THE FORUM

20-Apr-24, 07:15:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So, What Does Everyone Think about the Rochester Falcons Situation?  (Read 26086 times)
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 03-Sep-11, 09:13:52 PM »

I love that phrase.  As long as they face into the wind, I'll be there, too. It's the least I can do.

Paul

Thanks Paul!   clap

Peregrines know no borders.....
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 03-Sep-11, 09:55:41 PM »

A lot of us have forgotten that Archer did a great job of incubation.  What if one or more eggs had hatched?  That likely would have ensured that he had little time for Unity.  He was a good father last year and might have been an even better one this year.  We might even be comparing him to Kaver.

I love that phrase.  As long as they face into the wind, I'll be there, too. It's the least I can do.

Paul

One of the things I was most looking forward to was seeing Archer's parenting skills mature.  We have to have faith we'll have that chance next year.

Facing into the wind together...

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 03-Sep-11, 10:19:43 PM »

A lot of us have forgotten that Archer did a great job of incubation.  What if one or more eggs had hatched?  That likely would have ensured that he had little time for Unity.  He was a good father last year and might have been an even better one this year.  We might even be comparing him to Kaver.

I love that phrase.  As long as they face into the wind, I'll be there, too. It's the least I can do.

Paul

One of the things I was most looking forward to was seeing Archer's parenting skills mature.  We have to have faith we'll have that chance next year.

Facing into the wind together...

I know I'll be there with my face to the wind or anything else that comes along!  Wink

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 03-Sep-11, 10:42:01 PM »

Tears in my eyes as I read the quote.  Something to keep in mind.  Well said, Paul
Vandrefalk
Eyas

Like Count: 18

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 04-Sep-11, 03:58:28 PM »

Hi Karen!   wave  Miss you so much my friend.  Hope all is well.  Thanks for your thoughts about this.   happy

Miss you too -- all is well and I'll be in touch soon!!
Vandrefalk
« Last Edit: 04-Sep-11, 05:02:23 PM by Shaky » Logged
rushhen06
Fledgling

Like Count: 17

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 06-Sep-11, 11:01:45 AM »

Ei, thanks so much for posting map of location of nest box. I still am very hesitant about going downtown alone.  Guess it something to do with age. lol
Carol, I appreciated your offer of showing me where the Kodak location is.  I'll try to made a date that is convenient  for us both.  I'll be in touch. 
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 07-Sep-11, 01:05:21 AM »

I had a good falcon summer.  I got to experience courtship, egg-laying, and incubation through  rfalconcam.  Afterwards, I got to experience the post-nesting life of a peregrine pair through the reports by MAK, Carol, and others. I followed Quest, Kendal and Harlequin, and got to see a fuzzball become a falcon. Finally, I spent lots of time with my own pair.  Even though they are far more experienced and in a milder climate, they only hatched one out of four, so that there could have been an nest failure here as well.

I missed out on seeing my falcon friends again during Fledge Weekend.  With only a single juvenile at my site, I also missed out on talon tag.

I keep thinking of the poetic passage by Glenn Stewart of the SCPBRG, which I have posted before in its entirety:

...The strong and the lucky are the ones that end up on an eyrie ledge, face into the wind. And their annual production of young--their courtship, 33 days of meditative attention to their eggs, and 60 or more days of care and feeding of their young--is a hedge against the spring when they are no longer at that eyrie. So they each get this chance. They push their way out of an eggshell and struggle to hold their head up in a cold world. They grow and they fly. With strength, determination, and a measure of luck, they are out there each day, face into the wind.

Paul

Thank you so much, Paul.  I have tears in my eyes

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: