THE FORUM

27-Apr-24, 07:00:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So, What Does Everyone Think about the Rochester Falcons Situation?  (Read 26133 times)
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 10-Aug-11, 11:03:45 PM »

When I worked at the accounting firm, I had the Kodak camera feed on in the background all day, it was my stress relief.  I shed tears on my desk when Mariah was hurt and still taking care of her babies, and Kaver was taking care of them all.
Now, I don't have that access at work, but I do read all the posts, it's just not the same size part of my day.  However, I must say that the *people* here are as big a draw to me now as the soap opera actions of the Falcons.  WE will never know what became of Kaver, but since Mariah was banded, at least we may someday know her fate.  Meanwhile, we can follow some of her descendants, which is great too...
Carol
WV

I think many of us shed a tear in public that year Carol, my friends wonder about me sometimes.   laugh

and I, like you, no longer have access to the internet during the day.  It's a bummer, but that's the rules. 

It's truly amazing that there are so many M&K kids out there for us to see and follow.  Including Beauty and Archer's young ones, Callidora & Jemison.  Quite amazing!   happy

Peregrines know no borders.....
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11-Aug-11, 12:33:17 AM »

Well, you all know me after all these years...excessive anthropomorphizing tends to get my hackles up...
I cannot find it in me to feel sorry for Beauty, Archer or Unity because I don't believe they feel sorry for themselves....
I feel very sorry for US that there weren't any fluffballs this year...

What she said!

Seriously, I'm pretty much with Ei on this...it's too bad there weren't young peregrines in Rochester to watch, both for the sake of the local watchers and the remote ones, but I don't feel comfortable projecting my feelings on Beauty, Archer, or Unity.  Also like Ei, it's been hard-going lately, I've lost both parents and a job in the last two years and my worry list is full enough.

Patti

Patti,  I am so very sorry!!!

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11-Aug-11, 12:38:55 AM »

I've been pretty absent this year and I do miss having young falcons (though that first week of fledging is just scared blue).  I really am not bothered by anthropomorphizing.  I probably lean in that direction at times.  Who knows what animals feel and think?  But that said, I think it is awesome that we have falcons though this one male- two females situation coupled with no babies at either site is perplexing and sad.  It is just absolutely awesome that we know where so many of our M/K offspring are.  I only wish we would know where Mariah is.  I miss her like crazy.  And Kaver, who I miss and wish was banded

That said, the one wonderful constant is the watchers and that makes any gathering (whether it be in a parking lot or a restaurant) really fun!

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
valhalla
« Reply #18 on: 11-Aug-11, 05:38:06 AM »

Mariah and Kaver were very special and will never be replaced - a very large part of me left with them.  

My original purpose of joining the KFalcon Group was to learn, AND learn I have.  One of the delightful sidebars of that learning has been Mirta's wealth of knowledge about bats!  I liked bats before, but thanks to Mirta, I've learned that they are "cute" and go through rehab, too.

Back to the Falcons...  Like many of you, I believe that A, B, & U are involved in something that happens far more often than we know.  Add to the recent recovery/rebound of the species (now in urban environments in addition to the traditional cliffs and ledges) and there are a LOT of predators out there - many competing for the same food source.  Is this part of their internal programming to address their hormones, but prevent adding to the predator competition?  Don't know, but I don't think the events of this season were accidental.  Add to the failure of many nests in the Lake Ontario region, detailed by Mark Nash, and I think Rochester's "plight" was a part of the whole.

As for my viewing any of the current 3 with affection?  Not going to happen!  Archer is a hound-dog and from the get-go demonstrated that he liked "variety".  So be it!  I have to remind myself that these are birds, but Beauty should have kicked his feathered backside to NJ!
dbishop
Eyas

Like Count: 11

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 11-Aug-11, 08:33:38 AM »

I've been pretty absent this year and I do miss having young falcons (though that first week of fledging is just scared blue).  I really am not bothered by anthropomorphizing.  I probably lean in that direction at times.  Who knows what animals feel and think? 

This is the basic problem here.   As people we tend to assign emotions to animals.  I have some cats (house only, the only wild animal they get to catch are files).   Their emotions/wants/needs are VERY different from ours.

Having said that, one day a few years ago I had an office on the top of building 82 (Kodak research complex on lake ave).  Soon after Mariah got kicked out of her territory in downtown she started being a regular around the research labs.   One day, just outside my window, a pigeon exploded.   Mariah making a meal out of a flying rat.   Seeing that made me smile.

But that said, I think it is awesome that we have falcons though this one male- two females situation coupled with no babies at either site is perplexing and sad.  It is just absolutely awesome that we know where so many of our M/K offspring are.  I only wish we would know where Mariah is.  I miss her like crazy.  And Kaver, who I miss and wish was banded

Last I saw of Mariah was several years ago now.

That said, the one wonderful constant is the watchers and that makes any gathering (whether it be in a parking lot or a restaurant) really fun!

To me, this is the cool thing about this list.   We have a neat little community.  I just wish I could participate more.   I've been lurking on this SIG (and previous versions of it) for at least 10 years now.
Dot_Forrester
Tiercel

Like Count: 50

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 11-Aug-11, 10:34:35 AM »

I love this board. I have learned so much about falcons, bats, other birds, and many other creatures from all the many postings. I am a bit distressed by the lack of empathy for our newest falcons from so many members of this group, and I can understand that. Part of it is missing Mariah and Kaver, who gave us many wonderful years. Part of it is not having any chicks to watch. I think we gloss over the fact that falcons are part of the wild kingdom. All wild creatures have two main priorities - survival and procreation of the species. I have been an active bluebirder for years and closely followed the wild wolf pack in upstate NY when I lived there. I have seen bluebird chicks taken by predators.  I have seen both male and female bluebirds oust and maim another of their own sex in order to claim a mate and/or a better nesting site. I have seen wolves hunt in cooperatively in packs for efficiency but seen the same wolves maim or kill the alpha male or female when that animal is too old or weak to keep its place at the top. I have seen adult wolves kill the weakest of their cubs. I've had to learn how to balance out the good and the bad when I'm observing nature, and to remember that it is what it is.

Mariah could not match Beauty's youth and strength and would have been killed had Carol not stepped in. Archer, who was Mariah's mate at the time, joined Beauty in her effort to kill Mariah. Archer now has found two females willing to be his mate. Sooner or later there will probably be a lethal battle to determine whether Beauty or Unity rules the skies near Kodak.  Does this mean our falcons are horrible creatures? I don't think that's fair. Remember Beauty and Archer giving us so many glimpses of tenderness while raising their two daughters last year?  Peregrines incorporate both these extremes, like it or not.

We humans are animals too, and currently at the top of the heap. We have managed to overlay our animal instincts with concepts like "conscience" or "emotions". We tend to believe in love, goodness, faithfulness to one's mate, and all the rest of it. That's a very good thing for a cooperative stable society but it sure is a far cry from having to survive on one's own in a hostile environment. If we were back in caveman days, we too would no doubt be fighting viciously to ensure our survival and to attract the strongest possible mate. So Archer is a two-timing creep? No, he's a male who is lucky enough to have found two receptive females. The concept of "two-timing" is just not there for him, nor should it be.  Archer turned on Mariah and tried to help a new female kill her. So he's a murderer with no loyalty?  To our way of thinking, yes.  But what Archer recognized was his chance to mate with a newer stronger female who would produce stronger chicks.  Are Beauty and Unity jealous when they watch Archer go to another site? Do they sit sadly awaiting his return?  We don't know. Somehow I doubt it. These falcons are only doing what they have done for thousands of years. Do we really have the right to say that their actions are wrong or evil? Do we dare to judge a wild creature after the toxic wreck we humans have made of the land, sea, and air? Rochester Falcon Cam provides a wonderful opportunity to peek in on falcon lives. I think we should enjoy and learn, not condemn. I too miss Mariah and Kaver and have found the events of the last three years very difficult. I agree that it just isn't the same any more. But please, don't judge Beauty, Unity, and Archer by our often-flawed human standards and emotions. That only makes things harder for me to bear.

Dot in PA
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: 11-Aug-11, 01:02:53 PM »

Christiane posted this on kfalconcam:

Yes, it's been a sad year to not see babies being lovingly taken care off and
raised to be on their own. Maybe it was just the year, but I will be waiting
with hope and a bit of anxiety next spring to see who is paired with whom. I'm
hoping it will work out without any confrontations. Maybe the opposing parties
will learn to live with the situation, but, maybe that Mr. "T" will come back
and woo Ms. Beauty again or that other falcon that I thought just might, maybe,
be a much older Kaver come back. I guess we'll never know. . .He was unbanded
like "T" was. We'll all be waiting.

Before I forget again, the hubby and I were riding past 390 and 590 on the west
side of town near the canal west of Mt. Read Blvd. a couple of days ago and I
saw this beautiful bird that I thought was a peregrine on a lamp post with a
good size white breast and falcon shaped-head but we were not close enough to
say that it was. I was hoping with a fleeting thought that maybe it could be
Mariah. . . Maybe someone else who might be in the area could check the lamp
posts or area near there--maybe they will be lucky. Have to admit, too, that I
miss Mariah, but have learned to appreciate Beauty; she, too, is a very caring
mother, just like Mariah and S2. Beauty is a gorgeous bird and fun to watch
the expressions on her face and interactions with Archer. Maybe she and Unity
will have 6 eggs apiece; that will keep everybody watching!! Christiane
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 11-Aug-11, 09:53:36 PM »

Thanks to everyone that has posted so far.  It's so nice to read what everyone has to say about what's been going on here in Rochester.  We are such a diverse community, and the one thing that holds us together is our love of these beautiful creatures.  Please continue to post what you think about the Rochester Falcons situation.  We would love to hear from you all.   wave     

margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 11-Aug-11, 11:21:40 PM »

I love Dot's comments. Well said, Dot!    I sense much emotion from everyone who has posted here.
It has been a difficult couple of years.   I "lurked" on the old kfalconcam and followed for a long time, but fell into "PeFa addiction"  in 2007-2008.    The year Quest and her other sibs were hatched was a thrilling year, and I even ventured downtown for the first time when they were flying the gorge and at KT.   I found 2009 a very difficult year -- as so many of you long time watchers did - with the dismantling of the  nest box, Kaver not returning and Mariah's injury.  We all shed many tears. 
I agree with Dot and others that we all lost something when we "lost" Mariah and Kaver.    I still believe that Mariah is somewhere here...I too, thought I saw a Pefa over 590 by St Anne's this spring.  I still believe in Mariah despite her age.  She was one smart, tough, feisty falcon. 
Archer and Beauty  have been confusing, interesting, maddening, but fun to watch.   I loved watching Callidora and Jemison last year, and was thrilled to witness Callidora fledge and would love to know where they are.
The big joy  was Quest!   This was a thrill this year.  I have been a fan of Quest since her hatch,and followed her faithfully since 2008.  To see Quest and Harlequin and the "circle of life"  perhaps brings us closure as well as joy.   To be able to see Linn -- who resembles Mariah so much  -- is also a joy.
I have learned so much about our falcons, and yes, it is an interesting crew who watch and post here.  So we are not just learning about Pefas.
You watchers on the scene ---Carol, MAK, Joyce, Dana, Brian , and Shaky who keeps it all going, and all the rest of you!   ...You have my utmost respect and gratitude  (and envy)...you are out there, rain or shine, snow, hail, rain, winds, darkness and Rochester weather is rough! 

Each year brings new events, so "hope springs eternal".  Perhaps Mr. T will arrive to keep Beauty company this winter.  Since B has been pretty cool to A this year, perhaps she will be more accepting of Mr. T's advances this year. 

Think eggs and eyases for 2012!               
chlosmom
Juvie

Like Count: 12

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 12-Aug-11, 12:44:32 AM »

i've read  the above and must agree--as Ei said much of the sadness is for ourselves---beauty, archer and unity are peregrines not humans--they intrinsicly understand that nature is nature--not always kind, and their destinies are to live as the peregrines they are, free and wild---certainly nature seemed cruel this year, yet glorious as well as we watched Quest, Kendal, and baby Harlie---nature offers us no promises, just hope--and that is what I'll hold on to for next year----from callidora, jemison--to this year--i want to thank you all for
your helping me to learn more and for sharing this incredible journey w/me  heart heart heart
valhalla
« Reply #25 on: 12-Aug-11, 05:05:07 AM »

Just one more thought...

Rochester's "lack-luster" year gave all of us the time to pay attention to Quest and Harlie.  Think about it  Wink
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: 12-Aug-11, 06:43:22 AM »

...and Shaky who keeps it all going...             

There are many dedicated people who keep it all going.

I just fill in the cracks.

Bonnie
Tiercel

Like Count: 45

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: 12-Aug-11, 10:13:23 AM »

Like Shaky said,

"There are many dedicated people who keep it all going.

I just fill in the cracks."

It is really about the Rochester Falcon Folks.  Just think what an entertaining year it has been on this forum and that's without fledglings in Rochester.  I absolutely had to check out the falcon soap opera every day.  Little did you guys know you had a real romance novel brewing in Toronto.  I had hoped to get up there in July, but life got in the way.  (I really do go up to see the fledglings.)  And I LOVE visiting with everyone.  You all seem to be so happy to see anyone who posts or watches the forum.  The Genesee River that flows through the center of town is quite beautiful as is Lake Ontario.

Trust me, the falcon fledglings will be there in abundance next year.  Don't forget, you have three relatively young falcons determining territories and pecking order.  Let's keep our fingers crossed and our eyes to the skies and on the internet.

“No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wingsâ€
William Blake
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 12-Aug-11, 05:45:57 PM »

...and Shaky who keeps it all going...             

There are many dedicated people who keep it all going.

I just fill in the cracks.

Yes!  Shaky is the SPACKLE that binds us together.   2funny

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 12-Aug-11, 05:48:16 PM »

Like Shaky said,

"There are many dedicated people who keep it all going.

I just fill in the cracks."

It is really about the Rochester Falcon Folks.  Just think what an entertaining year it has been on this forum and that's without fledglings in Rochester.  I absolutely had to check out the falcon soap opera every day.  Little did you guys know you had a real romance novel brewing in Toronto.  I had hoped to get up there in July, but life got in the way.  (I really do go up to see the fledglings.)  And I LOVE visiting with everyone.  You all seem to be so happy to see anyone who posts or watches the forum.  The Genesee River that flows through the center of town is quite beautiful as is Lake Ontario.

Trust me, the falcon fledglings will be there in abundance next year.  Don't forget, you have three relatively young falcons determining territories and pecking order.  Let's keep our fingers crossed and our eyes to the skies and on the internet.

We missed you too this year Bonnie!   wave

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: