring, Mei Lan, 4 and now a resident of Chengdu, China, and Xi Lan, 2, a resident of Zoo Atlanta, were the only cubs born in the U.S. in 2006 and 2008. Both were the products of AI.

Additional updates will be provided as details are available. The Zoo’s giant pandas are watched daily by fans around the world on PandaCam presented by Earthcam. PandaCam, which runs Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., has remained the most visited page on zooatlanta.org since shortly after the arrival of Lun Lun and Yang Yang in 1999.

clap panda

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22-Oct-10, 08:24:52 PM »

good news panda penguin dance1

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 26-Oct-10, 03:44:44 PM »

Monday, October 25
Zoo Atlanta was rather busy this weekend with Boo at the Zoo and many of Lun Lun’s fans stopping by to see how she has been doing. Lun Lun is off exhibit, but we are showing her on PandaCam during the regular 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. hours on the weekdays. You will most likely catch her sleeping in the corner of her den or, if you’re lucky, building a nest with hay and bamboo in her nest box for her bundle-to- be. While cleaning and raking out the habitats throughout the day for our Y chromosome pandas, we are always vigilant about keeping things quiet for Lun Lun. This applies throughout the entire building as well.

I can’t forget about Xi Lan and Yang Yang! This weekend for Boo at the Zoo, the boys got pumpkins to play with. I put Xi Lan’s pumpkin on the top of his climbing structure yesterday in Habitat 1. It was so cute seeing him stand up on his bear tippy toes and sniff the odd orange ball. Then he just knocked it over and it landed on the ground. Splat!! That was about the extent of his pumpkin fun. Be sure to come out next weekend to see our bears enjoy another round of pumpkins. This time the pumpkins will be cut open, so that the pandas can snack on them, if they so choose. See you then!
Cate Harris
Seasonal Keeper

http://www.zooatlanta.org/1212/panda_cam

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 27-Oct-10, 06:30:27 PM »

Wednesday, October 27
We have been extremely fortunate to have Lun Lun continue to cooperate with ultrasound sessions. The fetus is growing rapidly and has a strong heartbeat. This morning the fetus measured 6.99 cm in length. Lun Lun is still spending most of her time sleeping, which is completely normal.

For Yang Yang and Xi Lan, life continues as normal. They have likely noticed a few changes in the building, like keepers being there all the time, but we try to keep the routine the same for them. I don’t think they have any idea that an exciting new arrival is expected soon.
Rebecca Snyder, PhD
Curator of Mammals

AWWW!

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 27-Oct-10, 06:34:07 PM »

Another ultrasound picture from their Facebook page

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 27-Oct-10, 09:15:30 PM »

I can't believe how much it's grown in just 5 days!!! It's getting exciting now-sure hope all goes well with her pregnancy.

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 29-Oct-10, 04:17:13 PM »

Friday, October 29
I’m sleeping with my phone next to the bed. We are expecting Lun Lun to go into labor anytime now. The latest hormone results show that her progesterone is declining and nearing baseline. We expect a birth when progesterone is near or at baseline levels. She is still cooperating well with ultrasound sessions. Yesterday, the fetus measured 7.9 cm in length. The heartbeat is strong and regular and the tiny toes are now visible. Lun Lun is still spending most of her time sleeping, but she has also been getting up mostly at night to eat bamboo. This year she’s been doing more nest building than in previous years. She has been shredding bamboo to add to the hay we provide in her nest box. We are eagerly awaiting this cub, as I’m sure all of you are too. Keep checking the website, because I expect there will be an announcement in the next few days. I hope it’s that Lun Lun has a healthy cub and all is well.
Rebecca Snyder, PhD
Curator of Mammals

Pretty soon!!   panda

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 02-Nov-10, 04:08:03 PM »

With a bit less than an hour of cam time left today, I think Lun Lun may be in labor...very restless...

http://www.zooatlanta.org/1212/panda_cam

carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 03-Nov-10, 06:13:14 AM »

Labor begins for giant panda Lun Lun
.by Zoo Atlanta on Wednesday, November 3, 2010 at 4:01am.

The only cub born in the U.S. in 2010 is on its way       

Zoo Atlanta officials have announced that labor has begun for expectant giant panda mother Lun Lun. The 13-year-old female has been under round-the-clock monitoring since birth watch began on October 18, 2010.

The actual time the cub will arrive remains uncertain. Giant panda labor typically lasts seven to eight hours but can be as brief as one to two hours or, on the opposite end of the spectrum, much longer. Lun Lun’s labor with her first offspring, Mei Lan, lasted 36 hours and is still the longest giant panda labor ever recorded. By comparison, Lun Lun’s second cub, Xi Lan, arrived in just under nine hours.

The cub will be the only giant panda born in the U.S. in 2010 and is the third for Lun Lun and 13-year-old male Yang Yang. Additional updates will be provided as details are available.

The Zoo’s giant pandas are watched daily by fans around the world on PandaCam presented by Earthcam. PandaCam streams Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Fans are encouraged to stay abreast of all things panda by following Zoo Atlanta on our website and on Twitter, joining the Zoo Atlanta Facebook community, and registering for biweekly eUpdate newsletters.

carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 03-Nov-10, 06:25:00 AM »

Giant panda born at Zoo Atlanta
by Zoo Atlanta on Wednesday, November 3, 2010 at 10:15am

Lun Lun delivers the only cub born in the U.S. in 2010

Lun Lun, a 13-year-old female giant panda at Zoo Atlanta, gave birth to her third cub on November 3, 2010. The cub, born at 5:39 a.m. in a specially-prepared birthing den in the Zoo’s giant panda building, is the only giant panda to be born in the U.S. in 2010.

Lun Lun appears to be providing appropriate care for her cub, which is roughly the size of a cell phone. The Animal Management and Veterinary Teams will continue round-the-clock monitoring of mother and cub, and a preliminary veterinary checkup will be performed as soon as staff is able to remove the cub without disrupting maternal care.

“We are extremely excited about welcoming Lun Lun’s and Yang Yang’s third cub, and proud of the success of Zoo Atlanta’s giant panda program,” said Dwight Lawson, PhD, Deputy Director. “This is a joy we share with the City of Atlanta, our colleagues in China, and our counterparts at our fellow zoological organizations housing giant pandas in the U.S.”

Zoo Atlanta Members and guests can expect to meet the cub in spring 2011. The cub’s father, 13-year-old Yang Yang, and older brother, Xi Lan, remain on exhibit and will not be introduced to their new family member. This separation is normal for giant pandas, which are solitary in the wild.

The newborn is the third offspring for the Zoo’s famous panda pair. Born September 6, 2006, their firstborn, Mei Lan, has lived at the Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding since February 2010. Born August 30, 2008, the pair’s second cub, 2-year-old male Xi Lan, remains one of the Zoo’s most popular and precocious animal stars. As is the case with Lun Lun’s tiny newest arrival, both Mei Lan and Xi Lan were the only giant pandas born in the U.S. in their respective birth years. All three births have been the products of artificial insemination.

The birth is a significant achievement for global efforts to save a critically endangered species. Fewer than 1,600 giant pandas are estimated to remain in the wild. There are approximately 280 individuals living in zoological institutions, only 11 of which reside in the U.S.

In the months leading up to the cub’s debut, images will be available on monitors at the Zoo’s Arthur M. Blank Family Foundation Giant Panda Conservation Center and on PandaCam presented by EarthCam. PandaCam streams daily, Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Fans are encouraged to stay abreast of all things panda by following Zoo Atlanta on our website and on Twitter, joining the Zoo Atlanta Facebook community, and registering for biweekly eUpdate newsletters.
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 03-Nov-10, 06:42:30 AM »

panda the_wave panda yahoo panda thanks2 panda

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 21   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: