THE FORUM

24-Oct-24, 09:22:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Irondequoit Bay Bald Eagles  (Read 19035 times)
Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 177

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 20-Feb-11, 04:00:25 AM »

I think you forgot something Bobbie!   hysterical

Did I?? Tell!!
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 315

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 20-Feb-11, 10:48:03 AM »

This is a bit of a hijack of this post, but I read something that rang true to this topic.  Being originally a City Girl from Brooklyn, NY I follow a few blogs from my old stomping grounds.  One of them is Backyard and Beyond.  Friday's entry recalled a song from my youth-"They paved paradise, put up a parking lot..."  The new theme seems to be they paved paradise, put up a shopping mall.  Anyway, the part I want to share (highlight is mine) is the public comment he will be submitting...

"Four Sparrow Marsh is a small piece of wildness in the city. It’s not a park – you mostly sink into the goo if you try walking there, and you have to watch where your feet go because the place is crawling with fiddler crabs in season. The birds, both residents and migrants passing through during the spring and fall, get most of the attention, but the marsh is also home to much invertebrate life, and fish, amphibians, reptiles, and mammals. Musk rat, for instance. There are also, of course, plants, and lichens, and fungi, components of the whole web of life that we humans are also a part of. As part of the larger ecosystem and life web of Jamaica Bay, which is part of the vast estuary that surrounds New York City, the marsh is vital to the future of the city. As a water filter; as a buffer against the rising waters of global warming; as an incubator of new life, fresh air, rich soil, the miracle of a small bird seen by someone otherwise surrounded by concrete. It’s a place, even with the highway howling nearby, you can hear the wind in the reeds. Why do we still have to defend the obvious, vital need for such things? It certainly shouldn’t be diminished and threatened by another mall and vast parking lot, a speculative project of short-term (and short-sighted) profit, indicative of a development ethos – transferring the commonwealth to private power – that has proved a failure over and over again."

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 20-Feb-11, 05:13:39 PM »

I think you forgot something Bobbie!   hysterical

Did I?? Tell!!

My mistake, I didn't notice your reply. stupid wave

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 08-Jul-11, 06:14:54 PM »

A local restaurant owner is suing the state DEC over the eagles' nest on his property

http://www.13wham.com/news/local/story/A-Bald-Eagle-Nest-A-Landowner-s-Rights/80pGUvwSfketiPnYq6TD1A.cspx

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 09-Jul-11, 06:30:58 AM »

Oh boy!!

Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 177

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 09-Jul-11, 07:41:55 AM »

Whoa! Gotta check this one - Thanks again, D-G!
Guru
Fluffball

Like Count: 6

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 02-Mar-13, 10:35:45 AM »

Good Morning Crew.  Has there been any news on the return of the Irondequoit Bay Eagles in 2013?  I haven't heard or seen anything on them.  Thank you!!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: