THE FORUM

19-Apr-24, 03:30:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Im Back..an update  (Read 57485 times)
BIGFRANK
« on: 05-Aug-11, 03:35:32 PM »

Hi gang,Ive been away from computer access for awhile. Im in Schomberg Ontario,staying with Tracy since June. We are driving each other nuts,and I will soon be heading back to the city,when I can find an appartment. This summer we were run nuts as were most volunteers,doing multiple watches. I think we took some part in at least 5. On top of that duties at the CPF Raptor Centre have kept us very busy. The day we had that 50c or 121f day with the humidity,we were very concerned about our educational birds at the barn. Tracy,myself and Marion came up with a plan. We moved some birds to more shaded pens,others to indoor pens with fans blowing  on them,and Oscar was in a carrier all day with a fan on him. Tracy had to man the Brampton fledge watch,so she left me at the barn to check on the birds. Each hour I checked them,to see if they were suffering any ill effects from the heat..were they panting? drooping wings too much...in distress?? After each hour I would call a nervous "raptor Mom" Tracy and let her know how everyone was doing. Thanks to advanced planning and the birds doing their part to stay cool(taking baths,hiding in the shade) they all made it through just fine. Once Tracy finished her shift at the Brampton watch,she returned to the barn and our plan then was if any bird started to show signs of problems,her car would be the cooling centre,with A/C blasting.
  Our next adventure was a Wasp problem at the barn. Tuesday on Tracy's day off of her day job,she and I got inspired by a "Billy The Exterminator" marathon,and dealt with the Yellow Jacket problem. Wasp nests were in most of the bird's pens and they were being bothered often. There was the chance they could be stung. Using just Dawn dishsoap,and water,we killed nearly 30 wasp nests that were active. We chose a rainy day which meant all of the adults were in the nests. We didnt want to use poisons in/near the pens and a 1/3 Dawn,2/3 water mix did the trick. The wasps immediately started to die,and we went into spray and stomp mode. We had moved out the birds so there was no danger to them from the wasps,or us from the birds.  We also took the opportunity to rake(clean) and powerspray the pens too. Everyones pens are looking perty now. So 8 hours later,on her day off,Tracy decided we were done for the day. We gave everyone nice cold fresh water(including ourselves) as the next day the water system was to be off for repairs.
  So..we are busy busy,whether there are fledge watches or not! Soon the educational program will fire up! My pals are planning to run the Rosetta McClain Raptor Watch in my abscence,or until I return to Toronto. Take care gang and I will be checking in every few days. BIGFRANK
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 05-Aug-11, 03:52:57 PM »

Wow, awesome what you 2 are doing for the Barn Birds!! Lots of work and SWEAT!! Thanks so much for the post and glad all is going well with you BF!! It's been a HOT Summer and I'm sure all the Raptors thank you also. Good job and really enjoy your posts!!  clap Dawn and water huh?? Bobbie from Ireland will like this one!!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05-Aug-11, 04:16:19 PM »

hello Big Frank I've been wondering how you and Tracy were getting along. Haven't heard anything in so long. You CPFers are the best the way you take care of your birds. I'm proud to be an official CPF volunteer with a badge to prove it! Good job by you and Tracy. clap Please tell her and any others you see I said hi.  foxbinocs

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05-Aug-11, 04:32:48 PM »

BigFrank,  you all are awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!  I think there should be a reality show about the CPF!!!!!!!  So glad to hear from you!!!!!  Best of luck apt hunting (maybe you can find one with a nesting peregrine)!and the best to Tracy!!!!

P.S.  I am still laughing about the Billy the Exterminator reference!!!! You guys are too much!

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05-Aug-11, 05:59:02 PM »

Hi Big Frank!  Happy to hear from you Big Frank!  Glad you, Tracy and the others (including the birds!) are surviving this very warm Summer.

Please say hi to Tracy for me.   wave

Take care,
Carol P.

Peregrines know no borders.....
BIGFRANK
« Reply #5 on: 15-Aug-11, 03:54:00 PM »

Thanks for the kind words folks,Ive passed on your hellos. Tracy and I worked out a plan and I'll be staying with her till the spring now. Plenty more adventures to be had. This weeks...2 weeks back,Tracy noticed a small mark on Cheyenne's foot. She kept watch and realized it was getting more serious,so called our avian vet. Unfortunately he was on holidays for 2 weeks. For 2 weeks Tracy nursed Cheyenne the best she knew. Tracy put a medication on her sore foot,started glove feeding her every night(fed her food while Cheyenne sat on Tracy's gloved hand) and made arrangements for the perches in Cheyenne's outdoor pen to be changed.  For those 2 weeks Tracy was very worried,a Mom's worry...Today we took Cheyenne to the vet finally,much to Tracy's relief. Cheyenne's foot does have a problem,but we got the medications and she is on the road to recovery. The vet,said Tracy's fast notice and action to treat Cheyenne probably averted the problem turning into something far more serious. CPF is lucky to have such a vigilant ,knowledgable and capable volunteer!!,more than once Tracy's "Mama bird" instincts and observations  have allowed our birds to remain healthy and happy!
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15-Aug-11, 04:35:02 PM »

Thanks for the kind words folks,Ive passed on your hellos. Tracy and I worked out a plan and I'll be staying with her till the spring now. Plenty more adventures to be had. This weeks...2 weeks back,Tracy noticed a small mark on Cheyenne's foot. She kept watch and realized it was getting more serious,so called our avian vet. Unfortunately he was on holidays for 2 weeks. For 2 weeks Tracy nursed Cheyenne the best she knew. Tracy put a medication on her sore foot,started glove feeding her every night(fed her food while Cheyenne sat on Tracy's gloved hand) and made arrangements for the perches in Cheyenne's outdoor pen to be changed.  For those 2 weeks Tracy was very worried,a Mom's worry...Today we took Cheyenne to the vet finally,much to Tracy's relief. Cheyenne's foot does have a problem,but we got the medications and she is on the road to recovery. The vet,said Tracy's fast notice and action to treat Cheyenne probably averted the problem turning into something far more serious. CPF is lucky to have such a vigilant ,knowledgable and capable volunteer!!,more than once Tracy's "Mama bird" instincts and observations  have allowed our birds to remain healthy and happy!

notworthy Tracy absolutely exudes love and compassion for the birds. It shows just by the way she talks about them. I  am very happy to know her and the rest of the CPF peeps for you are all exceptional caregivers of wildlife from what I can see.  clap

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15-Aug-11, 05:01:49 PM »

Hi Frank..glad to hear you've got things sorted and have a place to rest your head for the winter.  Tracy is awesome, glad to hear Cheyenne is on the road to recovery!
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15-Aug-11, 06:20:58 PM »

Hey BF, way to go! You all are awesome at CPF!!  thumbsup

BIGFRANK
« Reply #9 on: 20-Aug-11, 01:32:54 PM »

Cheyenne was into the vet on Monday. She was given 2 meds,which Tracy has administered daily and has begun to show improvement. We are both relieved. Oscar was in to have his beak and talons trimmed. While at the CPF Raptor Centre,we observed 28 Common Nighthawks and a Merlin,both excellent sightings for our area.
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20-Aug-11, 02:37:35 PM »

I thought Cheyenne was the male?????

If you're thinking of Seneca's former mate, he's in rehab in Ohio.  This Cheyenne is in Canada although I don't know what kind of bird it is or what its problem is.  Maybe someone can enlighten us both!

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20-Aug-11, 04:16:04 PM »

If you're thinking of Seneca's former mate, he's in rehab in Ohio.  This Cheyenne is in Canada although I don't know what kind of bird it is or what its problem is.  Maybe someone can enlighten us both!

Well, the CPF education page is a bit outdated-not complaining, mind you-watching over the zillion Toronto birds is certainly priority.  I don't see Cheyenne there, so I guess she was a more recent arrival than Nova in 2009. 

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20-Aug-11, 04:38:02 PM »

Well, the CPF education page is a bit outdated-not complaining, mind you-watching over the zillion Toronto birds is certainly priority.  I
don't see Cheyenne there, so I guess she was a more recent arrival than Nova in 2009. 

Thanks, Ei-  I thought that you might be the one who knew.  Guess we'll have to wait to see what someone from there says.

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20-Aug-11, 07:34:10 PM »

Found it!

Cheyenne Visits CPF Office
December 27, 2010 - International, National and Local News

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2010/12/sightings/3758/Check out BigFrank and 4 month old Cheyenne. What a sweetie!

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20-Aug-11, 07:35:24 PM »

Ei! You are to quick for me!  I just found it too!!

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: