THE FORUM

23-Apr-24, 05:12:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A friend of mine is in Antarctica building a new runway  (Read 55304 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« on: 22-Oct-09, 07:03:39 AM »

I grew up with Jeff and he is in Antarctica for 6 months building a new runway called Pegasus White Ice Runway. The first few days he was there, it was - 142 degrees. So far, they have had good days and bad days. It's beautiful there and I'll share pics as I get them. Here's a few he sent. He is in McMurdo.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 22-Oct-09, 07:06:07 AM »

Some more pics

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22-Oct-09, 07:09:05 AM »

Blow Your Mind !!! What Your looking at in this picture DOESN'T exist!! It's called a "Fata Morgana". If you look at about center of this picture you'll see a ridge of semi-blurry mountains. In reality they're NOT there, but you can take a photo of the Phenomenon!! Google the word and check it out !!! SPOOKY!!!!

valhalla
« Reply #3 on: 22-Oct-09, 07:17:43 AM »

Thanks for sharing Donna!  bow These are Great Images.  notworthy My friend Lynn went to Antarctica in January for vacation (Newark to Miami to Argentina to the boat across the Drake).  25K!!!  scared blue I think it is neat to find out what the kids we grew up with are doing today.  Very cool!
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22-Oct-09, 07:22:19 AM »

Thanks for sharing Donna!  bow These are Great Images.  notworthy My friend Lynn went to Antarctica in January for vacation (Newark to Miami to Argentina to the boat across the Drake).  25K!!!  scared blue I think it is neat to find out what the kids we grew up with are doing today.  Very cool!

He is so lucky, I know it's freezing there but he's having a ball. The Emperor Penguins should be there soon and he will have loads of pics then. Can't wait. After the runway is done, he's off to New Zealand then Australia. NICE!!

valhalla
« Reply #5 on: 22-Oct-09, 08:09:36 AM »

Blow Your Mind !!! What Your looking at in this picture DOESN'T exist!! It's called a "Fata Morgana". If you look at about center of this picture you'll see a ridge of semi-blurry mountains. In reality they're NOT there, but you can take a photo of the Phenomenon!! Google the word and check it out !!! SPOOKY!!!!

We've seen many of these mirages (a common boat name, by the way) when boating off shore on those hot summer days.  They are pretty cool.
Dot_Forrester
Tiercel

Like Count: 50

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22-Oct-09, 12:29:38 PM »

good postThanks for sharing the fun photos, Donna. I loved the ice block snowman and the Fata Morgana.

Dot in PA
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23-Oct-09, 01:00:17 PM »

So today, my friend Jeff is drilling holes in the Ice for Divers from the BBC. New documentary coming soon?

Here's what Jeff said:  Talk about cold.... Had to drill 2 holes in the Ice for these Divers. They were filming for the BBC. The water temp was 27 degrees!!   tongue2

I'll post em as I get em.  Cheesy

valhalla
« Reply #8 on: 23-Oct-09, 04:44:56 PM »

This is VERY Cool Donna!  Thanks for sharing and I know I'm looking forward to the entire story!
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24-Oct-09, 06:44:05 AM »

A few more random pics from Jeff

Mt Erebus: He said it's been a little cranky lately

I love the night sky pic

valhalla
« Reply #10 on: 24-Oct-09, 06:51:36 AM »

I thought the "mountain" looked like it was blowing off a little "steam".  Rich is now following this thread - "wow", says he  clap
clm1950
Big Clutch

Like Count: 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24-Oct-09, 11:15:50 AM »

Terrific photos!  Thank you for sharing them.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24-Oct-09, 11:27:59 AM »

Terrific photos!  Thank you for sharing them.

Happy to clm.....I'll have more to post soon....stay tuned.

Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24-Oct-09, 10:19:10 PM »

Yes Thank you the pictures are so cool.  wave
Lizz
Eyas

Like Count: 7

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26-Oct-09, 04:30:07 PM »

Please keep posting the pics as your friend sends them.  They are wonderful and allow us to see the beauty in such a harsh area.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: