THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 09:41:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beauty & A Friend(?) Visit Times Square  (Read 3844 times)
Yarak
Forum Bot
Bot
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 95

Keeping falcon fans connected

View Profile
« on: 30-Dec-10, 03:30:26 PM »

Beauty stopped by the nest box at the Times Square building today, and she didn't come alone.  As you can see from the picture above, she was accompanied by a male falcon as well.  The pair stayed for the better part of an hour before finally flying away.
Needless to say we were all...

Link:
http://rfalconcam.com/imprinting/?p=1421

This is an automated post.
Braveheart2665
Juvie

Like Count: 18

Freyja Always in my Heart

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 30-Dec-10, 08:02:38 PM »

I've seen all the photo's from today so I have to ask - is this a normal thing for Beauty to check out another male & would there be a battle for her if Archer came back & found another male hanging around. She is a sight to behold for sure - loved seeing her at the nest box.

Follow me at Thebraveheartfiles.blogspot.com
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30-Dec-10, 08:20:23 PM »

I've seen all the photo's from today so I have to ask - is this a normal thing for Beauty to check out another male & would there be a battle for her if Archer came back & found another male hanging around. She is a sight to behold for sure - loved seeing her at the nest box.

Generally speaking, during to non-mating season when reproductive hormones are not raging, birds are more likely to just companionably hang out together.  We've often seen visitors that hang around for a good part of the winter.   My take on today's episode is the tiercel is a migrant bird from further north. He saw prime PeFa real estate and he was more-so checking out Beauty than she checking him out.  She didn't seem to me to be defensive at all until he stepped foot in HER nest box.  Now we're talking territory even without hormones.  She was quick to chase him off then (video soon).

It's most likely he'll go back where he came from when the spring migration starts.  If Archer returns before that he'll chase off any intruders.  But any floating unmated tiercels will keep an eye out for prime nesting spots in case Archer doesn't return.  

Ei
« Last Edit: 30-Dec-10, 08:59:23 PM by Dumpsterkitty » Logged

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Braveheart2665
Juvie

Like Count: 18

Freyja Always in my Heart

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30-Dec-10, 08:49:39 PM »

Thank you Ei - you are always so helpful to me. I love learning new things about falcon behavior as it is always so fascinating.  2thumbsup I just  heart these amazing birds

Follow me at Thebraveheartfiles.blogspot.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: