THE FORUM

19-Sep-24, 05:55:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rfalconcam glossary - a work in progress  (Read 56384 times)
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 18-Mar-11, 05:16:54 PM »

ORB = Orange Railing Bldg - the section of the building below the chute that Lady Pefa and friend are landing together and ee-chupping.

Peregrines know no borders.....
Nic1Pic
Juvie

Like Count: 43

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 18-Mar-11, 09:53:34 PM »

T D and J for the G of the RFC. N.

Thanks Donna and Jeanne for the Glossary of the Rochester Falcon Cam. Nicole
Penelope99
Juvie

Like Count: 18

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 18-Mar-11, 10:13:08 PM »

A third language Nicole?
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 18-Mar-11, 10:14:13 PM »

hysterical  I never would have got that!!

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 19-Mar-11, 01:26:10 AM »

hysterical  I never would have got that!!

Me either!!! wave

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Wing Goose
Tiercel

Like Count: 37

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 19-Mar-11, 03:48:38 PM »

Thanks so much for the Rfalconcam glossary.  I have
been getting a little bit confused lately.  This helps
a lot.

flowers
           Lola

Lola
Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 27-Mar-11, 03:54:01 PM »

Someone of you has known Cabot-Sirroco?

Carol F. in West Virginia, too
He was Mariah's mate the first two years I watched then some how I lost you guys for a couple of years then when I found you again it was my main man Kaver  wub2
« Last Edit: 27-Mar-11, 03:59:04 PM by Bird Crazy » Logged
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 315

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 27-Mar-11, 04:20:06 PM »

OK...I've collected all the suggestions and put them together in alpha order.  All comments and suggestions for other entries are more than welcome!

A    Archer Resident tiercel Rochester, NY since 2009 (hatched 2006 in Port Colborn, Ontario).  Mariah and Kaver's grandson. His father is Freedom (hatched 2002). He was a mate to Mariah for a very brief time in 2009 before pairing with Beauty

anthropomorphizing   attributing human characteristics, motives, and emotions to animals; a favorite watcher activity

B  Beauty Resident falcon Rochester, NY since 2009  (hatched 2007, Cathedral of Learning, Pittsburgh, PA)  First seen with Zephyr (M/K's offspring) in the winter of 2009. She then fought Mariah for territorial dominance in downtown Rochester in 2009.

BBRR  Braddock Bay Raptor Research  Hawk watch and banding station on the shore of Lake Ontario

BL Bausch & Lomb  Building in downtown Rochester, NY; occasional perch

Cabot-Sirocco   Hatched in 1997 to Victoria & Pounce-Kingsley in Toronto, ON. First mate of Mariah (1998-2002)

CB  Charbay Peregrine falcon seen at Charlotte, NY & Irondequoit Bay

cere Fleshy part of the upper beak containing the nostrils

CMNH   Cleveland Museum of Natural History   Forum where we followed Seneca (Rochester, NY 2008) and her nest with Cheyenne in 2010

CPF     Canadian Peregrine Foundation     Our neighbors to the north who keep watch on many Rochester offspring residing there

ee-chup    a sound of affection.  Heard often with the adults

eyas     newly hatched peregrine falcon

falcon     female peregrine

FCT     Frontier Communications Towers     Favorite perch. This is across from City Hall. A/B seemed to bring their fledglings there.  Calidora (hatched 2010) used to frequent the tower, screaming for food from her parents.  

FF     Falcon Flakes     The dedicated watchers who keep an eye on the peregrines no matter the weather

fledgling    A young peregrine after it makes it's first flight

GVAS     Genesee Valley Audubon Society     Sponsor of Rfalconcam

HSBC     building across from Xerox     A building in downtown Rochester.  Often, A/B areseen there at night.  It is across the street from Xerox. A/B will consistently perch on certain columns of the Xerox building at night.

IB     Irondequoit Bay     Large bay on the shore of Lake Ontario

Jail Tower    Communication tower on the Monroe County Jail building.  A favorite perch.

kakk    if done in a hurried manner, can be an alarm call but regular kakking can also be done for attention

Kaver     Wild hatched. Second mate of Mariah (2002-2008) Known affectionately as QTP2T. An extraordinarily faithful mate.  In 2006 when Mariah was injured he successfully hunted for her and the newly hatched eyases.

KO     Kodak Tower     original nestbox site and birthplace of close to 50 peregrine eyases

KP     Kodak Park     Ironically, where Mariah had been seen for awhile after she relinquished territory.  It is a few miles down the same road as Kodak Tower.  Lady Pefa is on one of the buildings of that complex

LP     Lady Pefa     Peregrine falcon with a purple midwest USFWS band residing at Kodak Park.

M&K; M/K     Mariah & Kaver     Resident peregrine pair 2002-2008

Mariah     Peregrine Falcon matriarch-- first falcon on Kodak tower (1998).  First mate was Cabot Scirocco (1998-2002), then with Kaver (2002-2008).  She spent most of her time at Kodak tower until the nestbox was moved to Times Square in 2009.

Mercury    Statue across from Times Square Building     across the road from Times Square building.  Favorite spot of A/B.  Seems to be the statue they prefer for mating and eating purposes.

Midtown Plaza     Going, going, almost gone.  An almost nest site for Mariah and Archer, then Archer and Beauty. Watchers witnessed many a coming and going of Falcons at the Midtown Tower, which is the only section of Midtown that will remain in the future.

NB     Nestbox     Manmade box with gravel substrate used to simulate the peregrine's preferrednest site of a gravel ledge on a cliff face

OCSR    Old Changing Scenes Restaurant.  Properly the First Federal Building     place where falcons seem to go but not for mating or nesting.  Mariah  and Kaver (M&K) used to store food in the elevator shaft of that building. This is still used for those purposes by Archer and Beauty.  Fledglings in 2010 also would go there with their parents.

Orville      A round white stone from the original scrape on Kodak Tower that was often mistaken for an egg.  During the long days of waiting for the eggs to hatch the stone was given the name Orville.  When the nest box was moved, Orville was taken to the new nest box where he is proudly overseeing the newest generations of Rochester Peregrines from the back left corner

PC     Psych Center     about 3-5 miles from Times Square.  We have seen Pefas there through the years (including Zephyr in 2009).  Again this winter, 2010, two have been seen on that building.  It is privately owned so viewing is restricted

PF or PeFa Peregrine Falcon

Powers Building    Another nestbox site after the box was removed from Kodak.  Birds have been seen near there but the nestbox has not been used.

RFC     Rfalconcam The place that brings all the falcon fans, both on the ground and on the internet, together!

RFW     Rochester Falcon Watchers

RM&T     Rhea Mae & Tiago     Rhea Mae (Rochester, NY 2006) is nesting with Tiago at the Sheraton Centre in Toronto, ON

scrape     Peregrine falcon nest; the depression scraped in the gravel to hold the eggs during incubation

Seneca     Hatched in 2008.  Nested in 2010 with Cheyenne at Brookpark Rd. Bridge near Cleveland, OH.

tiercel     male peregrine

TS    Times Square Building     new site of nestbox, used by Beauty and Archer

USFWS     US Fish and Wildlife Service     Issues the sequential numeric bands used in bird banding.  On peregrine falcons, the band color often indicates the region the bird was banded

wailing     used by eyases/fledglings when begging for food.  Adults will also wail when laying on eggs to indicate change from one adult to another

Wild Wings     Rehabilitation center and sanctuary for injured and unreleasable birds of prey

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 27-Mar-11, 09:08:04 PM »

notworthy
Wonderful job!   Any newcomer to the falconcam will be aided by this great glossary!  It's also a nice trip down memory lane....thank you to all who contributed!  And to Ei who put it all together.  clap
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 27-Mar-11, 09:24:35 PM »

Good job, Ei!  thumbsup

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 27-Mar-11, 10:06:12 PM »

Addition:  Quest our transmitter bird.

and KO actually stands for Kodak Office (world headquarters) of which the Kodak Tower is the highest structure.

Peregrines know no borders.....
Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 177

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 28-Mar-11, 05:25:26 AM »

Excellent, Ei! Thank you so much!

Slainte!

Bobbie
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 28-Mar-11, 06:20:56 AM »

Addition:  Quest our transmitter bird.

and KO actually stands for Kodak Office (world headquarters) of which the Kodak Tower is the highest structure.

I woke up in the middle of the night thinking...OMG!  I forgot Quest!

I'll make the corrections when I get home tonight...thanks!

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 28-Mar-11, 11:34:59 AM »

Can we add FC. Falcon Central-the stairs on Broad St. across from the Blue Cross Arena that go down to Aqueduct St.  Next to the Reuters Thomson building and the empty Phillips building.   Grin

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 28-Mar-11, 12:35:26 PM »

Can we add FC. Falcon Central-the stairs on Broad St. across from the Blue Cross Arena that go down to Aqueduct St.  Next to the Reuters Thomson building and the empty Phillips building.   Grin

Of course we can!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: