THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 09:48:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Im Back..an update  (Read 56974 times)
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 20-Aug-11, 07:37:02 PM »

Ei! You are to quick for me!  I just found it too!!

GMTA!   handshake I thought I remembered seeing pictures of her...

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20-Aug-11, 07:49:54 PM »

So was there anything wrong with Cheyenne? She was just chosen to be an educational falcon?

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 20-Aug-11, 07:55:32 PM »

So was there anything wrong with Cheyenne? She was just chosen to be an educational falcon?

That piece I don't recall...and you can't search CPF like you can here.  Guess we'll just have to wait for Big Frank or carly to get here...

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 20-Aug-11, 09:11:47 PM »

Thanks, Ei, for finding this.  I do remember when they posted the picture and I wondered then what was wrong for her to be an educational bird.  She's a beauty!

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 20-Aug-11, 09:35:02 PM »

This is from a post BigFrank made on Ohio board last year:

.Cheyenne is Canadian Peregrine Foundation's newest feathered educator. She came from a breeder in Alberta Canada to us last summer. She is now about 4 months old. Our staff imprinted her,raising her for the first several weeks among people. They take in everything at that age,so staff,exposed her to as much as possible,cars,crowds,wheeelchairs,children etc. Cheyenne has already done one outdoor show and at least one corporate visit of one of our sponsors. We have an education program that has visited over 16000 classrooms so far,at no cost to the schools(sponsors pay for the visits). The education program is linked directly to the cirriculum for grades 4-6. .

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 20-Aug-11, 09:39:37 PM »

This is from a post BigFrank made on Ohio board last year:

.Cheyenne is Canadian Peregrine Foundation's newest feathered educator. She came from a breeder in Alberta Canada to us last summer. She is now about 4 months old. Our staff imprinted her,raising her for the first several weeks among people. They take in everything at that age,so staff,exposed her to as much as possible,cars,crowds,wheeelchairs,children etc. Cheyenne has already done one outdoor show and at least one corporate visit of one of our sponsors. We have an education program that has visited over 16000 classrooms so far,at no cost to the schools(sponsors pay for the visits). The education program is linked directly to the cirriculum for grades 4-6. .

Oh wow, so she was raised just for that purpose. Interesting, thanks jeanne!!

BIGFRANK
« Reply #21 on: 22-Aug-11, 01:45:18 PM »

Hi gang,as mentioned Cheyenne is one of our educational birds,she is now just over one year old. She has an infected owie on her right foot. Her improvement isnt fast enough for Tracys liking so we are at CPF head office,on our way with Cheyenne back to the vet. She is showing some improvement since our first visit,this is more precautionary than anything. Will let you know soon how she is doing.
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 22-Aug-11, 03:06:33 PM »

wave Thanks Big Frank!  thumbsup

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 22-Aug-11, 03:51:16 PM »

Maybe a stupid question, but why make a perfectly healthy Peregrine educational?  Was there something wrong with her that they made her an educational bird?  ???

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 22-Aug-11, 05:24:06 PM »

Maybe a stupid question, but why make a perfectly healthy Peregrine educational?  Was there something wrong with her that they made her an educational bird?  ???

She (and Nova, I would guess) were probably hatched to be "falconer's birds" and were imprinted on humans right away, so they wouldn't be suitable for release.  Birds that are hatched in captivity with the intention of release into the wild are kept from seeing the humans feeding them. 

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 22-Aug-11, 05:33:18 PM »

She (and Nova, I would guess) were probably hatched to be "falconer's birds" and were imprinted on humans right away, so they wouldn't be suitable for release.  Birds that are hatched in captivity with the intention of release into the wild are kept from seeing the humans feeding them. 

I guess I always figured educational birds were injured in some way.  If they were hatched to be Falconer birds then why isn't she one? Falconry birds are imprinted aren't they-seeing as they're closely associated with their handler?

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 22-Aug-11, 05:56:46 PM »

I guess I always figured educational birds were injured in some way.  If they were hatched to be Falconer birds then why isn't she one? Falconry birds are imprinted aren't they-seeing as they're closely associated with their handler?

Could be they had more eggs successfully hatch than they had legal buyers for.  Probably other reasons I'm not coming up with right now...

carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 22-Aug-11, 05:59:09 PM »

Falconer's birds are imprinted but it's a different relationship entirely.  They are trained to hunt for sport and they are conditioned using 'food' as a rewards.  They are kept 'hungry' so that they'll return to their owner when they're allowed to fly - its a precise science to keep them at an acceptable weight so they hunt well, develop strong muscles and return home.  

With educational birds, they are trained to be used to people and they are treated more like family, there is no keeping the bird 'hungry' to get him to do things.
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 22-Aug-11, 06:08:20 PM »

Falconer's birds are imprinted but it's a different relationship entirely.  They are trained to hunt for sport and they are conditioned using 'food' as a rewards.  They are kept 'hungry' so that they'll return to their owner when they're allowed to fly - its a precise science to keep them at an acceptable weight so they hunt well, develop strong muscles and return home.  

With educational birds, they are trained to be used to people and they are treated more like family, there is no keeping the bird 'hungry' to get him to do things.

Very true-educational birds are trained entirely differently.  Just speculating that might have been the intent when the eyases were bred & hatched but they were then designated educational.

carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 22-Aug-11, 06:38:22 PM »

Sorry was cooking dinner and got distracted.  I know the Alberta facility breeds falcons for falconers and for hack and release programs - some provinces out West still do hack and release as their population is still endangered in some areas. 

Likely they do have 'extra' ones so they could go to education programs if there was no one to claim them.  I am not sure what they would do if they couldn't find homes for them all...or how that works.  I don't expect they'd just breed birds and hope that someone wanted them because at some point they would either become imprinted or you'd have to release them and hope they could survive on their own.  Perhaps they are bred to order and then maybe something happens and a bird becomes available that has no designated home. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: