THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 10:10:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 ... 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jersey City  (Read 161399 times)
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: 14-Jun-13, 10:51:35 PM »

Big news to report.  The female we named Athena has been 99 percent verified as being 18 years old.  My friend Mike got enough band numbers to put with the other numbers we have to get enough of the band to get her banding place and year. 

She was hacked outside Maiden Creek, PA in 1995.  She has been in Jersey City since 2001 or so.

So Athena wasn't her banding name? Was she hatched in PA? So it took all these years to get the band numbers? Wow-18! She's quite old then but still a great mom!  She's done a wonderful job fostering this year!  Was Six her mate's real name or did you name him too?  How old is he? Lots of questions!  hyper

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: 14-Jun-13, 10:59:30 PM »

Big news to report.  The female we named Athena has been 99 percent verified as being 18 years old.  My friend Mike got enough band numbers to put with the other numbers we have to get enough of the band to get her banding place and year. 

She was hacked outside Maiden Creek, PA in 1995.  She has been in Jersey City since 2001 or so.

Oh my 18?? She's living a great life. Thanks for the info Bonnie!!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: 14-Jun-13, 11:23:16 PM »

A good long life for a peregrine!  Grin

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Bonnie
Tiercel

Like Count: 45

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: 26-Jun-13, 11:45:55 AM »

Thanks for all the nice comments.  I was down in JC again on Sunday and Tuesday and saw The Boss and the two adults.

www.bonnietalluto.com

“No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wings”
William Blake
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: 26-Jun-13, 03:23:47 PM »

Thanks for all the nice comments.  I was down in JC again on Sunday and Tuesday and saw The Boss and the two adults.

www.bonnietalluto.com

Great pics Bonnie, glad the "Boss" is doing well! Thanks

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: 26-Jun-13, 05:52:15 PM »

Great pics as usual Bonnie! The Boss is very handsome!!  wave

-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: 01-Apr-14, 08:35:37 AM »

http://www.conservewildlifenj.org/education/falconcam/  Jersey City is LIVE now!

Male in nest just before he came out and mated with her!

The adult female has remained an elusive one… She has been nesting in Jersey City since 2004. She is only banded with a silver federal USGS band. No one knows her true identity since her band has been unreadable with binocs or cameras. However, this summer, on the day of banding, volunteer/nest observer Mike Girone managed to get a couple photos of her leg band. Some numbers were visible and have indicated that she might be an 18 year-old female that was hacked near Maiden Creek, PA in 1995 but we’re still investigating… As Kathy Clark reveals, “That age makes sense in terms of how long she’s been in Jersey City, the large egg clutch, the failure of eggs to hatch and the damaged chicks we’ve seen the past few years. However, a missing color band makes a positive ID at this point impossible. ” It seems we might never know who and where she is from…

The adult male (also called a tiercel) was banded ten years ago as a nestling at Riverside Church in New York. We know this because before he fledged, he was banded by NY DEP scientist, Chris Nadareski with a federal USGS band (black) and a bi-color auxiliary band (black/green {*2/*6}). Shortly after he was banded he was re-sighted on a building in Edgewater on July 4, 2003. He was an immature bird when he landed on the building and was photographed and reported to zoologist Kathy Clark with the Endangered and Nongame Species Program. He's been nesting at the Jersey City eyrie since 2006
« Last Edit: 01-Apr-14, 09:52:11 AM by Donna » Logged

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: 02-Apr-14, 06:05:00 AM »

thumbsup

-John Burroughs
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: 02-Apr-14, 07:08:22 AM »

With her past history and age, I wonder what her reproduction capabilities will be this year. I'm finding that there are many Peregrines that I wasn't aware of their advanced ages-SW, Hera, Dorothy, Athena.  notworthy

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: 02-Apr-14, 07:14:58 AM »

With her past history and age, I wonder what her reproduction capabilities will be this year. I'm finding that there are many Peregrines that I wasn't aware of their advanced ages-SW, Hera, Dorothy, Athena.  notworthy

Things didn't go so well last year! Very hard to watch!  Sad

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: 15-Apr-14, 08:13:44 AM »

No eggs yet in JC!! Sad

Some of you may be following along with the action at the Jersey City Falcom Cam. Or, more correctly, the lack of said “action”. As a part-time, amateur, volunteer cam operator I’ve been on pins-n-needles hoping to get that one big shot: the egg shot. But Beatrice, the Grande Matriarch of the Jersey City Falcon Cam is late. So much so, the Internet is abuzz with rumor that she might be infertile. While her true identity is still unknown after 14 years of not being able to read all of the numbers on her banded leg, it is pretty certain she is a Pennsylvania Princess and a ripe 19 years of age. After 14 seasons of laying eggs on camera, could she finally be done?

by Jim Verhagen

*They MAY give her an egg to hatch from another nest, or hatchling!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: 15-Apr-14, 11:02:25 AM »

wow She certainly has done her part and deserves to relax in her old age.  yes

-John Burroughs
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: 15-Apr-14, 11:14:28 AM »

thumbsup
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: 15-Apr-14, 11:32:45 AM »

Yes she has!

Caitie
Fledgling

Like Count: 19

Iamnotaddicted

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: 15-Apr-14, 08:54:49 PM »

crying Unforgiving windy and rainy night atop the building in JC just feet from the Hudson River. The female was just sitting in the scrape and then moved to the back corner of the nestbox to escape the wind. I hope tonight she lays her first egg though shes 18 years old Im cheering her on. The sound of the wind and the dropping temps tonight.. eeep!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 ... 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: