THE FORUM

29-Mar-24, 09:08:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jersey City  (Read 161447 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: 31-May-15, 05:25:58 PM »

NESTBOX NEWS
May 11
This will likely be the last entry of Nestbox News for the 2015 nesting season. It's bittersweet to write. All in all I think it was good, albeit a short season. From the moment we set foot on the rooftop on March 4th we had a feeling the old pair was gone. It was likely a battle ensued and the new pair has claimed the precious eyrie atop 101 Hudson St. We got to witness and hear courtship displays but no eggs were ever laid. It's now too late for the pair to nest and raise young. Most other falcon nests in New Jersey are all just starting to hatch. With that said, we will be canceling the internet at the end of May, that we use to stream the cam, since it is expensive for us to maintain. We hope to see you back here for another season in 2016 to (hopefully) watch the new pair raise a brood of falcons for the first time! We'd like to thank everyone who watches and supports the Falcon Cam. --Ben

April 8
As we all watch and wait we wonder, will the new pair breed this year? We have some knowledgeable insight from Kathy:
"There's still hope. We've seen females attempt to nest as 2 year olds when they may hatch one or not. This female is a 3 year old (technically, she's in her 4th year counting 2012), so she is mature to nest. We don't know the male's age but he has adult plumage. They're still doing a lot of courtship, which solidifies their relationship. He brought her prey just yesterday after one of those vocal sessions. We probably have another couple of weeks before I'd say it's not going to happen."
We learned a bit more information about the new female, 41/AX in the past few days. Like others, she's a New York bird turned Jersey girl. She originated from a nest near the Bayonne Bridge in 2012. You know how we feel about naming birds...but she was named "Juliette" when she was banded by Chris Nadereski, NY DEP. Her and her nest mate (a male) were given names "that were inspired by their birthplace," according to a Port Authority spokeman. Juliette for Bayonne's Juliet St., which passes under the bridge.
In the past the falcons nested on the Bayonne Bridge, which can be treacherous for young fledgling falcons that sometimes fall onto the busy roadway below. Instead, the Port Authority built a new platform for the nesting falcons. Kudos to everyone who moved the nest and gave these wonderful birds a chance to survive in the urban environment, where many natural wonders are un-noticed by many.

(Oh well), sad!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: 31-May-15, 05:33:36 PM »

Better luck next year!  yes

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Bonnie
Tiercel

Like Count: 45

View Profile WWW
« Reply #287 on: 13-Sep-15, 08:24:47 PM »

Kris G found our jersey girl, Ivy the Shady Lady from 2014 on the Tommy Thompson Park Bird Research Center site. She looks fabulous!!  Those Canada boys must be quite the hunks.  Thank you Kris

https://m.facebook.com/TTPBRS/photos/pcb.10153563011124707/10153563010994707/?type=1&source=48&refid=17&_ft_=top_level_post_id.10153563011124707%3Atl_objid.10153563011124707

“No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wingsâ€
William Blake
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: 13-Sep-15, 10:16:11 PM »

Kris G found our jersey girl, Ivy the Shady Lady from 2014 on the Tommy Thompson Park Bird Research Center site. She looks fabulous!!  Those Canada boys must be quite the hunks.  Thank you Kris

https://m.facebook.com/TTPBRS/photos/pcb.10153563011124707/10153563010994707/?type=1&source=48&refid=17&_ft_=top_level_post_id.10153563011124707%3Atl_objid.10153563011124707

Actually, Carly found the post, shared it on BCAW FB page and that's where I saw it!  I was so excited that I messaged you to let you know!  What great news that Ivy has continued to do well..Athena and Six were great parents to her!  Love her coloring..transitioning into her adult feathers. I agree..something about those Canadian boys!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: 20-Nov-15, 01:33:26 PM »

Ivy is getting around. Band confirmation tells us this is her yesterday just down the Carl Hall Road from Toronto Wildlife Centre. I spotted her yesterday high up a tree while on a "mission".

Rob Mueller on FB

clap

It's always a thrill when out and about, and I spot the fastest bird on the planet in my travels. This one is sporting some bling as you can see on her legs. The numbers tell us a lot... her name is Ivy, she was born in New Jersey back in 2013. She's been spotted around Toronto in a few places the last couple months. She's looking for a permanent home and a mate. Yesterday she was hanging out very close to Toronto Wildlife, just down Carl Hall Road a short bit. Cool!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: 07-Dec-15, 11:29:43 PM »

Jersey City ‪#‎FalconCam‬ news!
Eric Chandler sent us these photos of 41/AX or "Juliet" as she is called. She's a 3 year old New York bird turned Jersey Girl and the new resident female who calls 101 Hudson St. in Jersey City home.
We'll be re-activating the Falcon Cam in early 2016 with high hopes that we'll have a productive pair next year!

Love the background and pretty girl!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: 08-Dec-15, 06:15:45 AM »

thumbsup

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Rotarran
Big Clutch

Like Count: 3

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: 05-Jan-16, 09:20:41 PM »

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to give you a quick update that Ivy 79AN has been spotted at one of our local parks here in Toronto called Downsview Park.  I frequent this park often and on Sunday January 3, 2016 I spotted her for the first time at approximately 11am. 

I took some pics of her...she was remarkably approachable...it's as close as I've ever been to a Peregrine Falcon.  But at 20 metres I stopped and used my 83x zoom camera to snap the close-ups below.  The first one has her leg-band with ID number 79AN

Rotarran
Big Clutch

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: 05-Jan-16, 09:24:17 PM »

Also here's my ebird report to give you location details and other bird species counts (if interested).
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S26651661
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: 05-Jan-16, 09:29:49 PM »

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to give you a quick update that Ivy 79AN has been spotted at one of our local parks here in Toronto called Downsview Park.  I frequent this park often and on Sunday January 3, 2016 I spotted her for the first time at approximately 11am. 

I took some pics of her...she was remarkably approachable...it's as close as I've ever been to a Peregrine Falcon.  But at 20 metres I stopped and used my 83x zoom camera to snap the close-ups below.  The first one has her leg-band with ID number 79AN

Awesome!  I followed that whole story about Ivy and her foster parents, Athena and Six that year!  So glad to hear she's doing well! Is that park near the  King St nest site, where she was spotted a while ago?

Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #295 on: 05-Jan-16, 09:30:59 PM »

Wow! Great first post, Rotarran!
Rotarran
Big Clutch

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: 05-Jan-16, 09:38:46 PM »

Awesome!  I followed that whole story about Ivy and her foster parents, Athena and Six that year!  So glad to hear she's doing well! Is that park near the  King St nest site, where she was spotted a while ago?

No actually it's not.  Well at least not for me, maybe for Ivy it is.  I just used a straight line distance calculator and it is about 8 miles from Downsview Park to that King street nest site.
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: 05-Jan-16, 10:48:28 PM »

No actually it's not.  Well at least not for me, maybe for Ivy it is.  I just used a straight line distance calculator and it is about 8 miles from Downsview Park to that King street nest site.

Thanks!  I haven't read anymore postings about Ivy being seen there so maybe she's given up.  This was the last posting on CPF-

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2015/12/sightings/erin-still-at-king-st-and-ivy-persists/

carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: 06-Jan-16, 06:17:33 AM »

Thank you for the photos of Ivy, she's beautiful!  As for giving up on King, don't count her out yet - it's not yet nesting season so she has no reason to risk her life fighting just now.  I expect she's probably scoping out a few potential sites before Spring comes and she decides to make a move.
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: 06-Jan-16, 09:19:52 AM »

Thank you for the photos of Ivy, she's beautiful!  As for giving up on King, don't count her out yet - it's not yet nesting season so she has no reason to risk her life fighting just now.  I expect she's probably scoping out a few potential sites before Spring comes and she decides to make a move.

It'll be an interesting time, come spring! 

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: