THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 01:08:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ranger (2001) in Toronto  (Read 31380 times)
Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

Like Count: 283

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 03-Jan-14, 11:23:33 AM »

Ranger was her Mom's daughter...a wonderful peregrine dedicated to her mate Hunter and her city of Toronto. Fly free Ranger...you were a true "duck hawk"!
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 03-Jan-14, 11:25:40 AM »

FROM CPF

One of my absolute favorite pictures of Ranger was this one as I took it and it has a great story behind it. Linda and I were up to a local building mechanical balcony area to check on the nesting progress of Hunter and Ranger as they had a clutch of eggs on the Mount Sinai Hospital they were incubating. We went up with two gentlemen from the building management to the balcony and we were prepping these gents on the way up with tales of how aggressive and full contact Ranger was. I think by the time we got up there they were pretty spooked. We get out onto the balcony area as quietly as we could and I made my way over towards the retaining wall for a look at the nest. Just then I hear a high pitched shriek which consequently came from one of the guys and I turned around to find that I was now the only one on the balcony and the access door was closed which by the way does not open from the outside. *sigh* Oh, man... I turn back to find that Ranger was now sitting on the retaining wall about 10 feet from me huffing and puffing in an attempt to blow my house down. I backed away towards the door slowly, getting this shot as I went, and gently tapped on the door which had now opened a crack and three sets of eyes peering out at me. I squished my way in as Ranger was the kind of girl that would follow you in a door so I had to be careful not to give her an opening. A great memory. Good times Linda. Grateful for such an awesome experience. P.S. I never did get near enough to see the nest. Ranger was all over me if I did!!

Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 05-Jan-14, 01:09:38 PM »

FROM CPF

Fly free, you gorgeous falcon, every year I hoped this would be the one she had a successful hatching. sigh  Cry
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 20-Jan-14, 10:54:24 AM »

Canadian Peregrine Foundation
A report just in from Linda. On the south side of Mount Sinai Hospital she has located a single peregrine sitting in the same position as Hunter and Ranger habitually used to sit on cold days for the morning warm up. While we cannot confirm that this is in fact Hunter, there is a very good chance that it is. It looks like he is still in the area and holding on to the Mount Sinai territory on his own. When the frigid weather breaks, we will be down to the territory to see if we can locate the bird and confirm whether this is indeed Hunter. Thank you so much Linda for this important update.

patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 20-Jan-14, 07:16:44 PM »

Sad Visualizing Hunter still in the area, probably looking for and wondering about Ranger, makes my heart ache for him.  To lose a mate after being so faithful and so persistent for so long must be very hard.  I hope he does not grieve for long.  I am glad he is holding onto his territory, at least for the moment.

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 20-Jan-14, 10:47:19 PM »

I hope Hunter has a peaceful and safe remainder of his life with no battles.  yes

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
valhalla
« Reply #51 on: 21-Jan-14, 11:42:04 AM »

I hope Hunter has a peaceful and safe remainder of his life with no battles.  yes

Me, too!  Just catching up and was very saddened to read that our Duck Hunter has passed (Ranger and that duck has to be one of the great images). 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: