THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 04:58:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 ... 206   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quest and Kendal - Toronto/Don Mills  (Read 1309464 times)
glothom
Fledgling

Like Count: 5

View Profile
« Reply #855 on: 21-Jun-11, 03:01:48 PM »

Thank you all at Harlequin for making this happen. Mark Nash and CPF, way to go. Was great to watch. Lots of manpower went into this and we sure do appreciate your hard work. clap 2thumbsup thumbsup

I agree! Thank all of you so much!

glo...
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #856 on: 21-Jun-11, 03:03:44 PM »

2thumbsup clap notworthy

margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #857 on: 21-Jun-11, 03:04:59 PM »

bguitar falcon2
Official welcome to baby girl, Harlequin!     heart heart

May you fly long and strong like your mother and grandmother, Mariah!   Good strong females!  

Thank you once again to CPF and Harlequin folks.  It is an absolute joy to be able to watch Quest and her young one!
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #858 on: 21-Jun-11, 03:08:44 PM »

And She's back out again. LOL

glothom
Fledgling

Like Count: 5

View Profile
« Reply #859 on: 21-Jun-11, 03:09:26 PM »

Harlie is out of the nest box again. Maybe they should have put a little ramp on the side of the nest box so she can get back in till she learns to jump a little higher. LOL

glo...
Braveheart2665
Juvie

Like Count: 18

Freyja Always in my Heart

View Profile
« Reply #860 on: 21-Jun-11, 04:02:40 PM »

Oh my gosh that was so awesome !  2thumbsup  I watched on a lady's computer where I was working.

I knew it - Harlie a big beautiful girlie  wub2

Thank you so much CPA  thumbsup

Follow me at Thebraveheartfiles.blogspot.com
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #861 on: 21-Jun-11, 04:16:27 PM »

I am so grateful also to Harlequin and the magnificent folks at CPF.  We have waited so long for Quest to find her home.  What an opportunity it has been to know where she has been and to see her home, her mate and her little one.  Little Harlie, you are part of a strong legacy- be safe in your travels! heart heart heart

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #862 on: 21-Jun-11, 07:54:57 PM »

Quest was NOT her Mama!  Mariah would have kicked human backside and kicked it again because she could!  Quest looked pretty calm all things considered.

You got that right! Mariah would not have put up with anyone near her babies! Of course, we couldn't see what was happening on the roof. Quest could have been up there.
I wonder if it is because these next generation females have all been banded themselves. So they know it doesn't hurt and the little one will be put back. Mariah and Kaver were not banded themselves (well not until after her injury) But then if memory serves every year Mariah got more aggressive so maybe next year... But honestly I thought she might hit so hard she'd knock her antennae off.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #863 on: 21-Jun-11, 08:10:21 PM »

We'll have to wait until they get back from Canada to report! Quest wasn't visible the whole time and neither was Kendal. Who knows what happened behind the scenes. Was probably easier to attack on the rooftop. I'm hoping all went smooth. 

Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #864 on: 21-Jun-11, 10:00:02 PM »

The banding went very smoothly. Quest wasn't all that aggressive.  Kendal was absent until the very end. I'll let others post the details.

Here is a Toronto CityNews video of the event: http://www.citytv.com/toronto/citynews/videos/138388
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #865 on: 21-Jun-11, 10:11:01 PM »

Thanks, Shaky!!!!

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
kat
Fledgling

Like Count: 13

View Profile
« Reply #866 on: 21-Jun-11, 10:13:29 PM »

Hello all,

I'm Kathryn and I work at Harlequin. I've been keeping your friend Carol informed of some of the goings-on through the Quest/Kendal/Harlequin saga and thought, rather than continue to read your posts anonymously, I'd jump in here!

Today was quite the exciting day! Certainly my first experience seeing an eyas up close...and I have to say, I've grown so attached to this little family that my eyes were tearing up when Harlequin first made her presence known to us all (and loudly!).

The whole process went amazingly smoothly, from what I could tell. I wasn't at the window the whole time, but the window-washing platform was raised with three workers to distract Quest and Kendal while Harlequin was removed and returned. Quest and Kendal *were not happy*. There was much fluttering about and diving and Kendal stood guard alternately on the left and right sides of the section of ledge where the scrape is. Of course, I was engaged in the weighing and banding of little Harlequin, so didn't see what was happening during all of that, but we watched Harlequin returned to the scrape (they lowered her from the roof in a bag, and the volunteers on the washing platform placed her back in the nest tray). When the washing platform was lowered again, Kendal swiftly took charge and stood guard by Harlequin. I joked that he was probably puffed up with masculine pride over the fact that *he* scared the volunteers away.  Wink

When the ropes from the washing platform were being taken away, one of the men on the roof made a sudden move, which caused Harlequin to start and she jumped back out of the nest tray. I don't like seeing her out on the ledge, but I suppose she's got to get out at some point. ?!

In any regard, this was a wonderful event. Handled very well by everyone involved. The CPF even brought a couple of educational peregrine falcons for us to visit with, plus a very rare and beautiful barn owl. This whole experience with Quest and Kendal (and now Harlequin), and the CPF, and the few of you that I briefly met at Harlequin headquarters, has turned me officially into a birder. I'm so glad Quest and Kendal chose a ledge directly opposite my window. They've brightened my days!

Cheers to all!

Oh...and here's one photo I took of Harlequin today:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tryhank/5857782157#

More to be posted soon. Smiley
dale
Falcon

Like Count: 276

View Profile WWW
« Reply #867 on: 21-Jun-11, 10:25:45 PM »

Here is a Toronto CityNews video of the event: http://www.citytv.com/toronto/citynews/videos/138388

thanks, shaky!  
the title of the video is pretty alarming - says the "baby" was BRANDED!

and lovely photo, Kat - thanks so much!!
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #868 on: 21-Jun-11, 10:32:55 PM »

The banding went very smoothly. Quest wasn't all that aggressive.  Kendal was absent until the very end. I'll let others post the details.

What a great video and so much coverage. A little Super-Star. Thanks Shaky.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #869 on: 21-Jun-11, 10:34:56 PM »

Hi Kat and WELCOME!! Thank you so much for the report. You are so lucky to have our Beautiful Quest and Your handsome Kendal and of course, little Harlequin, right outside your window. Glad your here!  clap

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 ... 206   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: