THE FORUM

16-Apr-24, 01:08:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 ... 206   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quest and Kendal - Toronto/Don Mills  (Read 1316212 times)
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: 04-May-11, 10:39:02 PM »

Beautiful pictures!!!  Thanks so much BigFrank!

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: 04-May-11, 11:08:19 PM »

wave Thanks Frank! Kendal is an awesome mate for Quest!  heart heart

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: 04-May-11, 11:22:38 PM »

Most definitely, took her a few years to find the perfect mate. I like that she explored before settling into a relationship!  heart

Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: 05-May-11, 07:20:50 AM »

Most definitely, took her a few years to find the perfect mate. I like that she explored before settling into a relationship!  heart
Well she was trying to find one as good as her Daddy, they don't come much better than that.
margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: 05-May-11, 07:55:33 AM »

I love my TVs too. I think they are beautiful fliers.
Thanks, Carol, and BC...I'll have to visit Barf at Wild Wings.  I've been wanting to visit there anyway...
loheron
Fledgling

Like Count: 23

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: 05-May-11, 09:04:36 AM »

Maybe I don't need to sponsor Barf anymore. It sounds like he's got some admiring girlfriends out there.
Larry O Grin

Turkey Vultures are usually just floating through the area on migration.  They may be attracted to the caches left by the Peregrines on top of buildings.  As far as I know, they are no threat to Peregrines or their young.  They are just in the wrong spot at the wrong time, when it comes to a protective Peregrine Papa.  

Personally, I think Turkey Vultures are handsome birds.  If you get a chance to visit with Barf at Wild Wings, you might change your opinion.   wub2

Carol P.

Thanks,Donna for asking, and thank you to BF and Ann for the report and pics of Kendal with TV.  
I left work yesterday and stopped because  I saw the  ugliest thing sitting in the road.  It flew up when I passed, so of course I stopped and then saw three turkey vultures sitting in trees on the side of the road.  I pulled out my binocs and just sat and watched them.  They are big and  "big ugly".   So good for Kendal for sounding the alarm and chasing this  big, ugly TV from the nest.  
Actually, if someone can answer...how much of a threat are TVs to the nest?  I thought they were only attracted to carrion, and by the scent or gasses given off by decaying matter.  Do TVs prey on nests too?
I know our parents downtown have been subject to TVs  and given chase as well.  Can anyone inform?
I fell in love with Barf, he caught my attention!!  heart
margaret
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: 09-May-11, 04:52:55 PM »

Just checked CPF site and report says that Quest and Kendal are hard incubating their egg, and defending nest site from TVs passing through as well as the resident geese.   
I also noticed that the the CPF says "WEB CAM COMING SOON"  under the Toronto-Don Mills site!
That would be awesome if it is up and running before the egg hatches! You watchers who have been up there, would that be a cam from Harlequin's office?  Or would it be set up somewhere else? 
I think a camera was also listed as "coming soon"  to the Yellow Page site where Linn is currently  at nest.  A banner year for M and K genes!   
 happy
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: 09-May-11, 05:24:49 PM »

Margaret - They could definitely put cameras on the Harlequin Bldg. and point them at the ledge across the street.  Not sure what they're planning.

Peregrines know no borders.....
margaret
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: 09-May-11, 05:46:15 PM »

Have you been in contact with CPF?  In your opinion, do you think a webcam could be up and running prior to hatch?   (At Don Mills and at Yellow Pages site?) That would be great!
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: 09-May-11, 05:53:38 PM »

Have you been in contact with CPF?  In your opinion, do you think a webcam could be up and running prior to hatch?   (At Don Mills and at Yellow Pages site?) That would be great!

Not sure of the timing at either site.  They've been working hard on updating Rhea Mae and Tiago's camera at the Sheraton.  It looks great!   clap

margaret
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: 09-May-11, 06:06:22 PM »

Not sure of the timing at either site.  They've been working hard on updating Rhea Mae and Tiago's camera at the Sheraton.  It looks great!   clap

And Rhea Mae and Tiago's cam is wonderful.  It's so clear. Kudos to CPF for that improvement. 
Now to see the rest of our gals in Canada.  Our Pefas do like the Canadian shores!
Was it you who said you suspected that M and K were  of Canadian heritage?
Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

Like Count: 283

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: 09-May-11, 06:21:07 PM »

Margaret - you will probably know about the cams sooner than us.  Keep monitoring the CPF site and we'll count on you to help keep us all informed.

Just to put things in perspective...Even though we stay in touch with CPF, now is the time we minimize contact (as they have asked) because they are so swamped with so many sites to monitor.  They only have a slim few to handle all of the sites, and both gas and phone calls are costly.  Calls between US and CAN are very expensive especially with roaming charges on cell phones.  I can tell you from personal experience on our last Quest trip, that a one-day connection for my computer on roaming charges ran up a bill just slightly under $5,000.  A very costly mistake, as we watched our nestbox while in Toronto.

CPF staff put in a lot of time and even their own funds to keep things going.  Donations and contributions are virtually nonexistent during the summer months because there are no school visit programs, which sustain them through the winter months.  CPF is a labor of love, and a volunteer effort on everyone's part up there.

We may touch base by email. but we don't always hear back right away.  When Big Frank has the time, he keeps us posted on the forum, and maybe he can let us know when cams are put in place.

Joyce
margaret
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: 09-May-11, 06:44:39 PM »

Margaret - you will probably know about the cams sooner than us.  Keep monitoring the CPF site and we'll count on you to help keep us all informed.

Just to put things in perspective...Even though we stay in touch with CPF, now is the time we minimize contact (as they have asked) because they are so swamped with so many sites to monitor.  They only have a slim few to handle all of the sites, and both gas and phone calls are costly.  Calls between US and CAN are very expensive especially with roaming charges on cell phones.  I can tell you from personal experience on our last Quest trip, that a one-day connection for my computer on roaming charges ran up a bill just slightly under $5,000.  A very costly mistake, as we watched our nestbox while in Toronto.

CPF staff put in a lot of time and even their own funds to keep things going.  Donations and contributions are virtually nonexistent during the summer months because there are no school visit programs, which sustain them through the winter months.  CPF is a labor of love, and a volunteer effort on everyone's part up there.

We may touch base by email. but we don't always hear back right away.  When Big Frank has the time, he keeps us posted on the forum, and maybe he can let us know when cams are put in place.

Joyce

Thank you for the perspective, Joyce.   You are a master (mistress?) of understatement if you say that a 5K bill was a "mistake".  I would be incoherent!
I do check in on CPF for Quest updates, so I will keep us all apprised. 
It's time to update the Quest tee shirts!   Can it end with "happily ever after"? 
 Grin

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: 09-May-11, 09:33:53 PM »

"Thank you for the perspective, Joyce.   You are a master (mistress?) of understatement if you say that a 5K bill was a "mistake".  I would be incoherent!
I do check in on CPF for Quest updates, so I will keep us all apprised.  
It's time to update the Quest tee shirts!   Can it end with "happily ever after"?  
 Grin" - Margaret

We're working on it!   Wink

and no, it wasn't me that said M&K were from Canada.  Since they were both unbanded, there is no way to know where they came from.

valhalla
« Reply #419 on: 10-May-11, 05:10:57 AM »

Calls between US and CAN are very expensive especially with roaming charges on cell phones.  I can tell you from personal experience on our last Quest trip, that a one-day connection for my computer on roaming charges ran up a bill just slightly under $5,000.  A very costly mistake, as we watched our nestbox while in Toronto.
Joyce

Don't know about the local carrier, but VERIZON has been VERY forgiving about those errors in the past.  You can't triangue with the US towers in Toronto, but this is a common error.  I know when we went to Niagara Falls, we were very aware of the border, but we never hit International.  Contact your local provider - they are very good about those of us who have blond  blonde moments.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 ... 206   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: