THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 04:38:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 ... 206   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quest and Kendal - Toronto/Don Mills  (Read 1309647 times)
dale
Falcon

Like Count: 276

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: 20-Apr-11, 03:04:56 PM »

The address is 220 Duncan Mills Road, Toronto. If google results can be trusted, it appears to hold a variety of businesses, including a caviar supplier, an early education reading program, a real estate development corporation, and a computer repair company... unfortunately, no suite or floor numbers are given.

thanks.
Whoa. I wonder if the caviar supplier knows what kind of eggs are right outside his window?
Revenge of the eggs, huh.
DebbieB
Fluffball

Like Count: 3

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 20-Apr-11, 03:29:24 PM »

I know this must have been posted and I missed it, sorry - but who owns the building (and the office!!!) where Quest's scrape actually IS? The photo ops from BRC are outstanding, but who actually has her on their windowsill?

I believe she's on the roof.    Someone mentioned a nestbox - does that mean this year?   With an egg already laid?
ezsha
Tiercel

Like Count: 25

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: 20-Apr-11, 04:09:41 PM »

I believe she's on the roof.    Someone mentioned a nestbox - does that mean this year?   With an egg already laid?

They are on the roof with a barely graveled scrape - there is no nest box. CPF is considering placing one at some point this season, as there isn't much there for protection of the eggs (i.e. to keep them from rolling away, etc.). However, there is a concern that placing one could cause them to abandon the site.

They currently have one egg; elsewhere in Toronto, they have a pair that has abandoned eggs on several floors of the same building. I don't think anyone wants that, so I'm sure CPF will be extremely cautious about introducing a box or pea gravel if that is a likely result.
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: 20-Apr-11, 04:32:43 PM »

According to this article..they want to put a box in tomorrow or Friday..I hope it doesn't scare them off and they abandon the site.

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/977698--harlequin-falcon-egg-is-not-expected-to-hatch?bn=1
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: 20-Apr-11, 04:41:43 PM »

According to this article..they want to put a box in tomorrow or Friday..I hope it doesn't scare them off and they abandon the site.

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/977698--harlequin-falcon-egg-is-not-expected-to-hatch?bn=1

Somehow I think Mark may have been misunderstood-"The tray won’t help the current egg, which Quest is already showing signs of abandoning."  It's far too early to think she's showing signs of abandoning anything.  A tray surely will help-and I'm pretty sure when they do put up a tray they'll put the egg in it.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: 20-Apr-11, 04:55:58 PM »

Yeah some of the comments in the article aren't exactly accurate.  We;ve also seen eggs hatch out on concrete just fine - there are alot of other factors to consider and although not ideal, it's not impossible.  And that egg could sit there for quite awhile and still be viable as we saw at the Pitt site last year.  I just hope they don't scare them off by going up now and that she takes to the box.  
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 20-Apr-11, 05:02:21 PM »

Well, if they're going to put up a box now is probably as good a time as any.  If Quest has another egg forming she'll need to lay it somewhere, and instinct will tell her to lay it with the first one.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 20-Apr-11, 05:47:07 PM »

I didn't know Quest had a scuffle with another female in Port Colborne last year. Wow, she really wanted that nest.

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 20-Apr-11, 06:02:51 PM »

I didn't know Quest had a scuffle with another female in Port Colborne last year. Wow, she really wanted that nest.

That was news to me too, Donna.

Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

Like Count: 283

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 20-Apr-11, 06:33:42 PM »

I believe she's on the roof.

They are on the roof with a barely graveled scrape - there is no nest box.

I thought it was on the roof as well, but after watching the media videos that ezsha posted, it looks like the scrape is on the next level down on a ledge in front of windows.
glothom
Fledgling

Like Count: 5

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 20-Apr-11, 06:35:34 PM »

yahoo I am just over the top HAPPY about Quest and her new life in Toronto! I look forward to seeing her soon and meeting the folks at Harlequin. I do hope they get a nest tray of some sort for her and Kendal.  heart  Grin

If they put up something like that this year isn't there a chance it would chase Quest away to another spot? Even with an egg there? Or are you talking about for next year?

glo...
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 20-Apr-11, 06:40:22 PM »

Oh, boy.  I really hate to report this.  You all know that I have been in contact with some very nice folks from Harlequin since Quest made her appearance.

I just read the newest article, and it looks like what Mark said in the article was proven correct.  I truly hate to be the bearer of bad news, but at approximately 3:50 pm, Quest was seen pushing her egg off of the ledge.  This is so sad, but maybe, in the long run, it's for the best.  I hope that Mark is able to get the nest tray out onto the ledge tomorrow, before she attempts to lay her 2nd egg.

First time parents of any species can have a hard time and Peregrines are no exception. 

I really do believe that she will continue to lay eggs and that she & Kendal will be successful.   heart

Peregrines know no borders.....
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 20-Apr-11, 06:49:00 PM »

Oh, boy.  I really hate to report this.  You all know that I have been in contact with some very nice folks from Harlequin since Quest made her appearance.

I just read the newest article, and it looks like what Mark said in the article was proven correct.  I truly hate to be the bearer of bad news, but at approximately 3:50 pm, Quest was seen pushing her egg off of the ledge.  This is so sad, but maybe, in the long run, it's for the best.  I hope that Mark is able to get the nest tray out onto the ledge tomorrow, before she attempts to lay her 2nd egg.

First time parents of any species can have a hard time and Peregrines are no exception. 

I really do believe that she will continue to lay eggs and that she & Kendal will be successful.   heart

Oh phooey!  Well, I don't like hearing it, but thanks for letting us know.  It will all turn out OK in the end...

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 20-Apr-11, 06:52:57 PM »

yahoo I am just over the top HAPPY about Quest and her new life in Toronto! I look forward to seeing her soon and meeting the folks at Harlequin. I do hope they get a nest tray of some sort for her and Kendal.  heart  Grin

If they put up something like that this year isn't there a chance it would chase Quest away to another spot? Even with an egg there? Or are you talking about for next year?

Whenever the powers to be think is best!

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 20-Apr-11, 06:55:14 PM »

Whenever the powers to be think is best!

Sounds like they're planning on putting up a tray now.  We just have to trust the CPF to make the right choices-I agree MAK-they will do what they think is best.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 ... 206   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: