THE FORUM

27-Apr-24, 01:27:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it a falcon?  (Read 12742 times)
Jryan
Big Clutch

Like Count: 3

View Profile
« on: 06-Sep-09, 02:19:58 PM »

I took pictures of what I think could be a falcon Long Pond Rd. between the Ontario Parkway and Edgemere Drive the other day. We tried to see if it had a band, but couldn't. Is it a falcon? My family thinks it might be a hawk. It was quite large.
Could someone help me post the pictures? I tried to attach them, but it didn't work. I have them in my Kodak Easy Share on my computer.
Thanks in advance,
Judy
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 06-Sep-09, 02:23:40 PM »

I took pictures of what I think could be a falcon Long Pond Rd. between the Ontario Parkway and Edgemere Drive the other day. We tried to see if it had a band, but couldn't. Is it a falcon? My family thinks it might be a hawk. It was quite large.
Could someone help me post the pictures? I tried to attach them, but it didn't work. I have them in my Kodak Easy Share on my computer.
Thanks in advance,
Judy

Did you try clicking addition options under your post, then browse button and look for your easy share folder? Should work. If not let us know and we'll get them up for you.

Jryan
Big Clutch

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06-Sep-09, 02:25:58 PM »

I will try again. I moved 2 pictures to my desktop...
Jryan
Big Clutch

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06-Sep-09, 02:27:25 PM »

Hoping this worked!
Jryan
Big Clutch

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06-Sep-09, 02:28:55 PM »

Yay! Here's another. I have a few more. Can I send multiples?

Judy
Aafke
Falcon

Like Count: 715

Kingfisher

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06-Sep-09, 02:30:40 PM »

I don't think it is a falcon!  educated
greetings Aafke

Feed the birds!!!!
Aafke
Falcon

Kingfisher

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06-Sep-09, 02:32:25 PM »

yes you can send more pictures in one post.
 falcon2 greetings Aafke

Feed the birds!!!!
Jryan
Big Clutch

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06-Sep-09, 02:32:50 PM »

I wonder what it can be?
Thanks,
Judy
Aafke
Falcon

Kingfisher

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06-Sep-09, 02:51:35 PM »

I think it's a hawk but don't know what kind.
The pictures are very nice,
You are very lucky to see such beautiful bird.

maybe a red-tailed hawk?
greetings Aafke

Feed the birds!!!!
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06-Sep-09, 03:02:36 PM »

I wonder what it can be?
Thanks,
Judy

Hi Judy-

A juvie Red Tail Hawk for sure!  Compare to this one...

This is a photo of the surviving juvie Red Tail hatched in Riverside Park NYC taken by Lincoln Karim and posted on his Pale Male website

Note the pale chest, dark belly band and light eyes-the eyes darken as the bird matures.

Nice pictures of a beautiful bird!

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Jryan
Big Clutch

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06-Sep-09, 04:06:11 PM »

Thanks! He sure was big. My hubby estimates that it was at least 20 to 22 inches sitting on that pole. He did swooped down into a lot near us and got some lunch. My daughter tried to get a good picture of it eating but it came out quite blurry... Sad
Great to know what it is though. We see them flying but never saw one so close.
Judy
Jryan
Big Clutch

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06-Sep-09, 04:08:11 PM »

Here's the last one. Sorry I tried to put 2 on together, but it didn't work. The last picture is lunch.
Judy
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06-Sep-09, 04:54:02 PM »

A couple of other clues...if it's sitting on a pole, it's likely a red tail-it's their favorite hunting perch.  Hunting on the edge of a grassy field and a road and/or the edge between a mowed and unmowed section of grass just like your picture, it's likely a redtail.  They watch for movement in the taller grass waiting for the mouse or vole or whatever to come out into the open and pounce.  Some days it seems about every other pole along the road on my way to work has a red tail on it...makes driving tough sometimes  happy

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Judi
Juvie

Like Count: 43

African Fish Eagle

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06-Sep-09, 05:22:56 PM »

A couple of other clues...if it's sitting on a pole, it's likely a red tail-it's their favorite hunting perch.  Hunting on the edge of a grassy field and a road and/or the edge between a mowed and unmowed section of grass just like your picture, it's likely a redtail.  They watch for movement in the taller grass waiting for the mouse or vole or whatever to come out into the open and pounce.  Some days it seems about every other pole along the road on my way to work has a red tail on it...makes driving tough sometimes  happy

And two more clues to identifying a red tail - that creamy white chest and streaky belly band is their trademark marking, plus if you see them in the air but can't see the red tail (from sun reflection) look at the under part of the wing - it has what looks like a comma at approx. mid-point on their wings.

Our western birds are a bit darker than the eastern RTH's so it's a bit more difficult to ID the belly band but the commas (patagial markings) are a dead give-away!

Judi

P. S.  Congrats on your first post, Judy!   clap

Life's a dance, you learn as you go...sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow...
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06-Sep-09, 05:42:35 PM »

Judi-who was it who described a red tail as looking like a white football from the front when it perches on a pole?  Was it Siobhan?  Anyway, she's where I learned about the patagial markings...

Judy-as Judi said, the wing markings in flight are a dead giveaway.  In this picture (also by Lincoln at Pale Male)  the dark area on the leading edge of the wing from (as I think of it to remember it) the "shoulder" to the "elbow" is the comma shaped patagial mark

Also interesting to note are the 2 sets of shorter primary wing feathers...they're growing in after the annual molt...they lose them in symmetrical pairs in a defined order...the ones near mid wing are further along than the ones toward the tips.  I'm pretty sure this is Lola-her belly band is much darker than Pale Male.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: