THE FORUM

21-Sep-24, 06:49:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So, What Does Everyone Think about the Rochester Falcons Situation?  (Read 29881 times)
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« on: 10-Aug-11, 05:41:55 PM »

I've been reading the comments here and on Face Book about what has happened this year with "our" Falcons.  Now that the season, as it was, is over.  Two females, one male and no young.  Not a great situation, but it is what it is.  None of us would have chosen for this to happen, but it did.

Many comments say that they are sorry for Beauty, but not Archer & Unity.  Others are sorry for both Beauty and Unity.

Personally, I feel sorry for both Beauty & Unity and even Archer, who is only doing what he is driven to do.  Am I happy about it?  Of course not.   Sad

Also, we lost many members when we lost Mariah in a battle with Beauty.  I've had conversations with many of you about this.  I wasn't happy about the situation, but I have come to love and respect Beauty over the past couple years.  Loved her and Archer's young, Callidora & Jemison.   I do not blame her for doing what she did, for being a Peregrine Falcon.

When S2 took over the nest from Ma and became Pa's mate, the old KFalconcam board exploded with some pretty bad stuff.  Now, we all cheer her on.  Hoping that she gets well and returns to Pa.

So, what's on everyone's mind about this situation?  Let's have an open discussion about this.  I am forever curious.   happy  
« Last Edit: 10-Aug-11, 05:52:59 PM by Carol P. » Logged

Peregrines know no borders.....
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 10-Aug-11, 05:55:18 PM »

I just like watching falcons and I love them all!  heart

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10-Aug-11, 05:58:08 PM »

I just like watching falcons and I love them all!  heart

Me too MAK, me too.   happy

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 315

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10-Aug-11, 06:30:08 PM »

Well, you all know me after all these years...excessive anthropomorphizing tends to get my hackles up.  While I freely admit to AWWW-ing and  wub2 wub2 ing along with everyone else, I cannot find it in me to feel sorry for Beauty, Archer or Unity because I don't believe they feel sorry for themselves.  They're just doing what they do...being peregrines.  Look at Ranger & Hunter.  They've been together for 10 or 11 (?) years and not a single eyas to show for it.  Yet they stay together.  They're content with their lives...who am I to second guess them?

Perhaps-no, not perhaps, we WERE-spoiled by so many years of success.  I think what we're seeing now is much more common than we realize.  I feel very sorry for US that there weren't any fluffballs this year and I have shed quite a few tears over it...but the tears are for ME, not them.  This year has...not been a great one for me in many ways. I really really hope there is some...I don't even know what the word would be...resolution seems wrong because there's really no conflict.  Beauty drew the territory line and neither has crossed it since that we've seen.  Equilibrium maybe?  Settling in so they can each succeed?  Whatever the right word is, I hope we see it next year.  I hope I have more of a chance to bond with Unity next year too.

Meanwhile, I am eternally grateful for having any peregrines to watch.  And for finding these peregrines to watch.  And the friendships that have come with them.  And I do love them all.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10-Aug-11, 06:42:25 PM »

All I know is I wanted to move to Rochester and Ed said NO!!! That's how much I love Peregrines! Nuff said!  Sad

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10-Aug-11, 06:44:06 PM »

Well said Ei.  I really do think that this has been a year of "balance" between two territorial females that just happen to have the same mate.  They seemed to feel each other out and maybe "except" the situation just a little bit in the end.  Certainly not in time for either to have successfully had young.  There was a little pushing back and forth between Beauty & Unity.  Feeling out boundaries.  Unity entered Beauty's territory with a witnessed battle on the Kodak Tower.  Beauty was seen at Kodak Park once.

Let's hope that next year will be successful, either with one male or two (preferably two!).  We'll all just have to wait to see what happens when Archer migrates.  This may be a very interesting Winter for the Falcon Flakes.   natale3  
« Last Edit: 10-Aug-11, 07:01:07 PM by Carol P. » Logged

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10-Aug-11, 06:44:49 PM »

All I know is I wanted to move to Rochester and Ed said NO!!! That's how much I love Peregrines! Nuff said!  Sad

Ah, poor Donna.  We would love to have you here.   wave

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 315

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10-Aug-11, 07:12:31 PM »

Just for the record, Donna-you're not nuts!  As the uncertainty of my current work situation continues to brew I'm finding myself looking at want ads in Rochester as much as I'm looking around here...

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10-Aug-11, 08:51:23 PM »

Just for the record, Donna-you're not nuts!  As the uncertainty of my current work situation continues to brew I'm finding myself looking at want ads in Rochester as much as I'm looking around here...

Cool!

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Patti from Kentucky
Tiercel

Like Count: 58

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 10-Aug-11, 09:08:54 PM »

Well, you all know me after all these years...excessive anthropomorphizing tends to get my hackles up...
I cannot find it in me to feel sorry for Beauty, Archer or Unity because I don't believe they feel sorry for themselves....
I feel very sorry for US that there weren't any fluffballs this year...

What she said!

Seriously, I'm pretty much with Ei on this...it's too bad there weren't young peregrines in Rochester to watch, both for the sake of the local watchers and the remote ones, but I don't feel comfortable projecting my feelings on Beauty, Archer, or Unity.  Also like Ei, it's been hard-going lately, I've lost both parents and a job in the last two years and my worry list is full enough.

Patti
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10-Aug-11, 09:21:24 PM »

Well, you all know me after all these years...excessive anthropomorphizing tends to get my hackles up...
I cannot find it in me to feel sorry for Beauty, Archer or Unity because I don't believe they feel sorry for themselves....
I feel very sorry for US that there weren't any fluffballs this year...

What she said!

Seriously, I'm pretty much with Ei on this...it's too bad there weren't young peregrines in Rochester to watch, both for the sake of the local watchers and the remote ones, but I don't feel comfortable projecting my feelings on Beauty, Archer, or Unity.  Also like Ei, it's been hard-going lately, I've lost both parents and a job in the last two years and my worry list is full enough.

Patti

So sorry for your losses Patty. 

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10-Aug-11, 09:22:23 PM »

Ei, Donna, anyone else that would like to move to Rochester.  You're all welcome!   clap

Dot_Forrester
Tiercel

Like Count: 50

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10-Aug-11, 09:44:11 PM »

I am not happy with the situation either- two females, one male, no young, potential fatal territorial battles. But all truly wild creatures carry on with their lives as they have been programmed to do for ages. My pleasure is to watch and learn the intricacies of their lives. Any sadness I feel, and I do indeed feel sadness, has to do with wanting an outcome that increases the number of peregrines. I love seeing how they interact with their mates and how they nurture their young and teach them how to survive. That is unfortunately not always possible. Beauty, Unity, Archer, and Mariah are living their own peregrine lives. Just because I don't always like the results doesn't mean the birds are evil or unhappy. It means they are wild peregrine falcons, nothing more and nothing less. There have been so many sad stories from this year's nesting season, and I wish it were not so. Still, I feel privileged to have the opportunity to look in on them. I give my most sincere thanks to all the watchers who keep me informed even though the news may not be good.

Dot in PA
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10-Aug-11, 09:54:27 PM »

I am not happy with the situation either- two females, one male, no young, potential fatal territorial battles. But all truly wild creatures carry on with their lives as they have been programmed to do for ages. My pleasure is to watch and learn the intricacies of their lives. Any sadness I feel, and I do indeed feel sadness, has to do with wanting an outcome that increases the number of peregrines. I love seeing how they interact with their mates and how they nurture their young and teach them how to survive. That is unfortunately not always possible. Beauty, Unity, Archer, and Mariah are living their own peregrine lives. Just because I don't always like the results doesn't mean the birds are evil or unhappy. It means they are wild peregrine falcons, nothing more and nothing less. There have been so many sad stories from this year's nesting season, and I wish it were not so. Still, I feel privileged to have the opportunity to look in on them. I give my most sincere thanks to all the watchers who keep me informed even though the news may not be good.

Dot in PA

You're very welcome Dot.  We all do it with much pleasure.   happy

Tokira
Juvie

Like Count: 142

Kaetzchen Gabriella of Tokira

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10-Aug-11, 10:27:46 PM »

When I worked at the accounting firm, I had the Kodak camera feed on in the background all day, it was my stress relief.  I shed tears on my desk when Mariah was hurt and still taking care of her babies, and Kaver was taking care of them all.
Now, I don't have that access at work, but I do read all the posts, it's just not the same size part of my day.  However, I must say that the *people* here are as big a draw to me now as the soap opera actions of the Falcons.  WE will never know what became of Kaver, but since Mariah was banded, at least we may someday know her fate.  Meanwhile, we can follow some of her descendants, which is great too...
Carol
WV
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: