THE FORUM

24-Apr-24, 04:56:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Archer's mates  (Read 3049 times)
mldeed
Fluffball

Like Count: 9

View Profile
« on: 20-Apr-11, 08:43:02 PM »

(This topic was started on the twitter forum -- I thought this shouldn't go there, because not a direct observation, so new topic started)

My thinking is this may happen far more often than we think.  After all, how many falcons receive this degree of observation?

Second, is this possibly an adaptation to the status of peregrines?  Still not a lot of them?  Comparable to what happens after a Bait and Shoot with deer?  The does that remain start having more sets of twins and even triplets to build the population up again.  (I have witnessed this in my woods and yard.)

In any event, it's an interesting development to watch.
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 20-Apr-11, 08:52:32 PM »

We are absolutely learning something new every year.  It's a relatively tiny span of time we've had the privilege of being so close to these magnificent creatures.

I mentioned before that I wonder if it was a normal occurrence before the population was decimated.  We may only now be seeing how a healthy population behaves.  All interesting food for thought.  If there are indeed 2 nests in progress, we'll certainly see how it works out!

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
DebInTexas
Juvie

Like Count: 13

George and Gracie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20-Apr-11, 11:38:36 PM »

If Archer is going to have two families, he is gonna be one BUSY bird.  What with providing food and sharing nest sitting ... hope he has a strong stamina!
Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21-Apr-11, 07:03:23 AM »

I think also it is up to the females. Are they willing to share. As long as Archer gets the job done they seem to be. They are close enough LP and Beauty that either one could go over and kick the others tail feathers. I for one am glad that they are sharing rather than fighting. There is a species of yard bird (having a case of CRS as to exactly which) that the male has several females and nests in his territory. So this could be a natural occurrence with Pefas. We know so little.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: