THE FORUM

27-Apr-24, 08:05:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Green Bush Cricket  (Read 10793 times)
Aafke
Falcon

Like Count: 715

Kingfisher

View Profile
« on: 10-Sep-09, 04:08:06 PM »

My neighbor yelled, come quickly and take your camera with you.
In a few seconds I was in her garden looking at a real BIG cricket.
Later I looked for it and I think it's a Great Green Bush Cricket (Tettigonia viridissima) in Dutch  Grote groene sabelsprinkhaan. I read that it is very common, how is it possible that I never saw it before?
Here are some pictures, it's hard to see how big he was but he was big!!!
 hatch1 greetings Aafke

Feed the birds!!!!
valhalla
« Reply #1 on: 10-Sep-09, 04:57:51 PM »

No, Aafka - I can see how BIG  notworthy he was (I almost thought he was a Praying Mantis at 1st glance).  Great detail - you can see the leg fuzzies, which makes me wonder just how loud he is? 
Judi
Juvie

Like Count: 43

African Fish Eagle

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10-Sep-09, 10:48:14 PM »

Whoa!  He not just big...he GINORMOUS!  surprise

Excellent photos, Aafke...great detail.  Wow!

wave

Life's a dance, you learn as you go...sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow...
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10-Sep-09, 11:01:50 PM »

I'd probably run running dog if I saw that Dinosaur....He is BIG. Thanks Aafke.

Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12-Sep-09, 10:35:04 PM »

reminds me of a katydid wonder if they are related.
Aafke
Falcon

Kingfisher

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13-Sep-09, 11:09:01 AM »

reminds me of a katydid wonder if they are related.

I never heard of a katydid. I looked on the internet and saw it and I read: "True Katydids are relatives of grasshoppers and crickets".
Very good of you Bird Crazy!

greetings Aafke

Feed the birds!!!!
Aafke
Falcon

Kingfisher

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13-Sep-09, 11:38:28 AM »

No, Aafka - I can see how BIG  notworthy he was (I almost thought he was a Praying Mantis at 1st glance).  Great detail - you can see the leg fuzzies, which makes me wonder just how loud he is? 

Hi Janet
No, at that moment he made no sound at all.
I read that only males "sing" by rubbing the for legs and you can only hear them between 3 pm and 3 am. De sound is very loud. Interesting! Probably this great green Bush Cricket is a female, she has a  Ovipositor (cannot find the English word), males don't have one. She lays her eggs in september.
Maybe I will have hundreds of them next year!
greetings Aafke

Feed the birds!!!!
Paul Hamilton
Tiercel

Like Count: 266

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13-Sep-09, 12:32:49 PM »

We have them here and call them katydids.  I grew up in Connecticut where they really did make a sound like "katy-did" on late summer and fall nights.  I remember looking out at the barn in back of my childhood home in the moonlight and hearing thousands of them, all being very loud.  That's how I went to sleep as a boy.

Here is one that was on our kitchen window on the first of September during our dinner.  Isn't it wonderful how much they look like leaves?  Unfortunately, the population here simply chirps, unlike their relatives up North.  Some day, I want to go up to my old home town for a weekend and find a place with screened windows so that I can enjoy this favorite sound again.

Paul
« Last Edit: 13-Sep-09, 12:43:04 PM by Paul Hamilton » Logged
valhalla
« Reply #8 on: 13-Sep-09, 12:54:15 PM »

We have them here and call them katydids.  
Paul

Believe it or not, I have only seen (1) one Katydid in my 51-years of life AND it was at the Arlington Courthouse.  On a window.  Hung out there for hours.  It was huge.  I don't know where it came from - no grass in that area.
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13-Sep-09, 03:45:36 PM »

Marie Winn has been posting for the past week or so on her blog about a "Cricket Crawl" in Central Park NYC. 

Friday's entry has some cricket calls

Her blog address http://mariewin.server304.com/marieblog/

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Paul Hamilton
Tiercel

Like Count: 266

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13-Sep-09, 04:29:44 PM »

Believe it or not, I have only seen (1) one Katydid in my 51-years of life AND it was at the Arlington Courthouse.  On a window.  Hung out there for hours.  It was huge.  I don't know where it came from - no grass in that area.

The guys around here in Arlington are Common True Katydids (Pterophylla camellifolia).  They live in trees and bushes, of which the Courthouse area has a lot. 

Paul
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17-Sep-09, 01:04:32 PM »

4th try to get this up. Ok, Janet sent me this pic of a Katydid she took....I haven't seen one in years.

Thanks Janet.. thumbsup

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17-Sep-09, 01:06:20 PM »

Looks like a Mantis.....but is it?  Thanks Janet again   clap

valhalla
« Reply #13 on: 17-Sep-09, 01:24:37 PM »

thanx Thanks so much for posting them Donna - appreciate it, as I wanted to share them and didn't have the time to get the process down straight.  bow  notworthy  bow  2thumbsup

Anyway, Rich and I thought these 2 guys were a Katydid and a Walking Stick but, I'm not so sure now.   confused0083  One thing I am certain about is that this group will know "who" these 2 bugs are.  educated

Big Thanks  thanks2 again to Donna!   music  There - a little song in your Honor  2thumbsup
Tokira
Juvie

Like Count: 142

Kaetzchen Gabriella of Tokira

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17-Sep-09, 01:29:05 PM »

When we're out camping, in Outer Boondock, WV, we hear, and see, lots of them.  Great music by which to sleep in a tent.  One landed on my leg one afternoon a few years back, and I was fascinated, until it took a test sample of my leg  tickedoff
Carol

We have them here and call them katydids.  I grew up in Connecticut where they really did make a sound like "katy-did" on late summer and fall nights.  I remember looking out at the barn in back of my childhood home in the moonlight and hearing thousands of them, all being very loud.  That's how I went to sleep as a boy.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: