THE FORUM

20-Apr-24, 08:52:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Im Back..an update  (Read 57516 times)
BIGFRANK
« Reply #150 on: 27-Feb-12, 06:28:38 PM »

Im back from the show. Its Monday evening and Im still recovering from a week in Ottawa 4 days of which we spent at The Ottawa Sportsmans Show. It went great,the folks of Ottawa were very generous and loved our feathered educators. Ive posted a short report and a few photos on the CPF page. I will post some here tomorrow. While in Ottawa we also went and checked up on the pair of Peregrine Falcons that live in downtown Ottawa. We managed to see one of them flying high above the nest building area! That is at the downtown Delta Centre Hotel. Tomahawk our Redtailed Hawk made his show debut and did wonderfully! Seamus our Barn Owl and Alexandra our Great Horned Owl were hits and everyone marvelled upon viewing how beautiful both Nova and Oscar our Peregrine Falcons were, not to mention that they could achieve speeds of over 200miles per hour in a dive! Wee cute Kyla the Kestrel stole hearts.
  The Ontario Provincial Police had a booth next to us. I couldnt resist asking for this picture to be taken. Later the officer came over for a photo with one of our birds! http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2012/02/sightings/cpf-at-ottawa-sportsmans-show/
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: 27-Feb-12, 07:17:37 PM »

Glad you had a good time at the show!  I want one of those speed limit signs!  clap

And looking good Frank...keep up the good work!

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: 27-Feb-12, 07:19:03 PM »

lol lol Great photo Frank!  Good to see the men in blue have a sense of humour  silly  Sounds like you all had a great time  thumbsup
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: 27-Feb-12, 07:44:52 PM »

Hey Joyce they put your speed limit sign up! Way to go Frank, thanks for the report.  wave

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
BIGFRANK
« Reply #154 on: 27-Feb-12, 07:47:12 PM »

The sign is usually at CPF Head Office. It worked out perfect that we had the sign and were right beside the Ontario Provincial Police Booth. They said there was no way they could catch a Peregrine on radar or with their car! They were good men, we enjoyed their close company in the short time we got to know them.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: 27-Feb-12, 08:44:13 PM »

What fun you had. Your looking real good BF.... clap What's Kyla's story? What a cutie. Thanks

BIGFRANK
« Reply #156 on: 27-Feb-12, 09:31:41 PM »

As per the CPF webpage:
Kyla is wild produced American Kestrel (also known as the "Sparrow Hawk"). She was found injured, and was taken into a rehabilitation facility and was found to have neck trauma. She recovered from her injuries after an extended stay and treatment, but sadly, was in captivity too long and was inadvertently human imprinted in the process. As with all human imprints they would not survive in the wild, as they have no natural association with their own kind and will believe they are human for the rest of their lives. Kyla lacks life skills taught by parents and would be unable to survive, thus she was deemed non-releasable. Her fate, as with most human imprints, was to be euthanized. Fortunately, the Canadian Peregrine Foundation was contacted and were asked if we would take her as an educator. She was taken in for an evaluation period and we were able to confirm she was indeed, a human imprint. Her delightful personality and demeanor certainly demonstrated she would make an excellent educational bird. She is an excellent flier and clearly enjoys performing. She has been working with us at outreach events like the Toronto Sportsmen Show. She is well liked by all that meet her, and she too, enjoys meeting new people.
  Ive noticed questions frequently come up about our educational birds,CPF has a section on the website with information about our feathered educators at http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/programs/education/edfoto.html We are working on updating the website so all current birds can be found. U can also find the feathered educators on facebook at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Canadian-Peregrine-Foundation/149280041803853?sk=wall#!/pages/Canadian-Peregrine-Foundation/149280041803853?sk=info
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: 27-Feb-12, 10:08:31 PM »

Thanks and DUH, I've been on that page many times and probably read about her many times but had a Brain, well you know the rest!  stupid

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: 27-Feb-12, 10:16:35 PM »

I see they finally caught up with you Big Frank!   lol

Glad the show went well and Kyla is a lovely Kestrel.  It was fun meeting her and all the other CPF birds last week.

Wish I lived closer.  I would love to help out more.

Peregrines know no borders.....
BIGFRANK
« Reply #159 on: 28-Feb-12, 05:49:35 PM »

Here are a few of the photos. Alexandra The Great Horned Owl,Nova The Peregrine Falcon and Tomahawk the Redtailed Hawk Enjoy!
BIGFRANK
« Reply #160 on: 28-Feb-12, 05:52:37 PM »

More pics from Ottawa Sportsmens Show
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: 28-Feb-12, 06:02:43 PM »

Nova is so cute! Then again, they all are. Thanks for sharing your pics BF! (You look pretty dapper yourself), way to go!!!

carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: 28-Feb-12, 06:46:05 PM »

Great photos Frank  Nova sure has matured since I held him as a juvie at the Sportsman Show!   I don't know who was more nervous over that back then, him or me!  Of course Mark telling me he'd have to kill me if I let him loose might have had something to do with that  lol
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: 28-Feb-12, 11:09:47 PM »

Grrrrrreat pics Frank! flash Thanks for sharing!!! wave

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: 29-Feb-12, 06:32:17 AM »

My favorite baby picture of Nova!  baby

large version at the link

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: