THE FORUM

20-Apr-24, 10:08:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 ... 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jersey City  (Read 162700 times)
Bonnie
Tiercel

Like Count: 45

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: 23-Jun-12, 09:25:38 PM »

More stuff up on my blog

www.bonnietalluto.com

“No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wingsâ€
William Blake
Bonnie
Tiercel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: 26-Jun-12, 09:13:40 PM »

Update here. It was the female who perished. We still have the two males who were pinioned to a ledge.  The parents brought in food at 8 am. One male did fly at about 9 am.   I'll post pictures shortly.  Only of the two males. 

William Blake
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 26-Jun-12, 11:35:36 PM »

Update here. It was the female who perished. We still have the two males who were pinioned to a ledge.  The parents brought in food at 8 am. One male did fly at about 9 am.   I'll post pictures shortly.  Only of the two males. 

Ahhh, so sorry!  Sad

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 27-Jun-12, 06:26:55 AM »

Sad

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Bonnie
Tiercel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: 27-Jun-12, 11:18:44 AM »

On a happy note, the two boys are doing great.  Here is one of my new favs:

Jersey City Peregrines 6-26-12-5 by brtalluto, on Flickr

10 Exchange Place, Jersey City

Jersey City Peregrines 6-26-12-4 by brtalluto, on Flickr

15 Exchange

Jersey City Peregrines 6-26-12-2 by brtalluto, on Flickr

MacPigeon Breakfast Meal

Jersey City Peregrines 6-26-12-11 by brtalluto, on Flickr

Jersey City Peregrines 6-26-12-15 by brtalluto, on Flickr

And more on my blog:

www.bonnietalluto.com

William Blake
carla
Tiercel

Like Count: 78

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 27-Jun-12, 05:14:49 PM »

Great Pictures Bonnie,especially the McPigeon!
Greetings Carla
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 27-Jun-12, 05:26:22 PM »

Great pictures and I also love the one over the water!

Bonnie
Tiercel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: 27-Jun-12, 05:28:02 PM »

Thanks, Kris and Carla.  It is gorgeous in JC where we watch.

William Blake
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 28-Jun-12, 06:16:02 AM »

Nothing like a falcon flying over water. I always loved when the Juvies flew through the gorge! Thanks Bonnie, great pics. Glad the boys are doing well.

Bonnie
Tiercel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: 01-Aug-12, 02:58:56 PM »

We have a juvie in trouble.  Our contact at 10 Exchange investigated reports of a sick bird huddled at the entrance to the building.  It was one of our young guys.  People were walking within five feet of him and he wasn't moving.  He was easily captured with a towel, put into a box and hastily transported to the Raptor Trust.  We will let you know anything we can as soon as we can.  Fingers crossed.  He has been 'on the wing' since mid June.  Last week a kind soul from 101 Hudson saw a juvie perched on 15 Exchange for a very long time and he notified us.  The bird did fly away and we figured it had to be very hungry because it should be hunting on its own by now.  This could be the same bird.

Now I'm feeling sad because I could have gone down last Saturday when I got back from California.

William Blake
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 01-Aug-12, 03:04:31 PM »

We have a juvie in trouble.  Our contact at 10 Exchange investigated reports of a sick bird huddled at the entrance to the building.  It was one of our young guys.  People were walking within five feet of him and he wasn't moving.  He was easily captured with a towel, put into a box and hastily transported to the Raptor Trust.  We will let you know anything we can as soon as we can.  Fingers crossed.  He has been 'on the wing' since mid June.  Last week a kind soul from 101 Hudson saw a juvie perched on 15 Exchange for a very long time and he notified us.  The bird did fly away and we figured it had to be very hungry because it should be hunting on its own by now.  This could be the same bird.

Now I'm feeling sad because I could have gone down last Saturday when I got back from California.

Oh I hope it's something that's easily treatable. 

NoraH
Juvie

Like Count: 26

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 01-Aug-12, 03:13:26 PM »

Bonnie, at that point if it was flying there probably wouldn't have been anything to do, unless you meant go down since then.  Hope he does ok!
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 01-Aug-12, 04:01:54 PM »

Ah, so sorry Bonnie. He's in good hands at the Trust!

http://theraptortrust.org/

Bonnie
Tiercel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: 13-Aug-12, 09:59:56 AM »

Sad news to report.  The cause of death has been determined in our male who passed away at the Raptor Trust.  Even sadder is that a person at 101 Hudson saw the sick bird the week before, but we thought it was just begging for food which it apparently was.  I could have gone down when I got back from California, but I didn't.

From Nestbox News
August 13, 2012 - More Sad News
We are sorry to report that another of the Jersey City falcons died recently. The young male, band 17/AM, was found by our friend David Defino near the entrance to 10 Exchange Place, just across the street from 101 Hudson St. building. David retrieved the ailing bird and drove him to The Raptor Trust on August 1st, where he died shortly after.

A post-mortem was done by Dr. Erica Miller at Tri-State Bird Rescue & Research in Newark, DE, and cause of death was probably aspergillosis, a respiratory infection that was probably worsened by stress and thin body condition. Additional testing should confirm this, as well as test for exposure to West Nile virus and contaminants.

This is a sad reminder that for young peregrine falcons, like all young raptors, survival to adulthood is filled with risks. About half do not make it through their first year. Happily, the survival rate after year one is usually well over 80%. An example of that side of the coin is the adult female who has called 101 Hudson St. home since (at least) 2005: we don't know her exact identity, but she is eleven years old at a minimum. Average age of breeding peregrines in NJ is eight years, with maximum age usually topping out at 16 to 17 years in the wild. This female continues to do well, maintaining her territory and raising young amidst the hazards of the city.

William Blake
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 13-Aug-12, 10:08:36 AM »

A post-mortem was done by Dr. Erica Miller at Tri-State Bird Rescue & Research in Newark, DE, and cause of death was probably aspergillosis, a respiratory infection that was probably worsened by stress and thin body condition. Additional testing should confirm this, as well as test for exposure to West Nile virus and contaminants.

So sad. That's what Rhea Mae & Tiago's Kate died from last year. As I recall she came to ground once and health check seemed OK so she was released. The next time she came down it was finally apparent that she was ill.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 ... 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: